RTV 900 electric Fuel pump placement?

quid_non

finally decided to purchase an electric fuel pump for my 2007 RTV 900 to minimize the slow starts and rough idle when the tank is less than half full.
I have followed the threads on this but missed where about is a good location to mount the pump and also a specific location for the wire up - - - I saw the mention about a set of wire close by but in opposite polarity - doses anyone have some pictures of this and the install location to share?
Thanks

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Did you check the thread in the sticky section also? I remember member Dennis posting about the fuel pump as well as some others information but cant remember the exact specifics. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16912 It's probably wise to get that thing on over here from china if they will still ship it, what with the shutdowns over there.May also be some warehoused over here. Good luck , bordercollie

edit: I checked the thread and there are some thoughts on how to mount and hook it up. :)

Last edited:

hondajoe

fuel pump

I did this mod a long time ago.It will fix what your talking about.I used a balklamp pump from napa rated for gas or diesel low pressure.Their are wires right behind the tank on the frame keyed on from switch.I mounted the pump on the frame with rubberized clamps and strap steel filled the clamps with silicone rubber half way down the tank.I left the old pump on and ran a hose from inlet to outlet for back up if needed.Your rtv will run much better overall with this mod JOE

quid_non

Thanks for the follow up picture 10-e-c.
That looks like a good location - any clearance issues when the bed comes back down?
Is that "green thing" the elec fuel pump and the unit directly next to it a canister filter? In my vintage RTV 900 I don't have the same amount of space behind the seat as you do - but the visual helps!

10-e-c-dirt

No clearance issues, Yep "that green thing" is the pump, I bought another Kubota RTV filter and mounted beside pump, still has OEM filter houseing in stock location, but only using for a settlement bowl now,(no paper filter), OEM is PIA to change,
BTW its a 2014, 900X.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have a question???? does the rtv have a primary fuel pump mounted on the side of the block? if it does when you install an electric pump do you disconnect the old pump from the fuel supply?

quid_non

Yep - manual fuel pump is installed on side of engine block. I left it there and just attached the hose from the elec pump to it. I stand on the shoulders of giants of this forum here - we had a lively bit of discussion on this on earlier threads - the consensus was leave the existing pump in place.

quid_non

Thanks for the compliment! Took some noodling to figure out where to put that pump and minimize the length of fuel line and possible twists/bends. Appreciate your comment!

10-e-c-dirt

I left the OEM pump on the block, used about 2 feet of fuel line connected to the inlet and outlet filled with 0-20 motor oil, to keep it in working order, if something goes wrong w/ electric pump, just switch some fuel lines arond and be on my way,,,I Hope..

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
why did you abandon it then if you expect it to work in the future? the reason i ask is because the fuel pump on the block is just a diaphragm pump and if the diaphragm goes bad then fuel will contaminate the engine oil. but only if it is left in the fuel circuit.

10-e-c-dirt

why did you abandon it then if you expect it to work in the future? the reason i ask is because the fuel pump on the block is just a diaphragm pump and if the diaphragm goes bad then fuel will contaminate the engine oil. but only if it is left in the fuel circuit.

I had a problem & posted here about that 2-3 years ago. So from memorably about most of the details (give me a break I'm 71 & can't remember what i did yesterday much less 2 - 3 years ago haha)After setting overnight or a day or so, the engine would crank 10 - 15 seconds before firing, & then run very ruff for another 5 - 10 seconds. I took a educated guess(I retired after 30 years from the automotive aftermarket lubrication & filtration business so I know a little about some things, and after reading your posts, about 5% of what you know about RTVs) that the pump was letting fuel siphon back to the tank, I checked on the price of a new Kubota pump $125.00 or so I think, the ebay price for 2 of the electric pumps was $39.95,no tax,no shipping,no brainer.
I just stuck a pump on,clamped it with vice grips, let it set over night, problem fixed, so I mounted it better & put a filter beside it, so I could get to it without jacking up & crawling under.

