Stop Solenoid Replacement

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
I'm a 900 guy with two of them, 2005 and 2007. They are his and hers. Mine is the newer one but has double the hours (1300 hours). I do covet an 1100 though but fear of money spending holds me back.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Do you have one of these under the hoods.
cost is just a few $, and holds everything but the deer and hogs.....:whistling:

Get them at dollar stores, wall marts. Little plastic box ....

....... two guns

Attachments

• RTV Storage.jpg
    RTV Storage.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 301

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
I don't currently have one but it's a great idea! I particularly like the creative zip tie attachment. I do have a glovebox in the "hers". She named hers "Arty", so I named mine "R2". Clever, huh? Anyhow, that glovebox might interfere with the addition of the pan/box in Arty. Mine is free of such encumberance so I might go for it.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
drill a small hole in the corner so it can drain.

Use this machine in all weather, like most, and when you throw something wet in there and trying to get out of woods at night. It will drain on out and not "float your goodies in the box ":pat:

...... two guns

wheezer

Goofy Member
Site Supporter
Regarding the stop solenoid replacement, I can vouch for alignment of the solenoid in the slotted mounting holes being critical. I am a very good person to learn from because I usually make all the mistakes. When I first mounted my shiny, new, Chinese solenoid, I just slapped it on without regard for how the bolts ended up in the holes. As a result, I had it in a bind and, sure enough, it didn't reset after shutting off. However, with a little adjustment I gleaned from bordercollie's documentation of a comment from her dealer about not getting it in a bind, it now works like a charm. I had to re-read bordercollie's posts to pick it up. I knew in the back of my mind I read something somewhere about alignment of it. Duh!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you have it fixed Wheezer. It is always fun to save money and still have a good product.Congratulations on a job well done. :) collie

TaylorMade

Thanks to all of you that have posted about this "opportunity for improvement" , I had no clue as a second hand owner that my 900 would start without pushing the throttle pedal first !! This is my next project ! I will take it off tonight and let my instrument technician have a go at before I buy one. I will let you know if there is a simple clean/overhaul for this.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
stop solenoid being replaced

After several thousands of cranks, the 2011 RTV 900xt is sometimes needing a stomp of the go pedal to wake up the stop solenoid. Not a good time of the year to be buying parts but don't want to have to crawl under the machine to disengage the lever it operates when it fails permanently. That is something that usually happens at the most inopportune times- like when the ground is muddy and cold, or even in the dark and rain. I'm going with an aftermarket solenoid and like Wheezer, will let ya'll know how it works at half the cost of an OEM. When I first began this thread years ago, I used a genuine Kubota stop solenoid as a replacement on my 2005 model 900 but am going to try the aftermarket this time.
Yesterday ,my RTV's fan belt broke and I carefully limped home as I watch the temperature climb. I also need to change the fluids so ordered a filter kit from Messicks. They are a good source of oem filters and the oem prices are as good as I've found. bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0049.jpg
    KIMG0049.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

shinnery

I have a '06 RTV900 and was having intermittant problems of the stop solenoid not releasing after shutdown. Carried a stick to reach down between the bed and cab and jiggle the linkage when it would not start. I finally removed the solenoid and rolled the rubber dust cover back and worked some graphite dust down in around the plunger as I could not remove the plunger entirely. Reinstalled the solenoid, carefully aligning it, and it works. No problems for at least six months so far.
Bryce

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Shinnery. :tiphat: I have a lot of wiggle in the plunger arm but will take it apart and take a look when the aftermarket comes in. :) . I tried fixing the '05's solenoid but it was shot. If that works, I'll keep the new one for standby or send it back. :)
I can't handle being without my ride and sure missed it while the fan belt came in. I think the RTV has me spoiled... I know it does. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I put on the solenoid this weekend. I figured it was time because I was having to tap it every time and that was getting aggravating. Before I forget, remember to leave your cargo bed up and do a test to start and to stop after installing it.- This makes sure that you won't need any adjustments. If you forget and need to start/ stop manually that is easy to do by just reaching under there and pushing or pulling on the "hook".
I 'm going to do an autopsy on the old one and put it in a drawer with my other pack rat stuff- that is if it looks ok in there but I think the arm has a lot of play.
So it was still easy to replace, just like the first time at the beginning of this thread, when I put a new one on the "05 before I sold it. I mounted it loosely with the 2 bolts, fitted the arm in the hook mechanism and tightened it up. Then, put some diaelectric grease on the plug in to prevent corrosion. It started fine but didn't want to cut off. I just loosened the 2 bolts and slid them further in the long oval mounting holes. Starts and stops like new money. I bought it on ama zon for $59 delivered. https://www.amazon.com/Solenoid-168...mr3&keywords=stop+solenoid+for+kubota+rtv+900
Good Luck everyone , I'll let ya'll know if it fails prematurely. bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0004.jpg
    KIMG0004.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 1513533018126.jpg
    1513533018126.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 1513533030006.jpg
    1513533030006.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 104

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Darn it

Here it is 9 months later and it has failed. Just letting ya'll know . Yea, getting tired of cutting it off with my finger so close to the motor fan. Need to carry a dowel rod for that.
I sent a letter to the seller and will let you know the response but busy right now preparing for the tropical storm headed this way. This time tomorrow it should be done raining. (all we're supposed to get).

shinnery

About when you posted before I was having problems with mine not releasing so it would start again. I removed the solenoid and rolled the rubber up so I could work some graphite around the plunger. I put it back together and have had no problems since. I do not use my '06 900 as often as you use yours.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you shinnery. I dissected my old one back then and it was pretty shot as the arm was floppy. but , I'll try the shinnery fix on this one and see what happens- this one's arm isn't floppy so that may just do it. Thank you again. :) collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I did the shinnery fix and it did work better but was sporadic so I contacted the seller . He agreed to sell me another at a discounted price since the warranty had not long expired. I just put it on and its working great. .
As a pointer,, when you put the new one on, make sure the nub in the solenoid's arm is seated firmly in the "catch lever" before you tighten up the bolts all the way. This will help to align it's position without much grief. If it doesn't cut on or off properly, then it needs more adjusting. :) collie

Last edited:

shinnery

I just looked and amazon's price is now down to $43.00 on this solenoid. I am still running with the graphite dust fix.
Bryce

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
This thread makes me wonder if it wouldn’t be better to go back to the “good old fashioned” method of a push/pull cable like on my big Kubota M4700 tractor. Simple. Always works.