3PH tiller recomendations

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a 30HP tractor.
54" FEL so I suppose a 54 to 58" tiller would cover my tracks.
Or, if I don't have enough HP to run those I'd go smaller and offset it to one side.
Thoughts / suggestions please.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't know if this applies to you but in my orchard I wish my tiller had substantial offset so I could till close to tree trunks without running my head into the limbs. I think offset is a feature worth paying a little more for.

Of course for open ground offset would be irrelevant.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Your tractor shouldn't have a problem with that size tiller. My tiller is slightly narrower than my tire width. Kind of a PITA, especially in places like the garden.

CA - If you're under the limbs with a tiller, aren't you tearing up your roots? I always thought most trees have a root system about the same diameter as the tree itself.

Lee1935

I don't know if this applies to you but in my orchard I wish my tiller had substantial offset so I could till close to tree trunks without running my head into the limbs. I think offset is a feature worth paying a little more for.

Of course for open ground offset would be irrelevant.

knew a fellow once that got to close, the tree roots weren't as deep as he thought☺

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
CA - If you're under the limbs with a tiller, aren't you tearing up your roots? I always thought most trees have a root system about the same diameter as the tree itself.
I think our farming here is unusual. No rain from Easter to Thanksgiving, to oversimplify a little. Everything has to be deep rooted to survive. My neighbor who commercially operates/harvests this orchard for me says he has found what works best is he discs once a year in early May when the grasses dry out and turn brown, to turn under the native grasses and cover nitrogen crop he planted last fall.

He says discing breaks up the capillary action pulling moisture up out of the soil into the cover, and disrupts the gophers a little. My rototilling is to turn over the small areas that his big 8 ft disc can't reach - corners etc.

Both the disc and the rototiller climb, jump, over any larger roots they encounter. I think the surface roots you are thinking of have already dried up by the time the ground cover has browned.

Here's a photo where I rototilled before placing a new tree. As the ground dried out, no grass grew in the tilled area. The background shows the late-spring browning/drying out that I described.

Most of California uses irrigation for farming. This dry-farmed orchard is a relic of practices here 120 years ago. My neighbors have all ripped out their apples and have drip-irrigated vineyards now.

attachment.php

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Anyone know something about Kuhn tillers?
I found this one a little over an hour away.
2016 KUHN EL32-150
**NEW** 2016 KUHN EL23 ROTARY TILLER, 57" WORKING WIDTH, 540 PTO, NEW 2016 KUHN EL 23 ROTARY TILLER FOR SALE
For Sale Price: USD $2,290

Said I could get it for 1800. Sounds like a good deal ...especially if they will take my 72" Bush Hog rear finish mower on trade.

zionview

Doc, I like some primary tillage before I till. It takes much less HP to run the tiller and it'll add years to the life of your tiller. It's much easier on your tractor, too. I run at half throttle on a BX2200 with a 48" TaylorWay. When I dug gardens for other people without any previous tillage, I thought it was pretty rough on my machines.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thx Zionview.
Further checking I found that the 57" Kuhn tiller calls for 25hp PTO power. Perfect I thought. But when reviewing specs for my Grand L3010 HST I saw that specs show I have 24hp PTO.

Sales dude at the store said much what you did Zionview, tilling ground that has been tilled before should be no problem. Tilling new ground would be tough.
Decisions decisions. I will first get the tires switched from R4's to R1's then I will decide what to do about a tiller. Other option is a walk behind, but I much prefer a 3PH tiller.

zionview

Doc, I have a walk behind, it's what I loan out when people want their garden tilled :wink:. I built a single bottom plow and a chisel plow for primary tillage. Changing over to R1s will make a big difference. Try tilling without anything before it. Maybe your soil is better than mine. I wouldn't worry about being one HP short for the Kuhn tiller.

Attachments

• JD Plow 3.jpg
    JD Plow 3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P1060590.jpg
    P1060590.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 32

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't think 1 hp short is significant. It might be if you are breaking tough sod.

In this old thread I have pictures of the 54" tiller that was sold in Japan matched to my 20 hp (pto) Yanmar, and the 15 (pto) little Yanmar I actually use the tiller on. The little guy is working at full load and can be stalled occasionally so it's clearly underpowered for this tiller at 25% short of recommended hp, but your 4% variance doesn't sound serious.

You can take less than a full-width cut if you occasionally hit a difficult patch.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I tend to agree. 4% / 1hp short should not be to much of a problem. So, if funds allow I will add the Kuhn to my stable in the not to distant future.

DK35vince

I think you would be fine with even a 60" tiller.
I run a 72" King Kutter II tiller on my tractor with 28.3 PTO HP just fine.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Once I have the R1 tires on I'll Measure and see what it would take to cover my tracks. Thanks for the input!!!!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just had to post this - my (used) tiller was $200. Including a spare set of tines that are not yet needed.

It's the last green one in this photo from several years ago.

:yankchain:

attachment.php

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's the first time I tried out the tiller. First in pto low, nominal 540, then nominal 1000 (but throttled down from that). This model is intended to be driven by a 3-speed pto but anything over 540 input turns the soil to flour. That might be fine for a rice paddy (its intended use) but not for general use here where you want air space between small clods.

attachment.php

And more recently on the 15 hp (pto) smaller Yanmar. The little guy is working pretty hard but I like its maneuverability.

attachment.php

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm looking at 58" Landpride and 58" Kuhn tillers.
Any preference chain drive vs gear drive. My understanding is chain drive is tried and true in these things, gear drive is new.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never had any problem with mine which is chain drive. It's all sealed so you just check the oil level now and then.

I have a Land Pride rotary cutter. The thing is very well built. Wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their products. I don't have any experience with Kuhn.

Which Land Pride model are you looking at? I'd recommend the slip clutch over the shear pin, especially if you're in new ground.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gear drive is indestructible in the Yanmar tillers (intended for rice paddys) shown in my photo above. Just as solid as any gear transmission.

Seems to me either type should do well for many years if not used daily in contract-farming or rental use.