What do you clean your plastic windshield with?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BorderCollie mentioned Plexus when talking of cleaning her new windshield on her Roxor. Reminded me I need a good cleaner for my plastic windshield.

So off to amazon I go and search for Plexus:
Plexus 20214-2PK-2PK Plastic Cleaner and Polish - 26 fl. oz., (Pack of 2)
by Plexus
4.9 out of 5 stars 326 ratings | 17 answered questions
Price: $43.81
ff
or two 7oz bottles for $24. Wow.

Expensive stuff. Are there any cheaper alternatives that work similar? I know to well you get what you pay for but man, $40+ for windshield cleaner put put me in shock. LOL :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Aurthuritis!!!!

I checked that site and found some likely candidates. Had two I was going to give a try. $16 and change.
Go to checkout and shipping was more than the price of the items. So ....of to amazon. they had one of the items. I ordered:

Meguiar’s M1808 Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer, 8 Fluid Ounces
by Meguiars Inc.
4.1 out of 5 stars 44 ratings | 5 answered questions
List Price: $9.79
Price: $7.34

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Plastic windshields can be expensive if / when you screw it up by improper cleaning.

FIrst... NEVER USE ANYTHING WITH AMMONIA such as most versions of Windex!
Ammonia will quickly ruin plastic (I suspect that is one reason so many automobile headlight lenses are ruined at the carwash....they often use Windex.)

Secondly.... NEVER use a circular motion when cleaning plastic windshields. ONLY use a VERTICAL motion...(not horizontal). Circular or horizontal motions will do the same thing....make tiny scratches that cause GLARE at night. (Think of how polarized sunglasses work.). Vertical motions will not cause scratches noticeable to the human eye at night.

Also, be certain to use plain water and your hand to remove hard bug residues, etc.... THEN use a good quality plastic cleaner.

Meguires is fine, and it comes in different levels of polish/cleaner depending upon how damaged(scratched) your plastic is...but remember the vertical motions thing.

Another fairly inexpensive product (that can be found on Amazon) is NOVUS plastic cleaner. It comes in half-gallon jugs and I use it on my RTV and my airplane windshields with a trigger-spray-bottle from WalMart.
Hope that helps.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm using a plastic cleaner called Plexus. It foams and then wipes off. A little goes a long way. I only apply it in the shade.The can says to never use paper towels also. The other day, we had a sprinkle and the water seemed to run off, like the glass product with an x on the end of the name. I will know more when we get a decent rain.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
9 times out of 10, I just use water.
Sometimes I'll use Pledge.

I'll 2nd the NOVUS products.

I also use a product called Liquid Glass. It's a wax but works nicely on my Lexan windshields.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Last trip out I got mud spaltter all over my plastic windshield. Lots of mud.
Normally I use soap and water (turtle was car soap) to wash the mud off.
Then I will coat it with a plastic cleaner was product.

Is the soap itself bad for these plastic windshields?

3rd the use of NOVUS products. Been using them on my Harley windscreens for years. As geohorn stated use only vertical motion to avoid the fine scratch/glare issue. One other trick not mentioned, use a hot towel on any bug residue. Do NOT scrub, just allow the heat from towel soak and loosen the bug splat, then simply wash or wipe off. Works every time, requires no effort and minimizes risk of scratching windscreen. Always use a clean microfiber. Any dirt will risk scratching regardless of material - even paint.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Last trip out I got mud spaltter all over my plastic windshield. Lots of mud.
Normally I use soap and water (turtle was car soap) to wash the mud off.
Then I will coat it with a plastic cleaner was product.

Is the soap itself bad for these plastic windshields?

For me, after YEARS of using "wash and wax" products on motorcycle wind screens, RV's, and plastics on various cars, can report for me, that there is no crazing, spider-webbing, or weakness that I can attribute to cleaning products. Second on Maguires plastic cleaning and polishing products...…..Good luck....Dennis