10-e-c-dirt

BTW, I considered leaving the OEM pump in the circuit, both before and after, the electric, but decided to bypass just in case the diaphragm did go bad.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I had a problem & posted here about that 2-3 years ago. So from memorably about most of the details (give me a break I'm 71 & can't remember what i did yesterday much less 2 - 3 years ago haha)After setting overnight or a day or so, the engine would crank 10 - 15 seconds before firing, & then run very ruff for another 5 - 10 seconds. I took a educated guess(I retired after 30 years from the automotive aftermarket lubrication & filtration business so I know a little about some things, and after reading your posts, about 5% of what you know about RTVs) that the pump was letting fuel siphon back to the tank, I checked on the price of a new Kubota pump $125.00 or so I think, the ebay price for 2 of the electric pumps was $39.95,no tax,no shipping,no brainer.
I just stuck a pump on,clamped it with vice grips, let it set over night, problem fixed, so I mounted it better & put a filter beside it, so I could get to it without jacking up & crawling under.

didn't intend to insult you. sorry if i did. i actually was interested in your opinion. so i can learn a little more than five percent. my post about the diaphragm in the pump was meant more for future reader of these threads who might not know that fuel can leak into the crankcase from a cracked diaphragm in the fuel pump.

10-e-c-dirt

I did Not take anything you said as a Insult!!!! If I say something that sounded that way I Am Very Vert SORRY! I Apologize, I am Sorry!.
What I was trying to say was I only know about 5% of what you know about Kubota RTVs..
You are very well read and knowledgeable about these things!!!! I read your posts Religiously!

BTW, My friends tell my brain is wired a little different than normal people.
and my best friends, call me a Cranky Old SOB

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I had a Ford P/U in which the engine-mounted cam/lever-activated diaphragm leaked gasoline into the crankcase. The only good thing about it was that when the diaphragm ruptured the engine died immediately.
When I removed the pump, I was surprised to find gasoline all over the inside lever-area of the pump which made it evident that a failed pump meant that fuel was allowed directly into the engine crankcase/sump. Bad. Bad.

I found a marine fuel pump which was identical in design (apparently intended for the marine installations in which that same engine is often used)...except... it had an additional “bulkhead” or membrane which prevented fuel from getting into the engine-sump, and had a drain-port that sent that spilled fuel back to the intake-side of the pump. With that design, the engine dies but any fuel getting past the diaphragm went nowhere except back to the intake side of the pump. :wink:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I did Not take anything you said as a Insult!!!! If I say something that sounded that way I Am Very Vert SORRY! I Apologize, I am Sorry!.
What I was trying to say was I only know about 5% of what you know about Kubota RTVs..
You are very well read and knowledgeable about these things!!!! I read your posts Religiously!

BTW, My friends tell my brain is wired a little different than normal people.
and my best friends, call me a Cranky Old SOB

no problem at all i wasn't offended. it is pretty easy to misunderstand sometimes. i am sorry to all if i come across as some kind of expert because really i am not even close. i am trying to learn as much as i can about these little machines and have found helping others work out their problems helps me to understand my own rtv just a little more. there is a HUGE amount of wisdom posted on this forum by many many folks. :starbucks:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I had a Ford P/U in which the engine-mounted cam/lever-activated diaphragm leaked gasoline into the crankcase. The only good thing about it was that when the diaphragm ruptured the engine died immediately.
When I removed the pump, I was surprised to find gasoline all over the inside lever-area of the pump which made it evident that a failed pump meant that fuel was allowed directly into the engine crankcase/sump. Bad. Bad.

I found a marine fuel pump which was identical in design (apparently intended for the marine installations in which that same engine is often used)...except... it had an additional “bulkhead” or membrane which prevented fuel from getting into the engine-sump, and had a drain-port that sent that spilled fuel back to the intake-side of the pump. With that design, the engine dies but any fuel getting past the diaphragm went nowhere except back to the intake side of the pump. :wink:

yes that has happened to me several times also. i used to buy the little rebuild kit and just rebuild the pump on the tailgate. then came along the little electric fuel pumps and we just bypassed the old mechanical pump .