TC24D

Missy

Missy,

Like Jerry said, I have a 2003 NH TC24D. It has been a good little tractor. I'm over 800 hours on it now. I maintain a little over 7 1/2 acres with it. No horses, but my daughter would love to have some. If I knew what I was doing I would probably give in a get a couple.:yum:

Anyway, tractor wise I love it. Sometimes I wish it was a little bigger, but then all of a sudden I'm doing something that tells me I bought the right size. My neighbor has a 36 HP Long. He likes my tractor much better. He says it is better size for what we do and he likes the NH loader design better. I can actually fit more stuff in my bucket because of the way the are designed.

I've had a couple of little fluid leaks, but nothing that wasn't taken care of by tightening a line or a bolt here and there. There is a bit of the problem where the seat mount develops some stress cracks, but usually a piece of steel run underneath the seat will fix that problem.

I use the 60" MMM to mow about 5 acres. I then use a 4' cutter to mow the other 2.5+ acres 3 or 4 times a year. I also use a 60" tiller, 60" box blade, 60" scraper blade, and an 12" auger. Also use it to pull my little trailer around the yard, I guess I also use to put our big trailer in place. It moves our 28' camper like it isn't even there. I used it to build our 30x48 pole barn. I also dug a small Koi pond for my wife's flower garden - she now wants to redo the pond and enlarge it.

I love my little blue beast. Just wish I had a mini-excavator to go with it.

Oh, some of the things that changed on the newer DA lines was the placement of the throttle lever and the headlight switch and they changed the front headlights. I like my throttle lever placement better, but I would like the new headlight location because my knee always hits the switch and turns my headlights off and I end up in the dark for a second or 2 (like that is unusual) until I figure out what happened. Headlight wise, I like the looks of mine better, but the new ones supposed shine a little more to the side. Either way, you'll want to add some to the ROPS as the loader will block the lights on front anyway. Any way, the new TC26DA is pretty much the same as a TC24DA, except 2 extra HP. I don't believe the changed the HST anyway, so that will still be your limiting factor. The hydro pressure relieve valve will usually kick before your motor runs out of power.
ummm.... MMM, ROPS? Is there an acronym list around here? I got the hydrostatic transmission (HST) I think...

And like some of you, I'm still wondering what a pulverizer is. Any thoughts on whether our first investment should be a bush hog or a regular mowing deck, and what size? I am so tired of taking 5 hrs to mow 5 acres, and that's not even accounting for the quarter acre pond... Most of it's pasture, but we do have some pretty heavy brush around the pond.

COMMON TRACTOR ACRONYMS

BH= Backhoe
FEL= Front End Loader
TPH= Three Point hitch
3PH= Three Point hitch
CUT= compact utility tractor
SCUT= subcompact utility tractor
PHD= post hole digger
PTO= power take off
MPTO= midmount power take off
FPTO= front power take off (fairly rare)
4WD= 4 wheel drive
MFWD=Mechanical Front Wheel Drive
HST=Hydrostatic transmission
ROPS=Roll over protection system
FROPS=Folding, Roll over protection system
FOPS = Falling Object Protection Structure
EROPS = Enclosed Roll Over Protection Structure
TLB=Tractor, Loader, Backhoe
MMM=MidMount Mower
WW = wheel weights
FEW = front end weights
WFT = water filled tires (as opposed to WTF! ) sorry...
biggrin.gif

HL = head light
TL = tail light
CL = canopy light
WL = work light
AC = Air conditioning
PS = power steering
QA = quick attach bracketry (for FEL and related implements)
LR = low range (transmission)
HR = high range (transmission)
SS = shuttle shift (transmission)
SV = spool valve (used for T&T)
T&T = top and tilt (for 3-point equipment)
EHV = electric over hydraulic valve (for grapples etc. on the FEL)
ORB = O-ring boss (hydraulic fitting)
ORFS = O-ring face seal (hydraulic fitting)
JIC = Joint Industry Conference Standard (hydraulic fitting)
NPT = National Pipe Thread (hydraulic fitting)
ALT = alternator
GEN = generator
SL = Self Leveling (Loader)
QC = Quick Coupling (or maybe Quick Connect) (Hydraulic hose joiners)
SCV=secondary control valve

Last edited:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jim-
Nice looking horse! I've got a bay arab, Tim (my avatar), and Mike's got a palamino Rocky Mountain, Dusty.

