Fuel Pump Scam By the Dealers

KingBubba

Searching about a new fuel pump for my Mahindra 25hp was a real eye opener for sure. The Mahindra parts depot wanted $143 for the pump. Another tractor parts supplier wanted $248 for the pump. Yet another depot for forklifts and the like wanted $558 for the pump.

At this point I smell a great big rat. I do a search on Ebay and after a good search, I found the same pump from California for $13.29 and another from New York for $13.59. I took a chance and bought one from each dealer. There were also about 100 Chinese dealers with the same part for less than $20.

Today I removed the old pump and installed the new one. The wiring plug was even the same configuration. After a painless install I fired up the tractor and it was perfect. The pump was even quieter than the original. This just goes to show what a little research can do. Don't let the bastards drag you down.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:wow: Damn that is eye opening. Hate to hear it but if they are going to play those games we will do our part in getting the word out. Thanks KingB!!!!!!!!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wow that's really excessive.

I had a similar experience looking for a new Thermostart module. (Equivalent of glow plugs, but it burns fuel to heat air in the intake manifold). It was some rediculous price from Yanmar and Deere and $65 for a NAPA-quality generic from a parts house that specifically supports Yanmars.

With a little research, mostly cross-references on Ebay, I found this was a Perkins Diesel patent and was widely used on Massey Ferguson and other Perkins-powered equipment, then also for Yanmar and the Yanmar-powered Deeres.

With that knowledge I found the genuine Perkins version locally for $15 at a firm that supports the reefer units on semitrailers. When I needed another for a different tractor, that dealer had closed and the cheapest Ebay price was around $15 delivered, from a Pakistani owned delicatessen in London. Tractor Supply now stocks them as a Massey Ferguson part for under $25.

It pays to shop around. The cross reference charts that Ebay sellers post are a tremendous resource.

attachment.php

KingBubba

How would you know that that part was bad in the first place?

Used the tractor to cut the front field. The tractor operated as it should. I don't think there will be any issues with these pumps. Even if they don't last as long as the other pump, they are a breeze to replace.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
How would you know that that part was bad in the first place?
The themostart module? Its made about the same as an automotive cigarette lighter. You can feel the manifold go from chilled to warm where it screws in. And/or take off the air cleaner to see the flame that starts if you run it 10+ seconds.

When its working properly the tractor thinks its a nice warm day and starts easily.

But these modules only last a few years so replacement is a common maintenance item.

Here's a description including a photo I provided.

http://www.hoyetractor.com/thermostart.htm