Options for buying new Kubota wheels and tires

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was priced 1700 for new wheels and AG tires for my Grand L 3010 Kubota tractor.

I have been running industrial tires which were easier on the lawn than Ag's would be, but I no longer mow with the tractor and I'm sick of getting stuck so easily with the industrial tires. They pick up mud and turn into slicks way to quickly. I end up stuck or not being able to get to parts of my property that I want to work on.

I have procrastinated long enough. Time to buy a set of AG tires for my girl (aka tractor). Are there other options for buying wheels that will fit my Kubota? I'm sure I could buy the tires elsewhere, but I'd prefer to get tires and wheels at same place and sure would like to get them for a few hundred less than $1700. Any ideas?

Other issue is I would have to have them mounted and filled and I cannot transport my tractor. I pay to have a dealer come and get it. I suppose any tractor dealer might offer that service so I suppose I will call other tractor dealers in the area and see if they can get the wheels and save me any dollars on the set of wheels and tires.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I get my tractor tires from ME Miller.
http://www.millertire.com/

I go with them since the tires on my tractor have limited runs and are hard to find sometimes.

I think they also sell some wheels but not sure if they'll have your size.

When you went to the dealer to price the tires, did you go to the parts or sales department. When I was getting tires/wheels for my RTV, the sales department could get them as "whole goods" and the price was cheaper than the parts department.

I bought tires from a different place than the wheels. Do you have an AG or industrial tire company around you? For me, they were the cheapest & easiest way to get tires mounted and filled. They come to your place, put the tires on the rims, pull the old tires/rims, mount the new and fill them. Since it wasn't a rush job for me, I just said to come around at your convenience when you're in the area. I don't remember the cost but recall that they didn't charge me much.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do not know of any tractor tire dealer around here. I will call my regular tire dealer who also sells some tractor tires. If he does not sell my size he might have a recommendation of who does. Thanks Brian.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I called. Found a farm type dealer that will bring the tires out to my place and change them, but he has no clue what wheels to get.
So I called my primary Kubota dealer and got a price of 901.24 for all 4 tires. He commented that the front tires were more than the rear. Seems crazy.
But he said my best option is to buy the wheels an tires together for 1699. They will come out and install them for 79 dollars an hour. So, that is probably the way I will go.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are the $1699 tire/wheel package coming with the tires on the wheels already? If so, the process of installing should go quickly.

Are your current tires filled? If so, with what and do you plan on reusing it in the new set? If you have calcium, I'd scrap that and go with RimGuard (or some other brand of beet juice). Either way, check with the company that's doing the install to see if they have a drum on the truck for holding the old fluid to either haul away or to pump back into your new tires. If not, you'll want to have a clean 55-gallon drum at the ready.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I asked to ensure they could fill my new tires on site. Had not mentioned that I'd want the current ones unfilled. I am thinking it is beet juice in them but not positive. The dealership sold to someone else and they don't have the records, nor do it.

Does beet juice take special handling?

And Yes, the $1699 price is for the tire and rim package for both front and rear sets.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beet juice requires no special handling as it's not toxic. If it's calcium in your current tires, that's toxic and I'd suggest you have them take it back with them. I wouldn't expect them to charge you anything for removal as they would probably re-use it. They can drain a little out and tell visibly which it is. Beet juice is reddish, calcium will be a milky color.

If it is beet juice, I'd take it out and put it in the new tires (but never in the front ones). Then have them top off the new tires if/as needed.

I'm assuming you're keeping the old tires and rims as spares. Murphy's law says that if you do get a flat on your new tires, it'll happen at an inconvenient place and time. If you leave liquid in your old rear tires, you won't be able to move them due to weight. Imagine trying to change a 500# tire in the field. Without the fluid, they're maybe 100# making them much easier to handle.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure it's not calcium, but suspect beet juice or auto window washer fluid. I vaugley recall that some used that in place of beet juice.

Old beet juice does not go bad with age?

I had all four of my tires loaded. Front and rear. Why do you suggest not the front tires?

I figure I'm stuck with this separate set of R4's. The R4's are such a different height and size that I doubt they'd be of much use as a spare ..at least not the rear ones. front ones might work in an emergency. Couldn't the different size spare on front or rear damage my 4wd gears? Would not want to damage that, as it would be an expensive repair.

I most definitely did plan to remove the liquid from all the R4's but I had not planned to reuse the juice.

Thanks Brian.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If it's washer fluid, it should be blue. It can be reused. So can beet juice.

You shouldn't fill your front tires with liquids. When under pressure like when you're using your loader, the fluid won't compress like air will. If the tires can't compress when/as needed, it's easy to blow out the bead.

If you need your old tire as a spare, it should be for short term (like to get your tractor home). Unless needed, avoid 4WD. Why are the tire sizes between the R4 and R1 so much different? If they are significantly different, you may have an issue. Too early to do the math but the aspect ratio between the front and rear tires need to match so when you use 4WD, your front and rear tires are spinning at the same speed. If they're not, you'll be stressing the 4WD components and/or wearing out your front tires more quickly. I pulled up your tractor on tractordata.com. What size tires did you buy for the front?
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/4/1249-kubota-l3010-dimensions.html

I pulled up my tractor on the same site and there's size differences between turf and R1 tires to keep the ratio correct.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The size I'm ordering is the same as shown on tractor data:
front tire size: 7.2-16
rear tire size: 12.4 -24

Funny you mention that about why not to load the front tires. I would have thought my tractor dealer would have advised me not to load them when I asked him to. Instead he just loaded them up. And, just like you said, I blew the bead on one of them when doing loader work 10 years ago. At the time I thought tire pressure must have been low and I had not checked it. Now ....I believe you explained it well. Thanks again!!!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When you get your new tires, can you humor me and stand them up next to your existing R4 tires? I'm wondering if the height is the same between the R1 and R4 tires or if the R1's will be a little taller.

Yea, some dealers will give you what you ask for regardless if it's proper. They're just looking at $ signs.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll also take before and after pics of tractor (man, guess I'll have to wash the ole girl, LOL). The 3010 I saw on the dealers lot when I was buying this one looked so different with R1's. If my memory is correct they were narrower and taller ..... or they looked taller because they were narrower. We will know in a few weeks. I have not placed the order yet but plan to once the funds are inplace.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I ordered the R1 tires. Dealer picked up the tractor and has put the wheels and tires on my girl. I stopped up there yesterday and took a gander. She looks good with her new shoes (tires). I did not take pics, wish I had.
I did take before pics. Once I get her back home early next week I'll take some pics to show before and after. Anxious to try her out on my trouble areas.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got her back on Friday with new R1 / AG tires and a new Landpride 58" tiller. One happy guy here.

Before and after pics.

Attachments

• KubotaOldTractorTires2.jpg
    KubotaOldTractorTires2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 135
  • KubotaOldTractorTires1.jpg
    KubotaOldTractorTires1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 138
  • KubotaNewTractorTires1.jpg
    KubotaNewTractorTires1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 139
  • KubotaNewTractorTires2.jpg
    KubotaNewTractorTires2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 138

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
plus they sold my R4 tires for me. $600. I had em for 16 years. Seemed like a fair price to me. Better than storing them at my place for sure.