Antifreeze

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Personally, I like/use Prestone. In my streetrods I use Prestone Dexcool as I have some aluminum parts in them. Personally, for my 900, I buy the 5x stuff they produce.

It's apparently formulated to extend the life of the antifreeze and should give excellent corrosion protection.

I know you can buy a lot of brands cheaper but I've had good luck with Prestone and I'm not about to change for probably $10 or so. Replacement parts are a lot more expensive than antifreeze.

Check on the instructions, you may not even need to use distilled water with them but I do as again it's pretty cheap insurance.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I use the john Deere coolant in mine since we have it on the farm already. I have used Prestone in the past though. I feel it is important to always, always use Distilled water as a mixer. collie

ItBmine

I'm not pushing a brand, they all make global organic acid technology coolants now, but I went with a global OAT like this because it mixes with all coolants (green or extended life) and you do not need to flush. As long as there is 70% saturation, it works same as if it is 100%.
This way I only have to stock one coolant at home instead of different types.

https://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/final-charge/about/

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I have used Peak Global for several years without any problems even when mixed with other brands. back when i had an aluminum block Land Rover i did some pretty extensive reading and found the common thread with the new OAT formulas is to change them when the service schedule indicates, because they become acidic over time. this was several years ago so things may have changed.

Lee1935

almost impossible to get all the antifreeze out of a system. Some brands do not mix very good.
Why not put back what was in it?

ItBmine

Putting the same stuff back in is a good idea, but when you have multiple auto's, big trucks and equipment it sure is nice to have one coolant type that works in everything. And no fear that someone will dump the wrong stuff in.

Then you get scenarios where coolant like the Ford Motorcraft Gold was the cause of most of the 6.0L head gasket and EGR cooler failures.

ItBmine

True. It has to be a coolant that is diesel rated, and that is why you go with one of these new Global Organic Acid Technology coolants, such as the Peak Final Charge (or equivalent of your favorite brand) because they CAN mix with all colours and are diesel rated.

I follow all the new coolants and oils as I attend lots of trucking and heavy equipment trade shows, so I get to see a lot of new products. And talk to the reps.