RTV-x1120 Steering

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I noticed that the steering wheel on our 1120 had the "K" emblem on the steering wheel aligned straight up and down, sort of like your car or truck. The next time I noticed the steering wheel position, the K was like at 4 o'clock and so on. Each time I started and drive the RTV, the steering wheel is in a different position. Anyone know why that might be?

Also, on the blacktop, the RTV easily accelerated up to 25 but according to the manual, you shouldn't run it flat out until after 500 hour service. There is still enough pedal there to easily get to 30 or more.

Anyway, at 25mph, that is about as fast as I would feel comfortable running. The steering feels different to me. Not wrong or bad, just different. Sort of imprecise if you follow me. Is this normal on blacktop?

Feels great on trails, field and township gravel road.

Thanks

ovrszd

RTVs use hydraulic steering as most tractors do. There is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front tires. The steering wheel activates a hydraulic orbiter which directs high pressure hydraulic fluid to the steering cylinder. It's extremely effective in heavy load situations such as slow moving turns or stopped turns
But it is ineffective at high speed conditions. Creates that loose wandering feeling. Also there is nothing to make the steering wheel return to the same position all the time
All of this behavior is normal and you will get used to it.

As to maximum speed, that is controlled by governed engine rpms. Even though you might have mechanical foot pedal movement left, when the governor stops engine speed gain, you stop gaining movement speed. Most are in the 25mph area