Good Bye my '05 Friend

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I got a ton of calls on the 05 with 4024 hrs. I sold it easily at the asking price of $5250 and had a waiting list of 3 . The regular maintenance was a big plus but the fact that it was documented under the hood helped too. The hydro lift was a plus as quite a few older folks were thinking about later on in life. No smoke and no oil used- quite an engine- I'm glad the '11 has the same one in it. Look at the picture and it is hard to tell which one had the 4024 hrs except for the faded paint. The old black cat that looks like a rag there in front, wasn't part of the sale- she stays. Good bye my old '05 buddy- I'll sorta miss ya, but the younger sibling is showing off already._Zipping here and there -up and down the pond levees- in H.-- Such a Showoff. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3657.JPG
    DSCF3657.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 399
  • DSCF3741.JPG
    DSCF3741.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 400

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh, the stories it could tell.

Glad to hear it was a quick sell.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I spilled the beans about the rear u joints being replaced twice, occasional stubborn shift, the boots, and showed him my testimonial that flexilite fan used in their catalog along with the picture of the 'bota and pups, but never mentioned the cow trying to drive it,nor the time the coon or other critter relieved himself all over the front seat and backrest.Ahh yes then there was the time that I was driving it and almost fell off an emban..... oh ,but that's another story. bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on selling da 05. Wish you were closer as I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Bordercollie, it must also feel satisfying the the '05 sold so quickly. Your dedication and superb work on the machine caused that quick sale, no questions asked.

As you are aware, I'm a proud owner of a 2011 RTV 900 XT worksite model. Since this is my first RTV, I have no means to compare it to the previous models other than the RTV 900 GP09 that I test drove. You on the other hand have the ability to provide a detailed and fair comparison. I, for one would invite reading of your comparison of the '05 to the '11.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Zoom, Doc and Pepr. If I didn't have an RTV I would have wanted to get my '05 - They are real workers. I posted some of the comparisons under the "new RTV for me? " but Here are a few things I noticed. When I bought the '05 there wasn't much negotiating room off of the MSRP. The machines are discounted more now it seems. I got mine for almost 2 grand less than list and 60 month 0% interest. That was the deal maker. On the differences: the braking is much easier and softer. My particular '05 shifted good most of the time- the '11 has it's moments being quirky too. The take off is something else.The '11 will go the same speed but get there faster. It will pull a heavy load in H from a dead stop- I'm talking a pulling load- I seldom carried over 4/500 pounds in the bed.- Just my heavy tool box and "stuff". .My '05 will need to be in L most of the time pulling the heavy skidded mineral troughs- and that is sooo slow. I won't pull in H in the '11 if it stresses the machine. but did try it and it will do it easily without grunting like the '05. The redesigned drive shaft has boots on the ends and is very quite unlike the '05 2 piece design with the carrier bearing in between. Of coarse the these drive shaft boots look expensive to replace and may catch straddled thorn bushes, I think anyway. I will think up some more in a bit. :) bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Also, The rear ujoints have been improved with the '11 model. Only time will tell how much longer the greaseable joints will last over the non greasable ones like in the '05. If they are kept sorta clean anyway. I can say that my '05s have been replaced 2 x. The last time I put in aftermarkets with zerks. Also the new seat is growing on me although I can bet it will crack like the '05 did -right where it bends where you slide off the seat near the brake lever. Also the contours in it will hold water..not good especially in the winter.I really like the extra curve to the front bumper though . It will add extra protection to those headlights. I am pleased with the '11 but will always have special attachment to my '05.It showed me what a real machine could accomplish- heck, I would probably have an office job if not for it- working 8 to 5 with weekends off ;) .. bordercollie

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks!!

Glad it all worked out my friend.
Hope you get a long life out of the new machne
Your friend Mark

Thank you my friend. I am on the heels of the 50 hr service after just over a month with the 2011. So far I really like it! By the way, as of today, I've had almost 50 calls on the '05.They are still a sought after, fine machine. bordercollie

