Is the X1100C a good machine to plow snow?

doublejack

We bought an X1100C the first year they came out. Machine is very good for most chores, but half the reason we bought it was to plow snow on our acreage. We had installed a BOSS V plow with hydraulics which cost over $3000. The plow is great, but the Kubota is NOT a good machine for plowing snow.
The problem is the difficulty to shift into reverse after pushing the snow into a bank. If there is a force (snow bank) pushing back on the machine when you stop and try to shift into reverse, the shift lever is very difficult or even impossible to take out of gear and put into reverse.
Kubota has a "hydrostat pressure relief" valve activated by the brake pedal and that helps the situation greatly, but in plowing snow you are constantly shifting back and forth and any impediment to that shifting is a PIA. At times, it is so difficult to get the shift lever out of forward that we have to turn off the engine off to release hydrostatic pressure in order to get the gear shift out of forward. We've had the dealer work on the machine several times to solve the problem and they've made small improvements. We've been plowing snow now for 6 years with this setup but, in our judgement the Kubota is not a good machine to plow snow with because of the difficulty to release torque on the transmission when there is an opposing force on the machine.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had that same problem. My only solution (told to me by someone here) is to turn off the engine, then it shifted easier to N, then start and put it in the gear you need. I was not plowing snow but stopped on a hill and the weight of the Kubota with me in it would cause the gear lock. A pain but it didn't happen enough to really bother me. Plowing snow it does seem like it would be all the time. That would be frustrating.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
from your description i would bet that right at the last second when you stop the machine is pushed back slightly. if this is the case then the hydraulic relief wont help because your gears are in a bind from rearward roll. next time try to give the machine just a little bit of throttle and see if it shift easy. also should check that the little poppet valve pressure releif valve isn't stuck. mine almost always is. a little drop of atf on the poppet shaft helps

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
My 900 does the same thing unless I pick the blade up before I try to shift into reverse. Seldom a problem when I lift the blade first.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
on my 07 1100 there is a knob on the dash that when pulled relieves the hydraulic pressure on the HST. the brake peddle does the same. on my x1100 the brake peddle is the only thing that relieves the pressure but if i am on an incline i have to just bump the throttle and shift. it works fine and becomes instinctive. probably wouldn't hurt to properly adjust the HST also.

4570FAN

This is my first winter with mine and I initially had the same issue. After adjusting the linkages and learning to "blip" the throttle, shifting is much easier. It's still not as smooth as my previous UTV, but the cab, heat and radio make up for it!!!!

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with 4570FAN. The RTV has shifting quirks that we have complained about for years. Why the Kubota Corp has never addressed this issue is a mystery. One day ,other side by side machines will come up to the otherwise quality of the Kubota and then folks will be buying other than the 'orange'.

Heck, even most lawn tractors have a single pedal forward/reverse transmission.

628pm

Site Supporter
I had a x900 with the boss vplow and had the same issues. I now have a Gator 835m, full cab with heat and air. No issues yet with pushing snow.

doublejack

We intially owned a Polaris UTV and plowed snow with it and didn't experience the issue of shifting difficulty that is prevalent with the Kubota. We had concerns that the belt drive system on the Polaris, which is similar to a snowmobile, would not stand up under heavy use of plowing snow, so we decided to trade up to the Kubota X1100C. We have been amazed at the performance of the Kubota at pushing snow, but as we said, the constant shifting forward and back in the Kubota is a PIA. I'd have to say that if we were making a decision now with the knowledge we have, we would go with the Polaris with a cab and Boss plow.

DwRam

Site Supporter
Another suggestion I've read on this forum and tried. Is to turn the steering wheel to engage the power steering. That also seems to help getting from one gear to the next.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On my 900, if it won't shift easily, I just apply the emergency brake for about 5 seconds.
I also found that as hours go up, this issue starts going away. Starting at about 200-250 hours, for me, the issue is pretty much gone.