Replacement Battery for RTV 900

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dennis, in my manual, under the specifications page#8 in mine...( under engine) it says
Battery
12v cca :535 A RC :80 min. I think it is a 26 series . that would take care of the lwh size problems since they are supposedly all the same ...as long as it says 26 series.. Just make sure the posts are in the same configuration because the place where I go my aftermarket said they came both ways.

Mark.Sibole

Ill make sure i check mine today.Im sure my replacement is 800 cca.give me a bit of time to wake my old ass up and ill do everything i can to get all the numbers and even a picture for you.

Fitch

I took a look at the battery in my 2004 RTV900 this morning. It's a Deka 526RMF, 540 CCA, 665 CA.

Fitch

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
As always....YOU GUYS CAME THROUGH when needed.....Now can go shopping for sure.....God bless..........Dennis

banjo

I will throw my hat in the ring with the others that allude to you may be selling your battery short. I have a 2006 900 that is still using the original battery, and it too was run dead at least once...I had the belt to the alt. come off...I also have a M7040 tractor that was bought new in 2007 with the original bat. , but will probably need replacing next year. Middle of this week will give it a work out, as the horses will need a big bale and the temp is going to be pretty low. I am not big on paying dealer prices on some things, but I think Kubota has got some good batterys on their stuff...Banjo

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I will throw my hat in the ring with the others that allude to you may be selling your battery short. ...Banjo

Thanks Mr. Banjo........hmmm that sounds like something Barry Manilow might say???.........anyway........What is peace of mind worth??.....Yes, for sure could stretch another who knows how long out of the original battery in my 05.....BUT.....On a cold, in the 20's or low 30's, if you don't get it on the first kick.....forget it cause the poor old battery has given it's last gasp..........

What's it worth to not have MRS D&D struggle to start HER machine??.....Fail at it and then have HER pull out the "aircraft starter cart" complete with fire extinguisher while she struggles to do the whole thing to PROVE that she can.......NOT SOMETHING I LIKE TO PUT HER THROUGH.............

Yes, for laughs it's worth a lot to watch from the window as I finish my morning coffee and see the struggles the hired hand from HELL go through as he tries to get it started. For sure he has no comprehension of what a glow plug is or how far to turn the key and hold it.....He thinks the parking brake light is the glow plug indicator............Then the worst is to hear him GRIIIINNNND that poor starter till it just hummmmms............NOT pleasant as I ponder how much a starter rebuild is gonna set him back out of his $5 an hour that I so readily pay him......but the best part is when he pushes it out of the barn and over to the hill by hand so he can get it going fast before he puts it in gear, turns on the key, and gets it to start like he does his 54 rust bucket Dodge that Uncle Hebert gave him...................

So yes, Bud, I can nurse that puppy along for another year for sure.......But....I really don't need the giggles.........God bless...........Dennis

banjo

I can understand your being a little concerned about the 05...I was thinking about the OP with the 2010 in my previous reply....I did enjoy the read...Banjo

herman48

Thanks Mr. Banjo........hmmm that sounds like something Barry Manilow might say???.........anyway........What is peace of mind worth??.....Yes, for sure could stretch another who knows how long out of the original battery in my 05.....BUT.....On a cold, in the 20's or low 30's, if you don't get it on the first kick.....forget it cause the poor old battery has given it's last gasp..........

What's it worth to not have MRS D&D struggle to start HER machine??.....Fail at it and then have HER pull out the "aircraft starter cart" complete with fire extinguisher while she struggles to do the whole thing to PROVE that she can.......NOT SOMETHING I LIKE TO PUT HER THROUGH.............

Yes, for laughs it's worth a lot to watch from the window as I finish my morning coffee and see the struggles the hired hand from HELL go through as he tries to get it started. For sure he has no comprehension of what a glow plug is or how far to turn the key and hold it.....He thinks the parking brake light is the glow plug indicator............Then the worst is to hear him GRIIIINNNND that poor starter till it just hummmmms............NOT pleasant as I ponder how much a starter rebuild is gonna set him back out of his $5 an hour that I so readily pay him......but the best part is when he pushes it out of the barn and over to the hill by hand so he can get it going fast before he puts it in gear, turns on the key, and gets it to start like he does his 54 rust bucket Dodge that Uncle Hebert gave him...................

