GPS for Spraying ..etc

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've been told by about a GPS that is a dream to use . It evidently attaches to the tractor by suction and keeps you on track according to figures you put in. Bad part- it sells for around a $1000. However ,with the high costs of chemicals , it wouldn't take long to pay for itself. I do have my homemade foam marker but on a boomless sprayer ,but the marker only gives a mark of where I have traveled and it is up to me to guess how far over to go. I have trails of weeds sometimes a foot wide or sometimes pie shaped where I have missed a bit . Then where I have overlapped , the pastures look good. Has anyone used these GPS units? I saw one on Messicks site but not sure if it is the same but would like first hand information or thoughts on this. Thanks , Bordercollie

urednecku

I've seen in some farmers magazine's they have them that will drive the tractor for you, say to harvest peanuts, potatoes, etc following within an inch or two of the exact same track they were planted in. Claim they will pay for themselves over a few seasons by maximizing recovery of produce, because there is no way you can see the original path, especially with the vines covering the ground.
Google "farm gps" & I came up with a couple sites... http://www.gpsfarm.com/Default.aspx and http://www.gpsfarming.net/index.php

Looks interesting!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the links urednecku. My neighbors have a fancy GPS on their tractors that do pretty much drive the things. I just want a simple unit for the DK40 or even the RTV. Thats is a lot of $$ and since I had a lot of expenses this year , I won't be buying right away but do like to do my homework before I spend a $1000. Ya gotta have dreams and plans , right? Thanks again, Bordercollie

urednecku

That one looks good, too. Yea, I've been dreaming of easier and more efficient ways to do things like fertilize, herbicide, etc. too. That would even make bushogging or cutting hay more efficient. I was also thinking of one I could mark a spot with so I could come back later to pull a stump, fill a hole, etc. keep looking around, & keep us informed what you find.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, Even with the foam marker , I get off the mark some because of the guessing how far over to turn since I am boomless . And on the Rotowiper ,the weeds will sometimes interfere with the dollops of foam -and then viewing them is hindered by the weeds especially weeds like goatweed. It seems to just hide the dollops. I am still doing homework but so far, the $795 is the lowest price I have found.The chemicals are so expensive that I know I could make it pay for itself in 2 years or less if I just used it for spraying and then if you consider the high cost of fertilizer ,it could probably do it in the first year! Now I will do the research to make sure the good stuff I hear isn't just hype.The rancher I know said you just program your swath width in and the display keeps you in line with a diagram something like you see in an airplane landing screen{ at least what you see on tv movies) I will find out his brand next time I see him. Here's hoping !! Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I found this source too. http://cpufarmer.com/products.html This price is less and the fellow that owns the business personally answered my questions and is a farmer . So I guess it up to Santa or me to see how things develop. Shhh ! I think the Santa thing may work out. ;-) So off to do more research. Bordercollie

rback33

I think that setup would work well for you. The basic system without the auto steer is handy. My buddy has a couple similar types in his big Ag tractors. I used one extensively this fall when I helped him drill wheat. They are a breeze once you get used to them. I can't wait until he has nicer equipment and go to the auto steer though! I know people that watch movies in the tractor while they farm.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think that setup would work well for you. The basic system without the auto steer is handy. My buddy has a couple similar types in his big Ag tractors. I used one extensively this fall when I helped him drill wheat. They are a breeze once you get used to them. I can't wait until he has nicer equipment and go to the auto steer though! I know people that watch movies in the tractor while they farm.
That is true. My neighbors have a JD with the self drive. I looked inside that tractor and it is spacious on the inside and has 2 seats. I think it was a little out of my budget though because it was several hundred thousand $. - That may have been the new cotton picker? I just want the simplest GPS that will tell me how far over to go and keep me close to the mark. Something to wish and save for if "santa " aka the boss doesn't come thru. I do like the looks of the centerline but the other brand outback s2 is a couple of hundred cheaper- at the same time the rancher I know up north of me clarified that his was a centerline , was easy to use and was a good product. Just wish I could see an outback in use. Thanks for the imput everyone and I will keep ya'll informed. Bordercollie

urednecku

I want one too, but it's not feasible for a while, with my small place and lack of $$$, but I'll be waiting to hear how they work for ya. Hopefully they'll drop in price a bit in the next couple years, too.

Heck, maybe next year you'll be ready to up-grade, and I can get yours for half price?:hide:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
IT'S HERE

Santa brought it last week- a little late but really just on time!! I sure have a good B-I-L! Here's a picture of it . I like the fact the manual is spiral bound and well made -It also comes with a laminated quick start pamphlet. I am thinking if this is any indication of the GPS's construction-I have a fine piece of equipment. :) It was $739 so I think I will have payback quickly with the more efficient use of chemicals. :) :) etc. Bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3019.JPG
    DSCF3019.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF3020.JPG
    DSCF3020.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 113

Diamond Dave

FYI, be careful how you route your antenna wire. Ours at work rubbed and then the unit was unable to receive a signal. The wire as you can tell is real flimsy!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Very Good point Diamond Dave. I'll probably use some of the corrugated plastic wire protection split wire covers .Thanks! Bordercollie

Goat

MAN! I'd never even THINK I NEEDED one of those! I'm not "large scale" like some of you guys, either, though. I just figure that if I missed it, God wanted it missed.