My new (well, to me) PSD 7.3

mobilus

Howdy all! I finally had enough of trying to tow with the 1/2 ton Dodge Ram 4X4...so I found this and bought it...tell me what you think.

2002 F-250 Crew Cab Short bed, 168K, 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, very clean. $11,877...good price?

Here's a few pics, the last one is all that I'm paying insurance on at present...well, vehicles, anyway.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00983.JPG
    DSC00983.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00988.JPG
    DSC00988.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 86

PBinWA

That's a nice rig! I just traded in my 99 F250 SD and I kind of miss it already.

I'm surfing CL for a 1 ton beater but only want to spend less than $5K.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like it. It looks like NEW!!! :tiphat:

I have a soft spot for the 7.3's. I had a F350 dually with a 7.3 w crew cab. Awesome truck. I think it had 240k on it when I sold it a couple years ago.

mobilus

Thanks, guys! I thought I got a good deal on it. It had a brake controller and a gooseneck hitch already. Thinking I probably saved several hundred on that alone. I'm already looking at the info on the diesel sites...no money for upgrades, but getting some good advice there.

N

Nicahawk

Thanks, guys! I thought I got a good deal on it. It had a brake controller and a gooseneck hitch already. Thinking I probably saved several hundred on that alone. I'm already looking at the info on the diesel sites...no money for upgrades, but getting some good advice there.
I traded an '02 exactly like that one for my new one and I miss the 7.3 a lot. You will love that truck, and I think you got a good deal.

OBTW...I have 12 - 15 new oil filters I will give you of you want them. I used to buy them by the case. These are manufactured by Deutsch here in the states. I always considered them top shelf. PM me.

shinnlinger

Hey,

I have an 02 f-350 doublecab 7.3 myself...mine is a dually flatbed, (I think there is a shot of it in my dumptruck thread) but the same rig. If you drive it much think about chipping it for economy, and I have been running mine on homemade biodiesel w/out troubs

Erik

That's a nice rig! I just traded in my 99 F250 SD and I kind of miss it already.

I'm surfing CL for a 1 ton beater but only want to spend less than $5K.

Green Acres - Ks, Ne, Mo ag related bi-weekly ad sheet has a couple dealers in it who advertise several decent looking trucks that meet your $$ range. if you think it's be worth trecking to the KC area to pick one up and drive it home.
www.greenacressells.com

good luck

PBinWA

Green Acres - Ks, Ne, Mo ag related bi-weekly ad sheet has a couple dealers in it who advertise several decent looking trucks that meet your $$ range. if you think it's be worth trecking to the KC area to pick one up and drive it home.
www.greenacressells.com

good luck

Thanks Erik,

I'm not sure I want to trek out to Kansas to pick up a truck. I guess I could tow my trailer out and then use the truck to tow my Durango back on the trailer. But I think with the cost of fuel it would be a wash.

My bigger problem is that I don't have a really good idea of what I want. Sometimes I want a Unimog, then I see a nice dump truck, then I see a nice old Chevy 3+3, too many choices. :pat:

shinnlinger

I know that trouble PB,

I cant justify having my truck, but I dont know what I want to replace it with and I am spoiled by being able to do anything with mine. Vacation with the family, haul; gravel and firewood fror my grandmother when on vacation with my family. buy a cheap brush hog I see for sale while on a vacation with my family, pick up virtually any peice of rusty metal I find on the side of the road (Like oil tanks and riding lawnmowers) etc...

The thing does it all.

Erik

Thanks Erik,

I'm not sure I want to trek out to Kansas to pick up a truck. I guess I could tow my trailer out and then use the truck to tow my Durango back on the trailer. But I think with the cost of fuel it would be a wash.

My bigger problem is that I don't have a really good idea of what I want. Sometimes I want a Unimog, then I see a nice dump truck, then I see a nice old Chevy 3+3, too many choices. :pat:

just think of it as a challenge - like Smokey & the Bandit.
or a short touring vacation - drive out on I-90, see the badlands, then cut south on I-29, pick up the new wheels, and go back home on I-80... I bet you could do it in under 60 hours... :respect:

PBinWA

just think of it as a challenge - like Smokey & the Bandit.
or a short touring vacation - drive out on I-90, see the badlands, then cut south on I-29, pick up the new wheels, and go back home on I-80... I bet you could do it in under 60 hours... :respect:

I've done those roads before. I drove from Orlando, FL to Portland, OR in 3.5 days once. The last time I went through the Badlands was after 9/11 on my "unplanned" drive home from Chicago.

pappy19

As was said, the 7.3 was the last of the good Ford diesels. I had a 2002 and sold it at 182k. It was the best truck I have ever owned. The only weak point is the transmission. I would assume at 180+ miles on yours that the tranny has been replaced or rebuilt. If you do tow alot, you should add a Transgo Tugger shift kit(Websites $150), an extra tranny cooler(most RV shops $100), and an external tranny filter(Summit Racing $35). These add-ons will save you $4,000 in new tranny and torque converter costs. For more info go to www.powerstrokenation.com and they have a good 7.3 forum.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good bump Pappy w/ good info. :thumb:

PB, did you ever get you a beater?

cj7

Nice truckl! I have a 2001.

If it is an auto I would switch the cooler to a 2003 cooler from a 6.0 truck. It nearly doubles the cooling capacity. It is also a much taller cooler that actually gets airflow through it. I also went with a deep pan and Royal Purple fluid. But I did all this when the original stock tranny failed. I can tow a 2 place car hauler and never pass 180 on the trans temp gauge now.

I have posted it before but there is lots of information on these trucks here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Ferguson85

I liked the old Ford 250 internationals. I think Ford Diesel went downhill when the switched to powerstroke. But I am a dodge cummins man