Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that's pretty cheap for a chainsaw. quite a bit cheaper than the Milwaukee cordless. the saw itself wasn't to bad but the battery was pretty high. it helps spread the cost out some that i can use the same battery on the drill and bandsaw. i carry charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter to keep the battery full.

v10rick

Site Supporter
Since you mentioned Milwaukee cordless I checked to confirm the cost of a replacement M28 battery. It's for their 5 piece tool kit, purchased about 2010. $150 for an OEM battery, Chinese version is $65.
The tools have performed flawlessly but when the OEM battery is shot I will likely go the Chinese route.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea the battery are expensive but not quite that bad if you shop around. i have been using CPO tool outlet and waiting for them to go on sale or buy reconditioned. i have had good luck with both and the sales are revolving and never ending. just have to wait a few weeks sometimes. best way is to buy a bare tool without the case and accessories unless you need them.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
... best way is to buy a bare tool without the case and accessories unless you need them.
Ryobi stuff from Home Depot has a different pricing model, a battery or battery/charger set can be a lot less expensive as part of a kit.

I found that a second charger is very handy, to get ready for a project.

I don't recall I've ever exhausted all five batteries before going back in for lunch or something. I initially set up an inverter to run the 110v charger from the tractor - but then I've never had a need for it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just got home about 6:30 pm and the power came on at 8pm . Very glad to have power at the barn as no generator down there. That's the other negative about a battery chain saw-if no generator or in a mass catastrophe . no way to charge a battery. If you have access to gas that is ...that a big "IF". we have a tank at the barn.. maybe I can keep an old gas saw and a battery one too. Now that would be a win win.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Just got home about 6:30 pm and the power came on at 8pm . Very glad to have power at the barn as no generator down there. That's the other negative about a battery chain saw-if no generator or in a mass catastrophe . no way to charge a battery. If you have access to gas that is ...that a big "IF". we have a tank at the barn.. maybe I can keep an old gas saw and a battery one too. Now that would be a win win.

i have a charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter. works real good and keeps the battery at full charge.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That battery saw sounds better and better (and better) :) My old husky saw which has been used so much that there is no paint on the bar, is also showing uv breakdown on all of the plastic... (case broke at hinges so is taken out of rtv in rainy weather but still gets sun) just think.. no flooding nor leaking gas.... okok you convinced me.. but the batteries.. I learned my lesson on the chinese batteries with my laptop.. I'm not a fan.. Oh hah my niece told me the proper term is asian batteries.. well exxxcuse me I said( hah). collie

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
A surprisingly small cigarette lighter inverter is sufficient to power a 110 volt charger. This one is rated 200 watts surge 80 watts continuous, and is under $20. It is similar to the one that works fine for me. Just match up the ratings. You don't need a big expensive under-hood inverter.

This even has a USB phone charger: https://www.frys.com/product/5999914
5999914.01.prod.jpg

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
That battery saw sounds better and better (and better) :) My old husky saw which has been used so much that there is no paint on the bar, is also showing uv breakdown on all of the plastic... (case broke at hinges so is taken out of rtv in rainy weather but still gets sun) just think.. no flooding nor leaking gas.... okok you convinced me.. but the batteries.. I learned my lesson on the chinese batteries with my laptop.. I'm not a fan.. Oh hah my niece told me the proper term is asian batteries.. well exxxcuse me I said( hah). collie

well all i can say is that the saw "is" plastic. except for the bar. it is light weight though and i think what i am really appreciating the most is that it is quiet and no vibrations to make my hands numb. as for the batteries all i can say is time will tell. when i purchased the saw i al ready had a couple of the 5.0 batteries to use with my bandsaw so i bought a bare tool refurbished one and saved some money. then i purchased the cigarette lighter Milwaukee M18 charger and one of the 12.0 batteries. i have yet to empty the 12.0 but did go through a 5.0 battery the other day. it lasted about an hour or branch trimming and cutting down a couple of trees that were probably 10 inches diameter. so far i am very pleased.

Asian battery!!! we used to have a saying years ago that "it was made by the J.A. Pan company" youngsters don't have a clue what that means. Ha! now us old timers say it's made in Cheena.

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
since we are talking cordless tools. i forgot to mention that a while back i bought a refurbished Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 inch impact wrench cause my air compressor is getting to heavy. WOW this thing has more torque than my CP has.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Anyone interested in a saw that uses neither batteries or gas/oil and starts every time!

Old timers know I'm referring to a crosscut saw. Whew, those were the good old days. Along with splitting mauls and wedges.

