John Deere 955 Is Slow

jakja

Hi all! New to owning a tractor and I bought a nice John Deere 955 with around 480 hours, 1992. The problem I am having is that it is very slow, around 3-5 mph and the manual says top speed should be around 11. All fluids are good, no leaks that I can see. I have it in high gear, placing it in low gear slows it to a snails pace. Maybe linkage problem? I don't know and looking for ideas before I have to pay big $ to a dealer. Thanks All

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
When you say high gear, do I assume correctly you mean 4th gear on the stick?
That tractor has 2 ranges. Sounds like you're in low range.
The picture below isn't exactly your tractor but is the best I could find for what I want to point out.
When sitting in the seat, under your right leg is a HI/LO range selector. It's the round orange knob in this pic. With tractor in neutral, lift that arm up into the HI range position. Put it in 1st gear and it should be about the same speed as what you currently get in 4th gear.
If that doesn't do it, it still sounds like it's stuck in LO range but may be something internal.

url
url
870-1seat.jpg

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
TractorData shows only a hydrostatic transmission for 955. Is there also a M/T version?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
TractorData shows only a hydrostatic transmission for 955. Is there also a M/T version?
The 55 series is the hydro. The 70 series is the M/T. What I pictured was a 70 series as I couldn't find a pic of the 55 series under the seat.

AFAIK, both have high/low range. I'd "think" the range selector for the 55 is under the seat like the 70 series.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, here's a 955.
Need the OP to tell us what that red knob is under your right leg when sitting on the tractor.
BTW, the weld on the range selector lever is weak (it is on my 70 series). My selector arm broke off... twice. If lifting your range selector up doesn't get you in high range, check to see if the weld has broken loose and the arm isn't doing what it should. After mine broke the 2nd time, I just put a pair of vice grips on instead and it's worked fine for the last 17 years.

6032468_1_l.jpg

jakja

Thanks

Great input from everyone! Thanks! Not manual transmission it is hydrostatic drive so yes high gear is the knob to the right down by my feet. I know that I can move the lever to high and I get up to maybe 5mph, but like I say low is slow slow and so is high. I can look and see if the shift is engaging that may be a start. That is why I was wondering about the linkage, see nothing under the seat that will help. Keep the ideas coming!!

jturpin

My 955 does the same thing. Took to dealership and emergency brake is sticking. Even though it is released it is still stuck on. What you can try and works most of the time is jab the brakes like you are going to release it repeatedly like dribbling a basketball. After 10-15 jabs mine releases and back up to full speed. Helps to back up a bit also after releasing.

JT in NC

jakja

Oh No! Now my muffler fell off..great! I think becoming a tractor owner could become frustrating and pricey, but that's ok I am happy with it. The guy that had bought it new kept a log book of everything he had done with it along with every service and all the receipts. I noticed one of the service comments was that it needed to be used more I think it has set a long time. So we'll keep at it until some of the issues are worked out. Oh well still happy! :) Keep the ideas coming!

Kentuk

Hi I had the exact problem today, this is for others who may have the problem.

for me the tractor accelerator pedal wouldn’t go all the way down.
Max speed was 3mph
Normally I you can jiggle the throttle, or press the break and try again.

The Fix:
For me a can of WD40 had lodged on the side of the seat and stopped the seat descending and clicking the button on the side.

jimr63

Hi I had the exact problem today, this is for others who may have the problem.

for me the tractor accelerator pedal wouldn’t go all the way down.
Max speed was 3mph
Normally I you can jiggle the throttle, or press the break and try again.

The Fix:
For me a can of WD40 had lodged on the side of the seat and stopped the seat descending and clicking the button on the side.
Or you can zip tie that safety nanny switch closed so the tractor thinks you are always in the seat. :)