We've got a double slant load trailer with LQ- when you say you move your trailer around with your tractor, you mean something like this? How?

Missy

Autumn is our other paint. She just turned 3. I'll look around and find a better picture. This one is of her rubbing on a tree.

We have a two horse bumper pull and a 3 horse slant load goose neck. This is the only picture I can find. It is in the background behind a couple of other trailers.

I put a drawbar on the BX and a top stabilizer from Northern tool. We have two hitches to slide into the receiver. One has the ball set low to go under the manure spreader hitch (we converted the manure spreader from the pin hitch to a ball hitch) and the other has the ball higher than the receiver to hit the hitch on the bumper bull.

I have a different setup on the L3400. It is a frame that fits between the lower arms and the top of the three point. on the bottom between the lower arms there is a hitch receiver. at the top is a ball to pick up the gooseneck. It's not as fancy as the one in the picture, I got it at either Tractor Supply or Southern States. Can't remember which one.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC00064.JPG
    DSC00064.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 21
  • draw_bar_stab.gif
    draw_bar_stab.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 71
  • gn_hitch.gif
    gn_hitch.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 69

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics Jim. Very nice place you got there. :thumb:

Thanks for the acronym list Paul. Good job. :applause: :tiphat:

Missy,
Another tidbit that I did not see mentioned.
used tractors in good shape hold their value very well. So well in fact it might be cheaper in the long run for you to buy new if you are financing part of the purchase. Better loan rates on new equipment. Other times I found that the cost of going new vs 5 years old was 1,000. Plus you get a warranty with new. Normally I prefer to buy used but I shopped for over a year and never found a used one priced right with low hours (like you've found) for a decent price. Hope your luck is better in that regard.

As for finish mower or bush hog. Sounds liek you need a bush hog in a bad way. I got a medium duty one for $600.00 while I paid 1800 for a rear finish mower. (the mid mount finish mower was 2400). The medium duty bush hog does great. I've tackled acres of 5' multiflora and I came out the winner. :D

Missy

We saw, we liked, we're going back on Sunday

Missy,

Like Jerry said, I have a 2003 NH TC24D. It has been a good little tractor. I'm over 800 hours on it now. I maintain a little over 7 1/2 acres with it. No horses, but my daughter would love to have some. If I knew what I was doing I would probably give in a get a couple.:yum:

Anyway, tractor wise I love it. Sometimes I wish it was a little bigger, but then all of a sudden I'm doing something that tells me I bought the right size. My neighbor has a 36 HP Long. He likes my tractor much better. He says it is better size for what we do and he likes the NH loader design better. I can actually fit more stuff in my bucket because of the way the are designed.

I've had a couple of little fluid leaks, but nothing that wasn't taken care of by tightening a line or a bolt here and there. There is a bit of the problem where the seat mount develops some stress cracks, but usually a piece of steel run underneath the seat will fix that problem.

I use the 60" MMM to mow about 5 acres. I then use a 4' cutter to mow the other 2.5+ acres 3 or 4 times a year. I also use a 60" tiller, 60" box blade, 60" scraper blade, and an 12" auger. Also use it to pull my little trailer around the yard, I guess I also use to put our big trailer in place. It moves our 28' camper like it isn't even there. I used it to build our 30x48 pole barn. I also dug a small Koi pond for my wife's flower garden - she now wants to redo the pond and enlarge it.

I love my little blue beast. Just wish I had a mini-excavator to go with it.

Oh, some of the things that changed on the newer DA lines was the placement of the throttle lever and the headlight switch and they changed the front headlights. I like my throttle lever placement better, but I would like the new headlight location because my knee always hits the switch and turns my headlights off and I end up in the dark for a second or 2 (like that is unusual) until I figure out what happened. Headlight wise, I like the looks of mine better, but the new ones supposed shine a little more to the side. Either way, you'll want to add some to the ROPS as the loader will block the lights on front anyway. Any way, the new TC26DA is pretty much the same as a TC24DA, except 2 extra HP. I don't believe the changed the HST anyway, so that will still be your limiting factor. The hydro pressure relieve valve will usually kick before your motor runs out of power.