Oh my oh my. ��

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
since we are talking cordless tools. i forgot to mention that a while back i bought a refurbished Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 inch impact wrench cause my air compressor is getting to heavy. WOW this thing has more torque than my CP has.

I have the 3/8” fuel impact and it is GREAT!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Anyone interested in a saw that uses neither batteries or gas/oil and starts every time!

Old timers know I'm referring to a crosscut saw. Whew, those were the good old days. Along with splitting mauls and wedges.

Oh my oh my. ��

My granddad’s crosscut saws, mauls and wedges are in my brothers garage.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
my old chainsaw wore out so i replaced it with a Milwaukee M18 fuel 18 volt. WOW!!! why did i wait so long??? i finished the job in the amount of time it used to take to get the old saw running.

Thanks for starting the string on electric chainsaws. I've been considering one for a while but never had much info to go by so I haven't done anything.

Your post got me back on the trail. I don't have the heavy duty felling you have but I have a lot of hardwoods that need bucking and trimming. I decided the Milwaukee looked great but the cost was more than I needed to spend on one.

After several days of looking and comparing units on the internet and finally bought a 14" 40 volt 4ah Ryobi from Home Depot for $169.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...attery-and-Charger-Included-RY40530/307951574

I won't compare it to the Milwaukee but it's got a lot going for it for the price. It also has a 5 year warranty including the battery.

It'll be a few weeks before I can fully evaluate it as the new knee is less than 3 weeks old but I'm pretty confident it will do what I need.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
That's great. i bought the Milwaukee only because i already had the M18 battery system. what got it all started was i needed a cordless steel cutting bandsaw so i could cut pipe for fence building. i didn't want to drag a generator around so i decided to go cordless and the Milwaukee was the only brand that had the capacity i needed to cut pipe. so one thing leads to another and now i have an impact wrench, bandsaw ,drill and chainsaw. i can't testify to weather or not it is the best or not but it works for me. i think you will be glad you bought it.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks for starting the string on electric chainsaws.

....finally bought a 14" 40 volt 4ah Ryobi from Home Depot for $169.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...attery-and-Charger-Included-RY40530/307951574
I think you will like it. I have Ryobi 18 volt tools including the chainsaw and it works surprisingly well. I'm always pruning off rotten, punky apple orchard limbs with it, and it's the right size/power for that.

Here's the hardest I've worked it, clearing a big Eucalyptus limb that fell across an orchard row. Eucalyptus is hard and stringy.While this Ryobi is a pruning-size saw, your 40 volt Ryobi will likely be worlds better, a real replacement for a gas saw. I enjoy not having any 2-cycle equipment here now. Life is simpler using batteries.

474385d1468344241-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-kimg1634rsawdowned-eucalyptus-jpg

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Did a little trimming with the 40 volt Riobi, it has potential. Cut through about a 9" oak stump with decent speed and didn't drag. I'll know more in a few weeks when I'm back on two good knees.

CPJ-kR77AM51gAbDwKhpUz-f5eXzirTGF9UYySfp8s8LmHoNv3DNUgaTxWw0tR-mJQPMRK72SrjIvfF98git9RWxX1phMqkVlG9YBvWoCwPB43XzzoKFvo72doOU9LG59Q5MSuS2XphIBWtzXBaS7UmPDVWvcIOExthYhooZ1RUDBnSdGGXe9CtVkGHvJ0JboP9jVqjUKrYVKnFD-a_L-CGwH6B_qrc_gzbYE4d8ADGARE2SgxOfDR3e0KOlXCmlsC1m3loaFOtfqKUUMIF6TugbVTvMu7jNcYFgnFSTu2Kk5Fyh52zXoEjT7vPEeRJ1OajKQOgK5m6HduFeYAWT8XVactd2OeBxPakn3xNcLNlQk0lwI3jIwHeFAaqKw7p-BxE9Rvsy5Q6W9PEI7aSLPly8BPfAfvU3N5y0fu6fhyK61kIFAZ6IXCqrLu-I5kPaGzxo0bOuAbTrJ7THQd8_bI_vv2NQLU61LaWG0_E5nd2zs4LGRxiGWbOIN2CzAoBpvJniclhG3ZkpVOqUS30xn0_XjzPOX0Xzwddc_U0q4rQ1Zl5LP3gLTDjuH8BYFA7h3cH8lUfJ-jOwEG9wI-ptQuxT-csXyw6NHpbjVSLb9zqNz07LvOmMTASyR9rmySWs-AnDPpQGP3z3bl0lutWgw0P8c3cLzSk=w1610-h905-no

Status
Not open for further replies.