New to RTV QUESTION.

Cwlambert

Hi guys new to this site. Recently acquired a 2007 RTV 900 Diesel with 663hours, cab enclosure and heating, camo edition. Looking for different options on mounting either rocket or toggle switches. Any ideas on this would be great. Eventually putting winch, light bar. Not sure I want to use the space where turn signals etc are open rightnow. Thanks again.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum. For starters regarding options for locating switches, etc., use the search function to locate previous posts on this subject. Lots of good folks here helping each other.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. :)
I made a console and mounted a lighted when on,switch panel with pig tails in various places on the RTV. The panel I used has circuit beakers on each switch. I also mounted my radio to one of the switches and my lights to some of the others. I especially like the pig tail switch near the back of the switch to run my sprayer and electric control on the weed wiper pump. Even though it is a demand pump on the bed sprayer, it is good to be able to turn it off and on and have the light to remind me it is standing by. Following is a link that has the one I made and some others that members made too.http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14341&highlight=homemade+console There are more links by more members too. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. :)
I made a console and mounted a lighted when on,switch panel with pig tails in various places on the RTV. The panel I used has circuit beakers on each switch. I also mounted my radio to one of the switches and my lights to some of the others. I especially like the*** pig tail switch near the back of the switch**** to run my sprayer and electric control on the weed wiper pump. Even though it is a demand pump on the bed sprayer, it is good to be able to turn it off and on and have the light to remind me it is standing by. Following is a link that has the one I made and some others that members made too.http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14341&highlight=homemade+console There are more links by more members too. bordercollie

I meant to say the" pig tail near the back of the seat" :bonk: ..

Cwlambert

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. Also looking to have the the front brush guard either powder coated or bed lined. Does anyone have any feeling one way or another? Thanks.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think Peanut used the bed liner spray on my stick stoppers and it has held up really well- even with 3,000 hrs of pasture riding , the have very little paint wear.

cchaffee

CW,
I have a 2005 900 that i rebuilt, and i used bed liner in a spray bomb to do my brush guard, ALL the plastics (they were faded almost white), and also the metal framing and doors on the cab. That was 2 years ago and it has held up really well. Even thru the brush and woods.

Curt

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Hi guys new to this site. Recently acquired a 2007 RTV 900 Diesel with 663hours, cab enclosure and heating, camo edition. Looking for different options on mounting either rocket or toggle switches. Any ideas on this would be great. Eventually putting winch, light bar. Not sure I want to use the space where turn signals etc are open rightnow. Thanks again.

As soon as I read this post I knew you were looking for collie! She made a sweet switch box that I have seen a picture of somewhere on these posts any ways you came to the right place with your question!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Lots of folks will make sure they run power up to the new panel/box and then run from there to the various accessories.....or ....put in a new fuse panel/box back on the firewall behind the seat next to the original.....The original doesn't have many slots left over so having another for the lights, pumps, radios, ....stuff helps out when it comes to fuses/breakers...........
For me, I truly dislike it to see wires just running hodgepodge and spaghetti like so running them inside some of that split plastic conduit stuff really is great and then zip-tie that to the roll bar tubing on the way to the back or wherever. That's one of the things I truly like about the older RTVs with all the open room and tubing to attach gun racks, radios, lights....stuff........
Make sure you use shrink tubing to join connections and solder them when you can. Lots of vibrations and jolts happen out there and it's good to KNOW that things work when you need them..........Good luck......Dennis

ovrszd

Bordercollie's setup is top notch. Use relays. Expect heavy electrical load. Overdesign not underdesign.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Overszd. I had good folks that were my inspiration and when I make mistakes, I try to learn from it. Sometimes it takes a time or two. collie

Cwlambert

Thanks for all of the feed back everyone. Bordercollie do you have any pics of your set up? Thanks in advance. Also, can you get 1/2 doors for the older 900's? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure that I am getting the right information from people that know.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The only pictures I have are in the link in one of the previous post below. I just had to have a way to control my electrical stuff and came up with that console. Way back in the old days , the available lights from Kubota had a slide switch on the back of each.. That was really a bad place to try and find when in a hurry for more lights.. then I said why not a switch for about everything .. more is better as they say.. haha. Like Dennis, I run my wires in that split plastic and use cable ties . I don't even know that the wires are there.
I also wanted a place for my binoculars and that is the reason for the cubby hole.. it needs a "bouncer outer" protector though. Until I get around to it, I use one of those flexible license plates bent into a U. Works great as I hit ravines and those giant southern ant mounds too often. collie

edit I don't know about the doors but I think a member has a post of some homemade ones a couple of years ago .. I think it could be done pretty easily if a person had the time.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Cw;
As you consider lighting option, you might want to look at LED's. These lights continue to improve and are a huge improvement over incandescent-types. Several advantages include long life, lower electrical requirements, severe service use and a white light available in either flood or spot beam. Quite a few folks here use the LED's (myself included) and I don't think I've read anything negative about them. These lights are now available at the big box stores, Wally World, amazon and any number of internet sources. I still have the OEM lights on top of my 1100 cab which I will eventually convert to high lumen LED's.

I just had a idea... these do come on rare occasions..... Is it possible to make your average run of the mill LED light into a strobe light? Mark may have some ideas here. What circuitry would be required if this is possible?

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 111

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Keifer on the LEDs. I took off my old Kubota regular type and used the rear light original. When I had the engine off and needed the lights, the leds didn't dim but when I turned on the old rear light, it dimmed the complete set . The Leds draw much less power and I'll never go back. I ordered all of mine off of a mazon. collie

Cwlambert

Cw;
As you consider lighting option, you might want to look at LED's. These lights continue to improve and are a huge improvement over incandescent-types. Several advantages include long life, lower electrical requirements, severe service use and a white light available in either flood or spot beam. Quite a few folks here use the LED's (myself included) and I don't think I've read anything negative about them. These lights are now available at the big box stores, Wally World, amazon and any number of internet sources. I still have the OEM lights on top of my 1100 cab which I will eventually convert to high lumen LED's.

I just had a idea... these do come on rare occasions..... Is it possible to make your average run of the mill LED light into a strobe light? Mark may have some ideas here. What circuitry would be required if this is possible?
I was thinking LED light bar mounted on the inside of my brushguard. Thanks for the info. Im sure as i start getting more into this that I will have plenty of more questions.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Cw;
Several things to keep in mind when mounting a light bar on your brush guard. 1) make sure it doesn't interfere with opening the front hood. 2) don't mount your light bar too low in the event you install a snow blade. When you raise the blade it might block your lights.

Also on a related topic: If mounting lights or other stuff on the roof of your cab, keep in mind your clearance height. Your garage, barn or shed doors might be too low and knock your new gizmos right off.

Isn't experience a great teacher if you can survive it all!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Also on a related topic: If mounting lights or other stuff on the roof of your cab, keep in mind your clearance height. Your garage, barn or shed doors might be too low and knock your new gizmos right off.

Isn't experience a great teacher if you can survive it all!

Like this? :whistling:

Attachments

• IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 102

shinnery

JIM OUCH, I'll bet that cost a couple of pennies to get that roof straightened out to accept a new rear glass. Not to mention repair to the bike!