Stop Solenoid Replacement

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If you have ever had your diesel engine just turn over but not crank, it could be the stop solenoid. You can usually hear it click about 10 seconds after you turn the machine off but if it's not up to snuff, it won't be in position net time when you try to crank the RTV. As members Covington and Muleman had stated in my first post on this subject, you can stomp on the pedal and the solenoid will usually release with a click. Then it will crank easily. I'd been fiddling with mine for a couple of months and since I'm selling my RTV, I'm replacing the thing. It is a very easy job and most of you probably have done something like this before. This is for the folks that haven't and just want to save some $ but that don't know where exactly to start. First off , if you are having this kind of problem, try the pedal stomp and listen for the click, if that doesn't work, then try reaching to the solenoid and moving the lever with the red bolt slightly with your finger. If it still doesn't click or start when you turn the key then you may have a different problem.
Here is a picture of the $125+ little jewel. Notice how the small protrusion at the end of the plunger fits into the other piece . Just unplug it and remove the 2 bolts. Then replace it with the new one like the old one came out and just plug it back in. I put some of that dielectric grease (one of member peanuts favorite things) on the electric connections now and they don't corrode. You're done so try it out and see if it works . This is how I did it but its your choice .Good Luck :) . bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3722.JPG
    DSCF3722.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 642
  • DSCF3724.JPG
    DSCF3724.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 634
  • DSCF3726.JPG
    DSCF3726.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 624
  • DSCF3727.JPG
    DSCF3727.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 633

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
Thats where i had the stick fall down and bend things up, when i went to the dealer to look at a new RTV to make sure i didn't loose or bend more than i did the mechanic there said it had to be lined up no side pulling, it looks to be a heavy built piece but i took time to make it operate smooth, and of all things it's built so you can reach down there while the engine is running and grab the part that works in the pump and shut things down real easy, kinda nice. Wished i could of seen these pictures, would of saved me a trip, good pictures.

Last edited:
The slots in the mounting indicate this is adjustable. Any idea what that adjustmemt procedure is? I'm guessing that you adjust so there is no free play. But that's a guess.

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
I can only tell you how i did mine. the in out i give enough so that it has a small ammount of clearance as it lays in that C bracket so not to pull the pump towards off, and since i started with a bent bracket with this solenoid i had a time getting it to pull straight but that is what the dealer cautioned me about not getting that in a bind, easy to figure out once you look at it, when you turn off the key some realy supplys a charge to this solienoid and pullis it's rod in to shut down the engine and the clik you hear is the solienoid letting let go pump back to on, that is some crazy relay wiring there.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Whatscookin has it covered. The slots are for the precise adjustment. I just placed mine in position without any pressure in the c bracket and then tightened . bordercollie

cov62431

Puttin together some really nice how to's bordercollie. Unfortunately I look at this forum while I am at work so my time is really limited. Your how-to's definately cover some things I know I may leave out.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks cov . You and Muleman got me going with the stomping the pedal to release the solenoid. Since I was selling the '05 , I wanted it to be right and just replaced it. bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i think they should put you a speacial sticky thread called "bordercollies how too's and illustrations." your post are very detailed on how to do stuff. i just wanted to mention that and the sticky thing that way it would be right there up front for people to get easy access to .

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ha ha. Peanut, then I would have to post all the times I messed up too. ;) Thank you for the compliment though . bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Ha ha. Peanut, then I would have to post all the times I messed up too. ;) Thank you for the compliment though . bordercollie

no thats what they call editing.lol nobody needs to know you took the tire off 10 times or put it on backwards just as long as you just post the correct way after you figure it out.

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Thanks for this thread, bordercollie. I ordered myself a new stop solenoid because of it. Mine was sporadically not resetting on my 2007. I got one of the fine products from China. Should be here in a couple of weeks and only cost $58.00. What a deal! I am big on saving pennies. I saw this part for as much as $120. I hope the chinese version is acceptable quality.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for this thread, bordercollie. I ordered myself a new stop solenoid because of it. Mine was sporadically not resetting on my 2007. I got one of the fine products from China. Should be here in a couple of weeks and only cost $58.00. What a deal! I am big on saving pennies. I saw this part for as much as $120. I hope the chinese version is acceptable quality.

I am a penny pincher too. Keep us informed on how it works when you get it. I am a firm believer in buying aftermarket if the quality is there. In fact, I am seriously considering getting a radiator cooling fan for this 2011 900. The one I got for the 2005 900 worked better that the oem.It was a Flexilite - and built in America for something like 62 $ back several years ago.!!! The company even put a testimony from me in their catalog and a picture of the RTV as well. :dancing:
Anyway, let us know. :) bordercollie

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
I will report back on the chinese solenoid. It takes about 3 weeks to get something from China though. I ordered some chicken waterer nipples from there a few months ago. The product was okay then so maybe will be this time too. Maybe it'll teach some of those chinese folks about the success of capitalism and competition! : )

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
I received the chinese solenoid today. It took only 11 calendar days from time of my order to time of receipt. Attached is a photo of it. It looks like the original but the glue on the rubber boots on each end is a little sloppy. I hope it works as well as the original.

Attachments

• DSCN4539.jpg
    DSCN4539.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 311

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
wheezer,
That is great. :tiphat:

I can say, many will agree. That the most expensive is not always the best.

Install and lets burn some fuel !!!!! :a1:

Attachments

• Hawk Eye.jpg
    Hawk Eye.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 302