Need YM 187D LOWER DASH PANEL

dickmellon

Hi All
I have a YM187D and really like it. Its just the right size for most things I do but no FEL but I have an old Case 580CK loader / backhoe for loader work.
I like this forum discussion and look forward to NEW messages.
My 187 is missing the lower dash panel and I`d like to find one. Also does anyone know how many splines the steering wheel has or have a replacement?

I have these 3 pt. attachments:
Yanmar 40" tiller (needs tines, 24)
Backblade with snow wings 7`(TOO BIG for snow on my hill drive)
Woods 48" mower
consolidated 72" mower (not tried yet, may be to big)
I will post a pic

Thanks for all the good info!
Dick Mellon, N Michigan

dickmellon

187 yanmar

Still don`t know the specs on the steering wheel splines. Ag supply has wheels for $20+s but they don`t specify splines or my model, guess I`ll call & ask.
My rear wheel hubs are warn, I`m wondering if the inner hex could be plated cheaper then new hubs. They cost over $100 ea to replace.
Do your yanmar`s have a fuel stop linkage to pump? Mine has a lever on the pump for that but no linkage. It sometime does`nt want to shut off when throttle is returned so I use compression release.
Dick

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Still don`t know the specs on the steering wheel splines. Ag supply has wheels for $20+s but they don`t specify splines or my model, guess I`ll call & ask.
My rear wheel hubs are warn, I`m wondering if the inner hex could be plated cheaper then new hubs. They cost over $100 ea to replace.
Do your yanmar`s have a fuel stop linkage to pump? Mine has a lever on the pump for that but no linkage. It sometime does`nt want to shut off when throttle is returned so I use compression release.
Dick
Did you look at Hoye's description for number of splines? They sent me the correct steering wheel for my YM186D. (earlier version, same tractor). If their steering wheel page doesn't have the information you need, maybe the replacement steering box listing will describe the spline.

Since there is a bolt to make the hub snug on the hexagonal axle after you adjust the track width, I would think that keeping that bolt tight would be sufficient. I check mine occasionally, and had to tighten one when I noticed squeaking about 100 hours since the last check. I use a torque wrench to verify that each adjustment nut is really snug. And I rock the tractor side to side as as a pre-run check to see if a hub (or the 3-point slack chains) have become slack.

I had to add a throttle return spring to help the governor lever go to zero and stop the engine. This spring runs forward to the radiator mount. Basically it compensates for 30+ years wear in the throttle linkage. It is curious that all these have a second lever coming out of the governor, - presumably for a shutoff - and none have anything attached to that second lever.

I'm still trying various things to stop the foot throttle linkage from resonating under the floorboard at certain speeds. There must have been plastic bushings under there when our tractors were new.

dickmellon

I had the wheel off to see if a wheel I have from a J D 110 garden tractor would work. It didn`t fit & I didn`t count but they are very fine. One on ebay said 36 spline for a variety of yanmar`s, my 17 was not mentioned.
I still want the lower dash panel.
I used the 72" finish mower all last summer on the 187d, it handled it just fine.
Dick

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
YM186 has Early and Late version steering boxes. I think they have different splines for the steering wheel. I wonder if YM187 uses the same box and wheel as Late YM186.

winston

YM186 has Early and Late version steering boxes. I think they have different splines for the steering wheel. I wonder if YM187 uses the same box and wheel as Late YM186.

Just according to Hoyes parts sight both versions of the 186 use the same steering wheel.

dickmellon

alright, 18 splines it is for the steering wheel. Thanks, sorry it took me 3 years to read and reply! I'm using a Bervac 50" snowblower this Winter for the 1st. Time, good piece of equipment. I never got around to fabing drive components for a Kubota 2450 snowblower, so it's for sale. I have a Yanmar front mount but no cylinder or shaft. Asking $400 or Bo, it's in N MI, 49712?