Power Steering Whine?

Meyerske

I'm new to RTVs. My power steering has a slight whine to it when turning the wheel. You can only hear it at very low speed. Is this normal?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine whines a little when it's cold. Once the power steering pump warms up, it goes away. I'd vote for it being normal.

Meyerske

This is one step above silent. Lol. In other words, you can tell when I'm turning it.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

shinnery

At 77.6 I am probably 3/4 deef, not sure I would hear my 900 if it squalled. I can hear the engine running. LOL

zenchal26

Mine wines a little also but I just bought it used with 1000 hrs on it. I didn’t notice a wine on the new one I test drive or my old 900.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My power steering whines slightly when I turn hard but it's done that as long as I can remember. If I turn it to the stop position and hold it there it will keep whinning so I try not to do that for long.
Is the fluid clean looking? Best I can remember, without looking it up, is that it uses UDT / sudt2 but would check your manual to make sure. bordercollie

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
The only steering sound I have on my X1120 is a psst psst when you turn the wheel and its the hydraulic actuator sound that is normal. If you have something other than that, you may want to compare it with another new unit at your dealer. If it is a different sound then, you will have a basis for your concern. My two centavos.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
...... Not telling anyone to do this.
But talked to many folks who has used ( added to fluid ) Sea Foam Trans Tune in there
power steering pumps.
Have NOT put in my RTV. But if it starts whining and not pumping correctly. This is the VERY first thing I'm going to try.
Sea Foam, I use all of their products and very pleased.

Two Guns

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
pretty sure the power steering uses the transmission pressure and fluid. no separate reservoir or pump.

Maine

The power steering uses a separate pump and fluid from the HST transmission.

From the RTV-X900, RTV-X1120 Workshop Manual, page 6-M3:
An oil tank dedicated for power steering is located below the operator's seat. That wording is incorrect for units with the hydraulic lift cylinder as the same pump and fluid is used for the hydraulic lift cylinder as for the power steering.

The hydraulic pump for the steering and the bed hydraulic lift cylinder is a constant displacement gear pump. It is illustrated on page 7-S8 of the Workshop Manual. The X900 pump is rated at 2.4 gallons/minute at 3200 rpm and no load, and the X1120 pump is rated at 2.96 gallons/minute at 3000 rpm and no load. I don't know why there is a difference.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My 2005 and 2011 RTV 900s had/have a reservoir for the power steering under the seat and one for the lift in the rear just below the tailgate. That oily spot on the tank is just Fluid film over spray. ;) bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0021.jpg
    KIMG0021.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 33
  • KIMG0022.jpg
    KIMG0022.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 33