RTV 900. 2006 model

I'm trying to attach a picture but having a bit of problem ( picture is of plug and the metals attached (I didn't know it at the time but my helpers kept the plug with everything still attached to show me....Yes i bought 3 filters. 2 for Hydraulic and Tranny and 1 motor oil. Installed the new inner joints and fasten back to transmission using the sealant provided by Kobota. I didn't do any flushing yet because the sealant needed to set for 24 hours before any oil should be used.

1) Complete the assembly of rear axle, hopefully today.
2) Flush the tranny several times using hydraulic/tranny oil ( i will leave the old filters in for this) unless I'm not having any success with circulation. After circulation and flushing is complete I will open the old filters and see what is present.
3) If things are working in my favor at this time I will add the new filter and oil and ride it for couple days and possibly change the oil again.

Now that I have the inner axle attached to tranny I have to say I can't turn it my hand?? it's too hard......I'll let you know how this turns out....work continues

Kurt

Here are the picture of the drain plug

Attachments

• plug 2.jpg
    plug 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 70
  • plug 3.jpg
    plug 3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 70
  • plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 70
I bought this 06 model from an old man 2 years ago.....I'm betting the tranny fluids has never been changed.....checking the stick on top has never revealed the water or milky color......I think the tranny is done but will keep hope that I'm wrong and it can be saved to use for a few more years......but it does look BAD I have to agree.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it that the plug from underneath the rear diff case or from the bottom of the tank under the rear of the machine. you other 06 900 owners confirm for me the location of the hst reservoir? is it under the passenger side seat or on the rear of the machine under the tailgate area? if that plug is from under the gear case i would bet you are ok. if it is from the hst then i would recommend to put the new filters on and perform a flush then another set of filters. it is possible to restrict a filter enough to cause flow problems.

Yes its the plug underneath the rear diff case...the reservoir is under the tailgate area. I like your theory Aurthurites and that is the route I'm taking. Something I noticed that may need to be changed is when we installed the shaft back into the diff case we didn't line the joints up evenly with each other....now i will need to take one side down and re-apply the sealant and do this all over again..Is it really necessary to have this lined up evenly....Thanks for the Messicks service website there is some good information there.

Kurt

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't think the alignment matters from one side to the other. once you turn an arc the axles will turn at a different rate and the differential will allow them to do just that. now on the other hand it is important to get each individual axle ujoint timed correctly or there will be binding and premature failure of the axle shaft.

can you explain that to me once again.....mechanically not user friendly sorry wife making me take her to town...check back in one hour.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it is important that each individual halfshaft and its ujoints be timed correctly. it isn't important for the ujoints from one side of the diff housing to match the other side.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Old German, the transmission drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission on the older models. The plastic reservoir near the tail gate is for the hyd fluid on the machines with hyd lift etc so some machines won't have it there.. The dip stick where you check the transmission hyd oil level is on top of the transmission , next to the vent/fill port which has a rubber cap.
You will want to make sure that the joints/shafts are phased when replacing the u joints. See the thread that many members participated in and started by me. It is many pages but a good read . There is a good post on the phasing of the joints to avoid vibration- it is important to do this .
Also a picture of my magnetic plug and the small amount of" fine dust like debris " on it at change.http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13788&highlight=rear+joints+needed I had an 05 and now a 2011- great machines. bordercollie

Last edited:

ovrszd

It appears the drain plug is covered with pieces of shattered metal? Is that correct? I'm talking about measurable pieces rather than metal "dust"??

If so, there's been a mechanical failure of some kind. Probably the noise heard when the problem first arose.

Fresh fluid and filters won't fix that. :(

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
It appears the drain plug is covered with pieces of shattered metal? Is that correct? I'm talking about measurable pieces rather than metal "dust"??

If so, there's been a mechanical failure of some kind. Probably the noise heard when the problem first arose.

Fresh fluid and filters won't fix that. :(

ovrszd you could be right. the only way to tell is rub some between your fingers and see if it feels like graphite. sometimes the magnet makes the small particles cling together to look like one big one. one thing for sure though is, if there is an abundance of that stuff in the system there could be a plugged filter.

ovrszd

ovrszd you could be right. the only way to tell is rub some between your fingers and see if it feels like graphite. sometimes the magnet makes the small particles cling together to look like one big one. one thing for sure though is, if there is an abundance of that stuff in the system there could be a plugged filter.

Yes, I totally agree about the plugged filter. I also agree that the picture might not be telling us the truth. Only way to know is your finger suggestion. If you find "chunks" of shattered metal then we have a large problem.

I guess if I was going down the plugged filter path I'd swap filters, leave the original oil, see if the vehicle will perform. If it still has the identical problem as before then we have a mechanical failure somewhere.

Still a wild guess as to where. I'm intrigued by it and am curious for a solution. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst. :(

Lee1935

I have little under 1100 hours. Thanks everyone for all the good advice

Kurt

when it comes to serious problems in the engine or tranny, you really should consider taking it to a dealer where the wrench turner will not be guessing and yup it will be costly, but just maybe a lot cheaper than trying to fix it yourself ☺

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This doesn't sound good for the transmission. I dislike the noise you heard in the beginning, and milky oil you discovered..blek.... :( . The water probably came in thru the rubber cap/fill port with vent. sad over this. I'd check the engine for water too- just incase.
I'm in agreement with Ovrszd's conclusion. I do hope for the best for your dilemma and please do keep us informed. bordercollie
The evidence still leads me to conclude something bad happened in the transmission and that is why you have such terrible metal shavings on the magnetic plug. I again must agree that this looks like serious internal damage to the transmission and experienced repair or replacement will be needed. . bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have seen particles like that before in healthy high hour hydrostats before. but 1100 hours i would say that probably the charge pump needs replaced and possible the brass swash plates are scored and warped but i wouldn't give up just yet. although the unit might be prematurely worn it could still last a long time. if i didn't find yellow metal in the filters i would be optimistic. still waiting to see the filters taken apart to see what is stuck in the media.