RTV 900 cranks but won't start

kas1263

The title says it all. It was working good when suddenly without warning it stops. It cranks hard but just won't start. Checked the fuel and it's almost full. Any suggestions?

aarkie

Sounds like no fuel. Check the fuel pump, I've had to replace mine. You could remove the hose after the pump and see if its pumping while you crank it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The stop solenoid is the wording I meant to say . When its running and you turn off the key, you should hear a "tink" noise a few seconds after the key is turned off as it does its thing. That's when its working right.

quid_non

Assuming the starter solenoid is good - do you have this issue when the fuel tank is 1/2 full or lower and it has sat for a while? If so - see thread RTV 900 fuel pump replacement where installing an electric booster fuel pump solved a related problem. I left the existing pump in place and just connected the line form the elec pump to the mechanical unit

kas1263

I use it almost ever day. I have a stop switch and fuel pump ordered for pick up on Monday. I plan to replace the switch first, then the fuel pump if that doesn't work.

aarkie

I also had a stop solenoid burn up on a tractor a few weeks ago. I used a piece of sting to tie it open to get it back to the house to get the part to fix it. A OEM listed for $280 and I found one online for about 30 so it pays to shop around, just had to wait a few days to get it. I have also had the fuel line stop up, I had to blow it out to drain and clean the tank. If the fuel filter has not been changed in a while it could also be stopped up. It can take several checks to pin point the problem.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's a good thought Arkie. I have read about the fuel tank getting clogged . We had a track hoe get a pebble in the fuel tank and would sporadically block the fuel line. Finally found that culprit.

kas1263

I got it fixed! I replaced the fuel pump and the stop switch and it runs like it's brand new. Thank you everyone for your help.