New Kubota next year that runs 50mph ?

Fordman

Site Supporter
Hello guys I was at my dealer today getting my unit serviced and he said he had heard next year they will be coming out with a gas burner that will run 50 mph !!!!! Have any of yall heard this ?????

William

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First I heard of it. I wonder if it would be more along the line of the Polaris Razor than a souped up RTV? I sure cannot imagine the current platform going 50mph. :eek:

seery

Yes, it's true.

Kubota will be debuting the new RTV at their National Dealer Meeting in October.

The test units are 45 mph top speed, but that's not to say the production units won't be bumped up to 50 mph.

symphony

This is welcome news if it's indeed happening!

I too would prefer a diesel but with all the complex and potentially unreliable components required for higher HP modern diesels to meet emissions requirements, I understand why they likely chose a gasser.

Add selectable locking front and rear diffs and I’ll be first in line for a cab version.

ovrszd

I don't remember the specifics, but diesel engines under a certain HP rating are exempt from the emissions requirements. Maybe someone can quote that number?

symphony

I don't remember the specifics, but diesel engines under a certain HP rating are exempt from the emissions requirements. Maybe someone can quote that number?

I believe the Tier 4 exemption limit is 25HP. That's likely the reason the 1100cc RTVs are pegged at 24.8HP. Anything more requires complex and expensive after-treatment systems such as DPF, DOC, SCR, DEF.

I think Kubota will keep the diesels in the RTV line but you just won't get higher HP versions unless you choose a gasser.

ovrszd

I believe the Tier 4 exemption limit is 25HP. That's likely the reason the 1100cc RTVs are pegged at 24.8HP. Anything more requires complex and expensive after-treatment systems such as DPF, DOC, SCR, DEF.

I think Kubota will keep the diesels in the RTV line but you just won't get higher HP versions unless you choose a gasser.

Yep, probably right!!!

ovrszd

Using the current drive system, which requires a lot of HP, I don't believe the current diesel engine would maintain 50mph on any uphill grade.

I don't see Kubota changing the drive system. So they would have to increase the engine HP and/or the engine RPM range.

With all that said a gasser sounds like the logical solution.

For my uses I'll stick with slower speed to retain the diesel engine.

Kanook

I seldom use low range and only high range on occasion. I can see where depending on the RTVs usage and application more speed can be desirable (or hp). The way that the tier 4 requirements is implemented in the small displacement diesels (like with the B3350 tractor) wouldn't work very satisfactorily in a RTV. I can see where if they want to increase the hp in an RTV, a gasoline solution would be the way to go.

OrangeBuggy

I was at dealer a few weeks back and was told there were some real changes coming, no details though we should be hearing rumors soon...lol. I had traded my ZTR ZG327 in on a ZTR ZD1511 and were talking about the engine in the 1511 when the RTV subject came up. So I'm was kind of thinking maybe the ZTR motor may wind up in the RTV. This is just what I was thinking, I don't know anything about what is going to happen, just my thoughts.

Fitch

I'd have exactly zero interest in one of those. With my nephew's kids living next door, the 2004 we have now goes plenty fast enough. But then I don't have much use for the fancy aluminum wheels and cabs either. Ours gets used every day, at least twice a day at chore time with an open cab and a roof onto to keep the rain off, sort of. It spends it's life covered in mud hauling a dump bed full of horse manure every morning, feed and hay at other times.

We look at it as a rugged tool. I like the fact that it has a three speed transmission. We use the M speed a lot crawling around in the mud in the barnyard in the spring. L is too slow, H doesn't have the 'stuff' to move it handily in the mud.

Maybe if I used it to plow, I'd want a cab, but the skid steer is a whole lot better at snow removal.

50 mph? I have a Diesel pickup truck for that.

Fitch

symphony

In my humble opinion, Kubota is already under immense pressure in the work UTV segment and will be forced to up their game or risk losing significant market share. Ten years ago, the only real work UTV offering was Kubota. Now we have the likes of Honda, JD, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris, CanAm, Mahindra and many others nipping at Kubota’s heels. They cannot afford to rest on their laurels and must continue to innovate or risk becoming obsolete. The competition will continue to get better in terms of features, capabilities and reliability. So to have a RTV capable of going 50mph would not likely detract in one’s decision to purchase if the need doesn’t exist but not having the ability would more likely detract from those that need the extra speed.

One of the interesting developments to keep an eye out on is the enormous strides that have been made in batter powered vehicles. I never thought I’d live to see the day where I would consider buying an electric car, but with the performance and range of vehicles like the new Tesla Model 3, I now may consider one in the future for my urban transportation needs. Plenty of range and relatively quick charging make it ideal for a commuter vehicle. Will still need my 2500 for the heavy stuff, but most of the time, I should do fine with the electric buggy! We now have some manufacturers looking at the technology for UTV and tractor markets.:eek:

ovrszd

I agree the RTV system is antique. Very high HP demand to perform. Tough as a boot. Very crude in today's standards. No way the existing powertrain is going to push an RTV down the road at 50 mph satisfactorily.

Only way I can go electric is if it comes with a CD player that emits engine sounds in sync with my movements. :)

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Just remember the Ford 9n. My 1941 model is simple and "tough as a boot" as well. It starts every time, pulls hard and truly does everything we ask of it. And if there is a EMP, it will be the only thing around that will start and run.

I don't think proven platforms ever become irrelevant but they certain can fall out of favor.

After 76 years, our old Ford is also crude by today's standards but has stood the test of time. I believe the RTVX platform has a long life ahead of it for a targeted group of consumers.

Just my two cents.