hydraulic oil leak

poke

ick.
My x900 started piddling in the garage.
Took the belly pans off, all full of oily crud on top.
Leak looks like coming from hydraulic tank which is under the passenger seat, forward of fuel tank.
Has four hoses coming to it, with regular hose clamps.
MESSY.
As for reaching up there, only contortionists need apply.
THe way to get to it is from the top; remove passenger seat (2 pins), snack tray, oil cooler cover panel .
Unbolt fuse box tray and Unclip wiring harness clamp... flip inboard.
Rearmost port on the tank is capped with a RUBBER CAP.
The cap is badly cracked.
It is made from the WRONG KIND OF RUBBER methinks.
I put a condom of sorts inside it, a finger of nitrile glove. Now looking for a better fix.
I'll try to post a pic or two

poke

looks like 1/2 inch cap. darn it I forgot to measure.

Attachments

• ca.jpg
    ca.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 57
  • cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 57
  • cbc.jpg
    cbc.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 57

Lee1935

I've (heard) that Kubota is aware of the problem and is putting in new tanks, a phone call to your nearest dealer could confirm this I think☺

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Poke, I had something similar happen to my 2011xtr. It was a little 90 degree hose and the clamp screw was facing the hyd coolant radiator where it was attached. I improvised with a brass 90 degree pex fitting though to make a 90 out of new straight hoses there. Will try to find a picture I took of it at that time. As you said.. for contortionists only. I was fit to be tied trying to remove or even loosen that hose clamp-finally got it a bit at a time with "open ended" end wrench. . They could have only tightened that hose clamp before installing permanently. I did this " pex fitting fix" late last summer and have yet to replace it ...but do keep an eye out for trouble there. bordercollie

I found these pictures of before the fix

Attachments

• KIMG0001.jpg
    KIMG0001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 55
  • KIMG0002.jpg
    KIMG0002.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

poke

I've (heard) that Kubota is aware of the problem and is putting in new tanks, a phone call to your nearest dealer could confirm this I think☺

Sorry, no...
THere is a RECALL about the Fuel tank.
THis is a silly rubber cap on the hydraulics tank. The tank itself seems fine.

tfdr1

Just had same problem with my 2014 x900. Kubota's fix is to use a piece of hose with a plug on the end. I just used a piece of heater hose I had kicking around and put a bolt in it.

Attachments

• 1518738284474.jpg
    1518738284474.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 38