Hi Again-

Mike and I just got back from looking at the 2001 TC24D. It's in great condition. Not a leak or a grease spot on it. Lit off on the first turn over. No exessive smoke. Smoothed out on the idle almost immediately. All the controls were smooth, no glitches or rough spots. OK- the seat has a tear in it. The tires are in between AG and Turf, with plenty of tread. For those wanting to know what a pulvierizer is, it's basically an areator (no power).

Since it was already dark, we're going back Sunday afternoon to double check a few things. We did look at the parking spot for the tractor, no oil spots there at all. Clean.

They're asking $9800. for it with FEL, 4 ft box blade and 5 ft pulverizer. 560 hrs. I think it's worth it and we'll try to bring it down a bit and arrange for delivery.

Anybody got any suggestions/comments/warnings/etc??

Thanks- all your comments have been so helpful.
Missy

Missy

So Jim-

Do you think a TC24D with that 3pt ball hitch set-up can manage a 28ft gooseneck?
Missy

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a great deal Missy.

I use the FEL with a ball on it for moving my trailers around. Much better having them in front of you than behind. I'll leave the 28' gooseneck question for Jim or someone with a TC24D.

jbrumberg

Missy & Mark:

I can not help you with the hitch set-up and managing a 28' gooseneck, but I agree with the suggestion about acquiring a rotary cutter for field/pasture management. RC's do not rob you of ground clearance like a midmount mower can and the rear mounted mowers and cutters are a lot easier to get on and off the tractor :cool: . The "challenge" with operating rear PTO driven attachments off your 3PH is the amount of "swing" you need to factor in when turning. There can be some learning curve experiences :eek: with rear PTO driven attachments.

I pulled out some old NH brochures, but according to the literature a TC23DA can handle a 60" side or rear discharge MMM, a 50 or 60" flail mower, and a 48" rotary cutter. I think the "23" pushed out around 17 PTO HP; I am not sure what the "24" does, but jwstwar would know. He is using a 48" RC on his. Depending on your land and the vegetation on it that you intend to cut you might be able to get a slightly larger RC. If I remember correctly jwstwar was cutting some pretty nasty vegetation which would necessitate his selected size RC, but I am sure that there will be discussion here about the correct size and uses as the members here help you spend your money. :cool: Jay :letitsnow:

Last edited:

Missy

Thanks guys-

Because we have some much fence line, and quite a few tree (low hanging limbs - yikes- I think we'll cut in with the z-drive first and then start swinging around with the tractor and the RC.

Any thoughts on brands, types, etc? We've got an AG Supply an hour up the road we may just have to go visit :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:D, we have a ZTR also and that is how we do it. The zero tunrs are so good at getting up close and personal with all yard obstacles.

As a point of reference, I move my 25' boat around with my clamp on ball hitch on my FEL. The boat has a big block 454 engine and weighs 5500 pounds. So I would wager a bet that the tC24D would handle your 28' Goose neck easily when it's empty with either a 3PH or FEL ball hitch.

For even more utility www.paynesforks.com has forks that clamp on the FEL. Or if you are handy with a welder you can make up your own. I know we have at least one thread on here where someone make some very nice forks.

My rotary cutter is an international. Made by a company here in Ohio (not the big International company we've all heard of). I choose between it and a howse. The howse was a little highter duty but the same price so I went with the international

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So Jim-

Do you think a TC24D with that 3pt ball hitch set-up can manage a 28ft gooseneck?
Missy

Ours is a 20' aluminum stock type with a small tack area. I'm not sure what it weighs. It's not here or I would look at the rating plate. Just a guess would be 2500 to 3000 pounds empty.

I use my 35 hp L3400 and it seems to do just fine. Most of our place is level though. The hitch adaptor I use is too wide to fit the BX because the lower arms won't swing out wide enough to fit so I cant say how the 23 hp would work with it.

jwstewar

Staff member
You know guys, it is sometimes scary how much we know about each other and most of have never met.:eek: But at the same time pretty cool that we can develop this friendship w/o ever meeting.:tiphat:

Wow, bunch of responses. I believe the 24D HST is something like 17.8 PTO HP. I've gotten into some pretty nasty stuff with my 4' King Kutter brush hog. When I bought the tractor, dealer said that I could run either one, but if it were really heavy stuff I would be better off with the 4'. He as right, I got into some pretty heavy rough stuff. I've actually been able to bog it a time or 2 with the 4'. Now that I have it thinned out though, I would like to have a 5' to give me more "reach." I mow along a ditch and the 4' doesn't stick out past the back tires so I can't go along beside the ditch. I also end up backing down the ditch. If I had the 5' it would go down the ditch farther. Maybe one of these days I'll find a deal on a sickle bar mower.