So yes, Bud, I can nurse that puppy along for another year for sure.......But....I really don't need the giggles.........God bless...........Dennis

You pay your hired hand $5 an hour? Where did you buy him? Do you keep him chained in the shed between jobs? :wink: Seriously, here in Alabama hired hands are paid much more per hour--and here the economy is depressed!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did anyone mention marine batteries yet? If you're like me and run the stereo or lights without the machine running, it may be worthwhile considering.

Have y'all seen these new Anti-Gravity jump starter/batteries yet?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ5Z5F2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

The thing is the size of a paperback book but will jump start something like a V8 upwards of 30 times before it needs a re-charge. This is my insurance I keep with me.

There's other versions out there at a variety of prices.

TRIBUTE100

While we're on the subject of batteries, I'd like to know if anyone has some recommendations on a good float battery charger that can be mounted under the seat on my RTV 900. I currently have a cheap float charger from Harbor Freight (~$10) on my unit and under the hood on a couple of vehicles I don't drive much. I also currently have a BatteryMinder Model 12248 Charger/maintainer/full time desulfator/conditioner in my shop that I use on my travel trailer deep cycle batteries during the off season and for occasional charger for other batteries.
I need a charger one that will work on standard AGM batteries (which is a lead acid type), as I am changing over to these as my old batteries need replacing. I need one that I can permanently attach to the vehicles and then just plug them in when they sit idle. Here are 4 links of chargers that should work :

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LX3AS6[/ame]

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200589669_200589669

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S[/ame]

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200438116_200438116?cm_mmc=Bing-{adtype}-_-Automotive-_-Batteries, Chargers + Jump Starters-_-167823

While all of these could be mounted under a hood or the seat of the RTV, the last link for the Schumacher Onboard Battery Maintainer — 12 Volt, 1.5 Amp, Model# SE-1-12S is made to permanently attach and will not drain the battery if connected, but not plugged in. It also has some good reviews.

Thanks for your help.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of the Battery Tender brand. I have 3 or 4 and use these things almost daily and they've never failed me. This is what I use on my RTV every day.

I also have a Shumacher. As I recall, the Shumacher puts out 1.5 amp compared to the Battery Tender's .75 amp so it puts out more. Also, I think I remember that the Shumacher's pig-tail connections aren't big enough for a regular battery post or terminal bolt. It's made for the little screws normally found on ATV batteries. No big deal to cut those off and put on bigger ones.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I keep this kind ( Genius) on my little Toyota pick up. I used the eyelets on the battery and ran the quick disconnect pigtail out under the edge of the hood leave the unit on my truck dash and plug/unplug there. Also have the power cord easy to connect to.- not waterproof- but resistant.
It has been excellent for me. different sizes available [ame]http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1424190379&sr=1-1&keywords=genius+charger[/ame] BIL also keeps them on his old collector cars. collie

Mannie

I replaced mine with the OEM battery because the original battery in my 07 lasted 7 years up here in Ontario Canada! The machine was outside all winter long every winter.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I will throw my hat in the ring with the others that allude to you may be selling your battery short. I have a 2006 900 that is still using the original battery, and it too was run dead at least once...I had the belt to the alt. come off...I also have a M7040 tractor that was bought new in 2007 with the original bat. , but will probably need replacing next year. Middle of this week will give it a work out, as the horses will need a big bale and the temp is going to be pretty low. I am not big on paying dealer prices on some things, but I think Kubota has got some good batterys on their stuff...Banjo
My Kubota tractor (Grand L 3010) battery lasted longer than any battery I've ever had. From April 2002 till March 2015. 13 years. And I never used the battery tender on it ever. It just worked. I bought another Kubota battery to replace it, but I am considering using a battery tender / charger on it. I've used those on my ATV batteries that I was having to replace every few years and have extended the life by over double.

