Battery tender

CKing

I'm going with BatteryMINDER 1510A got a 10 warranty from USA Company. Got best reviews on Amazon and the least amount of bad reviews. Comes with a pigtail to install in the car and set of clamps. 12ft cable. Also claims if you fully charge the batteries it will maintain 4 at once, and does Automatic full time desulfator. $50. AGM, deep cycle, wet flood, Optima, ...

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I'm going with BatteryMINDER 1510A got a 10 warranty from USA Company. Got best reviews on Amazon and the least amount of bad reviews. Comes with a pigtail to install in the car and set of clamps. 12ft cable. Also claims if you fully charge the batteries it will maintain 4 at once, and does Automatic full time desulfator. $50. AGM, deep cycle, wet flood, Optima, ...

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Link doesn’t work. Takes you to a picture of a black lab laying down. What’s it called? Sounds like something I need on my welder to keep the battery up

Brett

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
rustyshackleford, Just wanted to mention what happened to my bil. He bought a new gas welder..( Miller ) and when the battery went down, boosted it off. The boosting off fried the circuit board and cost a $1000.00 to replace. It is also a good idea to put in a battery disconnect switch in . It is good to use when the welder is in storage. We also have them on the old JD 4020 tractors now . bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had a battery tender brand battery tender ever since the original battery on my ATV died and I replaced it. That one didn't last 4 months. I paid more for an original replacement and that one was fading and I discovered battery tenders. that was 15+ years ago. Since then I have added battery tenders for the ATV, RTV, ZTR and Tractor. I'm a believer. :D

rustyshackleford, Just wanted to mention what happened to my bil. He bought a new gas welder..( Miller ) and when the battery went down, boosted it off. The boosting off fried the circuit board and cost a $1000.00 to replace. It is also a good idea to put in a battery disconnect switch in . It is good to use when the welder is in storage. We also have them on the old JD 4020 tractors now . bordercollie

That’s a great point. The manual said something to the same effect. We have a miller bobcat 250efi and use it more as a backup generator than welder as I’d prefer to wire weld if given the choice. It’s sat for several months and I went to start it, it was to weak to start. Put it on a better charger to get it going to charge the battery but I’m hoping a maintainer will keep it up in the event of a power outage

Brett

CKing

Thought I'd post here, was on my car forum GT350 and a long thread on battery tenders. Lots of discussion on how they fail in few years, this unit has more features and 10 year warranty, you have too keep the receipt for proof, pay return shipping. I like the fact that I can charge my small batteries, generator, power washer, mowers then hook them 4 up in parallel and let it desulfate them over the winter, plus it comes with pigtail I can wire in on Shelby, and the twin AGM's on my F350 diesel, and deep cycle on tractor. Trying to 8 batteries up is a pain.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I may have to get one of these. Thanks. Batteries are so expensive now a days and the core charge is around $28.00.So if a little extra care meant a longer life it is worth having for sure. Last time I went to the scrap iron place, some old batteries I took, brought a lot.. .Meaning I got out with $62 for about 4 batteries and $22 for cans. Won't be collecting cans anymore- that was many years worth and they took up too much room even crushed. collie

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thought I'd post here, was on my car forum GT350 and a long thread on battery tenders. Lots of discussion on how they fail in few years, this unit has more features and 10 year warranty, you have too keep the receipt for proof, pay return shipping. I like the fact that I can charge my small batteries, generator, power washer, mowers then hook them 4 up in parallel and let it desulfate them over the winter, plus it comes with pigtail I can wire in on Shelby, and the twin AGM's on my F350 diesel, and deep cycle on tractor. Trying to 8 batteries up is a pain.

Several of my battery minders are over 10 years old. No failures so far.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good point. I used to have a generator I rarely used. Forgot about the battery and when I needed it battery was dead. I've since passed that generator on to my son, along with a battery tender.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do y'all have any of these new jump starters? There's several but we mainly have this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D42U0VO

I have a larger one (Micro-Start XP-10) in my truck that will start up to an 8-liter diesel.

These battery packs are about the size of a paperback book yet can jump start an engine up to 6.5L 30 times before they need recharged. Also handy to charge cell phones or laptops while traveling.

We keep one in each vehicle and I have a spare for around the shop for the RTV, ATV, ZTR, generators or whatever else needs a jump.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Battery Tender or Battery Mind - both good products, can't go wrong with either.

Like CKing, I have used a Schumacher electronic charger. It has saved several batteries through its desulfation mode but has recently developed a noise in the cooling fan. Customer Support said blowout the fan with a compressor and that should stop it. Said it is just dust. HMMM...we'll see.

Lee1935

Several of my battery minders are over 10 years old. No failures so far.

I'm 82, have 9 batteries hooked up to tenders for the winter, have never had a battery tender go bad in my lifetime. (have lost more than a few)

Whenever I need one I buy the cheapest I can find

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a couple tenders. I don’t know how old they are but I have never had one fail.

I put one my boat and one on my ATV every winter. I also have a trickle charger that looks just like one of the minders. Yep put it on the ATV and left for the winter. Battery was toast when I came back in the spring. :hide:

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Made the same mistake with a mower...with the dumb trickle chargers, they literally charge the battery constantly. Not only do the tender and minder turn charging on and off as needed, they sense sulfation in the battery and enter a routine to clean the scaling off. Hence the term "conditions" I don't know what it actually does but it works.

Sometimes on eBay, you can find 2 packs or four packs and save a little moola. But they are usually 20-25 dollars when purchased alone.

I'd love to buy a pallet of them and hand them out to our members. Oh right, I am poor.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm 82, have 9 batteries hooked up to tenders for the winter, have never had a battery tender go bad in my lifetime. (have lost more than a few)

Whenever I need one I buy the cheapest I can find

You are ahead of me! I’m 70 and only have 5 tenders in service. Guess I need to gets some more tractors :mrgreen:

CKing

Everybody on another forum seems excite about CTEK battery tenders, but only a 5year warranty, same technology, and this group has seen some good service, also less cost that CTEK 3300. So if I'm happy with mine looks like I'll buy a couple more. I've got deep cycle that has never seen any use and mediocre care that won't show full charge, we'll if it can bring it back.