As far as moving the 28' gooseneck around, power wise I think it would be OK as I can't believe it weighs more than our 28' foot camper. I would be a little concerned about the tongue weight. Any idea of the tongue weight of the gooseneck is? I think the tongue weight of our trailer is something like 1000 lbs w/o the weight distribution bars hook up. The tractor lifts it fine on the 3ph, but you can feel it compress the back tires. I don't think the FEL would lift it, but I've never tried. I would just be careful if you were on a hill or something as the trailer could shove you down it pretty quick. I have an old Tekonsha Voyager electric brake controller that will know longer apply the brakes automatically that I thought about hooking up. It wouldn't be hard as I've already added a 7 pin RV plug on the back of the tractor to run trailer lights and I run my sprayer off the plug as well.

It sounds like the tractor as the R4 or industrial tires. These are quite as gentle on the lawn as turf and not quite as aggressive as the ag tire. They are known as a compromise tire. That is what I have. I like them real well. I had my first flag this year. I ran a piece of barbed wire through the side of a rear tire. I'm convinced had I had turfs or ags I would have already had to replace my tires. I've pull some pretty nasty stuff out of the treads of my tires. As long as it isn't too wet and you don't take a corner like Dale Earnhardt Jr., you won't do too bad on the lawn -even in 4wd.

Thanks guys-

Because we have some much fence line, and quite a few tree (low hanging limbs - yikes- I think we'll cut in with the z-drive first and then start swinging around with the tractor and the RC.

Any thoughts on brands, types, etc? We've got an AG Supply an hour up the road we may just have to go visit :)

http://www.fencemower.com/

http://www.butlerent.com/

http://www.fencehog.com/

http://www.swisherinc.com/postmaster.asp

http://www.koschco.com/products/weedchopper.html
http://www.fencehog.com/

Missy

Thanks for sites Paul. And Mike's already designing how to rig a ball on the FEL we don't even own yet! So all that info's been great. We've got an appt to go over to tomorrow. Looks like we'll be getting it.

Probably just the next, not last, question: should there be a title for this tractor (like a car?)?

And Jim- Mike says the same thing- he gets a kick out of all the info and replies. So thanks for all the help.

thanks!
Missy

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Missy,
There will be no title, so make sure you get a bill of sale detailing everything you buy, including serial numbers. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for sites Paul. And Mike's already designing how to rig a ball on the FEL we don't even own yet! So all that info's been great. We've got an appt to go over to tomorrow. Looks like we'll be getting it.

Probably just the next, not last, question: should there be a title for this tractor (like a car?)?

And Jim- Mike says the same thing- he gets a kick out of all the info and replies. So thanks for all the help.

thanks!
Missy

When using an FEL to move trailers, be VERY CAREFUL when dealing with slopes...our FD/Rescue unit ran a fatality this last year, when an individual was moving an RVTrailer down a slope the weight of the trailer overcame the forklift, the trailer jack-knifed the forklift and the tipped it over...the forklift operator died when he was crushed between the ROP and the ground...BECAUSE he was NOT wearing his seatbelt...VOSHA investigators concluded that if he had had his seatbelt on, the worst injuries he would have suffered would have been a concussion and a broken arm...

BE SAFE OUT THERE...

Missy

Paul-
Thanks for the tip. Good to be aware of. Fortunately we have the flattest 5 acres known to mankind. But we'll be careful just the same.

I'm still wondering about the tongue wt issue... we have to do some checking. Because we have living quarters up forward and not empty stall areas, it's a bit different than some of the examples given already. We just have to do some calculations with the wt plate data.

Missy

New Member of the family

Well guys, we did it! Thanks in large part to all your input and help, we decided that this tractor would meet the needs of our 5 acre place. :D

And we got it for less than 9K- delivered! Sweet.... So it will arrive here on Wed evening.

And I got to drive it- too fun!:yum:

So here's the first pic...

Attachments

• NH TC24D.jpg
    NH TC24D.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 42