Walk Behind Edger

jwstewar

Staff member
I'm going to go look at a John Deere walk-behind edger afterwork tonight. Was considering buying a stick edger to go on the weedeater (or interchangable powerhead as sometimes called). But found this on Craigslist for $100. I know nothing about it yet. Anyone know anything about these year(s) made? Parts availability?

jwstewar

Staff member
Well it was a no-go. I called the guy when I got ready to leave work (like he had asked me to do) and he told me had already sold it.:( :furious:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
4 or 5 years ago I bought a Toro (I Think) Mini Tiller from Lowes for $99. It was returned for one reason or another, that's why the low price. It's a 2 cycle machine. Fueled it up and it ran great except the shut off switch did not work. Maybe that's the reason it was returned and of course you know I could replace that.
Anyway, it came with an edger blade that replaces the tines on one side. Take the other side tines off to use. Might be something to look into.

jwstewar

Staff member
Jim,
4 or 5 years ago I bought a Toro (I Think) Mini Tiller from Lowes for $99. It was returned for one reason or another, that's why the low price. It's a 2 cycle machine. Fueled it up and it ran great except the shut off switch did not work. Maybe that's the reason it was returned and of course you know I could replace that.
Anyway, it came with an edger blade that replaces the tines on one side. Take the other side tines off to use. Might be something to look into.

I don't think you have enough electrical experience to replace that switch Jerry.:hide: :yankchain: :biggrin:

I'll have to look into that. Like I said the other thing I'm considering is the stick edger that goes on the Ryobi. One reason I'm hesitant to do that is the Ryobi is over 10 years old and I'm just afraid if I buy something else for it that'll be when it decides to finally quit on me. (BTW, I was seriously starting to look last year because it started smoking on me, but it isn't doing that this year so I'm going to run it until it either falls apart on my or is in one big mass because the motor locked up.:) )

Mith

I think I would rather have a dedicated unit, rather than sticking an edger on the end of a trimmer. Its just asking for wear and damage IMO, an edger would be much tougher on the trimmer than trimming line.

If your Ryobi is on its way out, maybe you could look into a Stihl or something that is designed for an edger, but will take a trimmer head too.

B

bczoom

What conditions do you have that require edging?

I just use my weedeater and turn it so the string is vertically hitting the ground. Works like a champ if you use good trimmer line (the cheap stuff doesn't last long enough). Actually, I'd thought about (but haven't tried it yet) pulling the trimmer line out and putting a piece of electric fence wire in its place. I think that'll hold up even better.

jwstewar

Staff member
Brian,

Right now we have Castle Rock block surround the house. We want to do away (or move somewhere else to make more trimming) these and define a nice crisp edge. So basically around the house and probably around some more of Monica's flower gardens - she has them everywhere.:( I was mainly looking for the edger to create/define the edge. The stick ones are that expensive that it would seem like a waste to rent and then the walk behind seemed like an OK deal.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
I may go to an auction next weekend that has 2 edgers listed. Send me an e-mail if you want me to look at them. Ones a Little Wonder and the other is an MTD.

jwstewar

Staff member
Thanks for the offer Jerry. I actually bought a stick edger over the weekend. I was going to post, but been out working in the yard and in the house working on the computer after I managed to set the computer on fire after a hard drive crash.:sad: :mad2: Lowes had a 4-cycle Troy-Bilt (I know, MTD, but at least all of my current attachments still work) trimmer for $169 that included a free edger. They sell the trimmer by itself for $169 so the edger really is free (I know nothing in life is free:bangin: ). Picked that up on Saturday. Started to use the cultivator on Sunday to tear some sod up under the end of slide on the new playset addition we built for the kids with the old Ryobi. Grabbed the string and pulled it 2 or 3 times as usual. Fired right up and died. Grabbed the string again:badidea: and the string broke. Just went to the garage and got the new one. Ran the little cultivator like a champ. I tore the old one apart, but I couldn't get the clutch out of it, but I did manage to get the string out. I tied a knot in it, but it didn't hold. I'll need to do it again and run it through the handle directly, but I believe I can resurrect the old one for a little more use yet.