My 06 RTV still has the original battery in it and I'm not inclined to change it out early. I'll see how far she'll go and hope for the best.

TRIBUTE100

BATTERY CHARGER/MAINTAINER

I recently installed another battery charger/maintainer on my RTV 900 as shown in the picture. I picked this up at Advance Auto for $28 less 20% (coupon) the other day to replace an cheaper one I had used for about a year.

This unit is 1.5amp, heavy duty, weather proof, for use with lead acid batteries. Is has a built in magnet, but I used 3 cable ties to secure it to the frame above the battery. Although my wife has been using it quite a bit lately doing some landscaping around the house, it may sometimes sit idle for a week or two. I just plug it in to an extension cord I have coming out near the hand brake. The unit comes with a rather short electrical cord, but you could plug it directly in to power right above the battery.

I had already installed on of these on my Chevy 2500HD/496ci to keep a new AGM battery maintained. For some reason GM only provided enough space for a group size 34/78 battery that seemed to undersized for that engine. So I like to make sure it's fully charged, and with the new AGM, it always starts strong.

Here is a link to the charger on the Advance Auto website:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...erm=battery+chargers+&+accessories#fragment-1

Attachments

• KUBOTA BATTERY CHARGER.jpg
    KUBOTA BATTERY CHARGER.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 127

Heatwave

I mounted a Battery Tender Jr. pigtail set to the batteries on my Harley, my RTV900, and my ZD21 mower. The units cost about $25/ea on Amazon Prime. When the machines aren't in use, I plug in the battery tenders. Seems to preserve battery life. I recommend them.

c0ke

If your looking for a good battery replacement for the group 26r battery, then go with an odyssey pc1200t battery. I have odyssey batteries for my watercrafts and they are great. I bought them in 1999 and they are still running perfectly.

doggman

Battery group size?

Does anybody know the exact battery group size for the RTV900XT (2011)? The battery has to be a maintenance free type since the hold down bar is right where the cell caps would be located. There's nothing on the battery to indicate a size.

My battery died with no warning. One moment it was fine and then the next moment it was completely dead. Fortunately I wasn't in the hinterlands...

It won't take a charge and a load tester indicates 0 amps even though it holds 12 volts. Weird. Maybe a cell ruptured internally and it shorted out - no indication of an external leak.

TRIBUTE100

Battery Size

My 2010 RTV 900 call for a Group 21R size battery. I also had written down that alternate sizes were 24F and 26R. I posted the following in February of this year about replacing my OEM battery with an AGM battery. I haven't done it yet, but here is what I said:

(Posted 2/7/15)
I'm one of these who doesn't like to let my batteries get too old even though they seem to be working OK. So the original battery in my 2010 RTV 900 is about 5 years old. I have had no problems, but decided to research to see what I could replace it with something bigger and better than OEM.

I just recently replaced the battery on my Chevy 2500HD 4WD 496 CI gas engine with a Auto Zone Duralast Platinum AGM Battery and there was a noticeable difference in the cold starting power compared to the standard lead acid battery.

The bottom of my RTV 900 battery compartment measures 9" long X 7 7/8" wide. The OEM battery, a group 26R size, is mounted with both terminals towards the back of the machine, negative terminal to the outside. Auto Zone has an AGM platinum battery that will fit in that compartment, but will require a few modifications. I don't believe the anchor bracket will work and the terminals will be in a different position because the battery will have to be turned 90 degrees from the OEM style. The cable coming from the alternator may have to be re-routed.

I went by Auto Zone today and measured the battery which turned out to be different than the specs:
Length: 8 3/4"
Width: 6 1/2"
Height: 7 3/4" (including terminals)

The AGM battery has 680CCA compared to the 540CCA on the OEM, in addition to the other advantages, One being the ability to run electrical accessories longer without the engine running. The link below list the advantages and the specs.
The big minus is the cost: $174 with exchange

Any comments would be appreciated.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...19480_0_46205/