DIXIEDOG

50 hrs in just over a month :eek: That's more than I put on my 500 in a year and a half. Sounds like you really get some use out of your buggy.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dixiedog, I averaged 600 hrs a year on the '05. The RTV makes my life so much easier here on the farm.Me being 5' 2", trucks are hard to get into in and out of at all the multitude of gates we have and by the time the truck would be stopped and the doors opened the newborn calves and their mamas would be awake and taking off. Then you can't see good over the truck hood and can run over a "snuggled down in the grass" calf. The RTV or 4whlr is the only way to go out there. It will get a real workout soon because calving season starts in October and runs through about Thanksgiving. Hopefully I won't have any mad mama cows trying to get into it like with the last one. Those mamas are real protective of the new born calves when we go to tag,weigh and iodine the belly button. We use a 4whlr too but everyday during that time twice a day, we have to ride pastures and look for problems. I'm the only one that drives the RTV though. The '05 did a great job and I look for the same out of this one. bordercollie

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No funeral Art. She left in good condition.The guy that bought it wouldn't drive it but just listened to the engine.He knew all about the braking and shifting too. Although he never had one , he said "he had common sense"..
I glad though that I have a new machine to break in for some person in the future- 5 or 6 years from now. In fact, one of the folks on the waiting list for the '05 left their # and told me to call them on it. New ujoints, front end checked when boots replaced,new solenoid, parking brake switch. with the exception of the drive shaft she had a make over. I told him that the drive shaft would go a good long while but if he worked it real heavy it would need replacing probably in the next year and he could spend $200 to 700 doing that depending on which shaft he chose-new design or old. The key is good maintenance which I did.The funeral would be for me if I had to go without the RTV with this job of mine. I am glad I updated while I could resale the '05 though. I think it would have been harder to sale with say double the hrs.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's That Time Again

Well, it's been a fast 8 years since I posted this thread. Quite a relationship developed between me, my special puppies and the 2011 RTV. I was almost teary eyed this morning as the 2011 RTV 900 xt was loaded up and went to a new home. With 4,170 hours running like a new one- she had aged very gracefully.
It was time though, I made a commitment to sell when the machinery approached 4,200 hrs way back and stuck to it. She's off to her new home but doubt she will be treated as I treated her but do think she will perform well in her "retirement home". She'll be shuffling an elderly man to check his cows and will help keep him going with his bad eyesight and bad hip. It should be perfect for him- easy on and easy off, slow speeds so won't getting on and off won't be such a problem. He just couldn't swing the atv anymore he said.
I changed all the fluids and filters( all oem) , greased the ujoints and shifting bushings washed her and put in a new radio and a new seat cover ( that is stapled on($80) too. )
I can still see Belle my late, loyal BC ( still in my avatar laying down) sleeping quietly on the floorboard, as I worked on the fence and other projects. Dixie, my recent 2 year old puppy child also loves the RTV but is high strung. Ya'll old members remember when border collie Belle tried to drive the RTV and went into the ditch. That memory always makes me nostalgic ....http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14660&highlight=bordercollie+belle
Anyways the RTV is gone now but I'll still stick around here and worry ya'll and hopefully share new memories with the Roxor. bordercollie aka judy

Attachments

• KIMG0068 (1).jpg
    KIMG0068 (1).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 108

Kanook

Dang!...Think I learned more about RTVs from you Bordercollie than any other source..Am I going to have to get a Roxor to keep informed now?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ohh Kanook, my Canadian friend, you're very kind. You've been here as long as me or thereabouts. 2005 ... gee .. it does seem like just yesterday doesn't it.. I'm very attached to the folks here and look at 'em like family so I'll be around. Ha.. if I ever win the lottery, I'll remember "my folks" too .
God bless each of you :) collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
OHHHH MY Sweeet Lady...…...I cant believe how this time just goes on an on...Life is so wonderful and that fine machine has been part of that. Your tales of chasing calves, pulling them (plooosh plop) in the middle of the night, storm damage repaired, cages for wayward birds, taking care of the folk's place, breaking nails on stuck mechanisms, and on and on.
You my Friend and Sister with Christ are of a situation that never bothers my wife but the love for you is part of life. So sorry that our story together is limited to these pages. Jamie (Two Guns) is the lead Gentleman and YOU are the Heroine! Others walk in the door and mainly out.....lol...you help me so with the curse of the rude that cannot be ignored.

Not saying Goodbye; but just down the road will those wheels go...….BUT NEVER YOU

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Dennis my friend always, :) Those remembrances of the good old days made a lump in my throat. I didn't always think they were good days when they were happening haha but looking back I remember making it through with Him as my strength and with the encouragement of friends like you here on our forum.. the best RTV forum on earth.
My old friends here will always be special to me- after all we've been thru extreme hardships together - like only real families do . bordercollie