1951 TO-30 PTO Question

scotty16

Hello! I recently purchased a 1951 Massey Ferguson TO30 tractor. I would like to use it to keep the grass around the fields down. Can you folks recommend a brush cutter for this older tractor. Also are there any special attachments I need to use a new brush cutter.

Thanks!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a classic tractor.

Most any decent brand will do fine. I would go with something about 6' max. 5' may be a good option but I don't recall the width of that tractor. The best size is probably something just a little wider then the rear tires.

There's no special attachments. You will want to remove the top link of the 3-point and replace it with a chain of similar length. That way, if you catch something and it kicks the cutter up, it won't damage that top link or something internal. Also, make sure the cutter has a slip clutch. If it binds, it won't tear the insides out of your tractor. If the cutter has shear pins anywhere, keep some spares on hand.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
You will most likely need an overrunning clutch (ORC) as well. With a rotary cutter, the momentum of the blades turning can push the tractor when you put in the clutch, unless you have a live pto or an independent pto. I know the PTO in the Ford 8N etc. was transmission driven, suspect the Ferguson to be very similar. An ORC should be available through a dealer, at Tractor Supply or similar stores, or online.

IIRC, that size tractor works best with 5' rotary cutters. Good luck with your new tractor!