RTV900 slips out of M

dtreid

New to me Kubota RTV900
If I hold the gearshift lever it will run in M gear, but as soon as I remove the pressure it slips into neutral.

Any suggestions? Hopefully ones that don't involve removing the tranny.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
probably just needs adjusted. could be a bent shift fork a common problem. both easy to fix without removing the transmission.

dtreid

The gear shift isn’t bottoming out when put in M. Does this still sound like a bent shift fork?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would disconnect the shift mechanism and manually shift it into M. then i would start it and drive it to see if it stays in gear. if it slips out then i would look into the shift fork. if it stays then i would adjust the linkage.

dtreid

I just can’t get the H-M shift for to slide back far enough....bent shift fork maybe?
How do I bend it back without pulling the tranny?

Attachments

• 5F6A18B6-D89C-4F42-9656-191D6D8C1FDC.jpeg
    5F6A18B6-D89C-4F42-9656-191D6D8C1FDC.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 51

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i doubt you can bend it back most break but you can try. also could be the detent . the forks pull stright out from the top alonf with the shift assy. i think

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Did you take a look at the video and the guy popping it back in place? I never had to do that procedure but liked the video. Good luck. collie

dtreid

It just seems like it's binding so that it can't slide back the last 1/4". I've used my borescope and can't see it hitting on anything....not sure what the deal is.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just go ahead and pull the shift fork assy and you will be able to identify if the problem is in the gears or the shift assy. you are only a few bolts away anyway.

dtreid

I don’t want to remove the tranny if possible. I can’t remove the shift fork unless I do. Correct?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I don’t want to remove the tranny if possible. I can’t remove the shift fork unless I do. Correct?

wait a minute let me look

the shift forks slide on those polished rods. can you slide the rods to the front or rear of the transmission and lift out the fork?

Last edited by a moderator:

dtreid

There are spring and ball detents for the rods so the tranny needs to be opened up to remove them

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the fork is held on to the rod with a roll pin or pin. can you remove the pin and slide the shaft to the rear while keeping the detent balls captive enough to lift out the fork?

Col.64

Kubota rtv900

Kubota rtv900 just done new head gasket and torque nut to 31ftb. Dose any one no the torque settings for the rocker.