1949 restored 9N

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I believe you have an 8N. The 9N ended production in 1942. To confirm, look on the left side of the block just behind the oil filter. After the * at the beginning of the S/N, the next 2 characters give the model.

Anyway, yes, loaders were made for both the 9N and 8N. The problem is they don't work very well. Different companies made them but mounting was poor. The tractor also doesn't have adequate brakes or steering for the loader (e.g. no power steering makes it very difficult to turn).

For my 8N, I just put a scoop on the 3-point hitch. Doesn't hold as much as a loader but it worked fine.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For my 8N, I just put a scoop on the 3-point hitch. Doesn't hold as much as a loader but it worked fine.

Good info BC. I did much the same, mainly for price considerations ...I just put a 3PH carrier on the back. It worked well for my purposes.

tlk

I believe you have an 8N. The 9N ended production in 1942. To confirm, look on the left side of the block just behind the oil filter. After the * at the beginning of the S/N, the next 2 characters give the model.

Anyway, yes, loaders were made for both the 9N and 8N. The problem is they don't work very well. Different companies made them but mounting was poor. The tractor also doesn't have adequate brakes or steering for the loader (e.g. no power steering makes it very difficult to turn).

sorry it is an 8n - thanks for the info

tlk

I show this tractor weighs 2700 lbs - does that sound right? Also can I haul it on a regular 20 foot flatbed? I am worried about the width thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That weight sounds right.

It should have no problem fitting on that trailer. It's less than 6' wide and only about 10' long

tlk

will this tractor handle a 6 foot shredder or stay with a 5 foot? Also are there any add on canopies for sun that can be purchased?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd stay with a 5'. The 8N is about 23-25HP and at least the cutter I have says the minimum HP for the 6' is 25HP. My tractor is similar in HP and if I get into some tall hay, it'll bog it down pretty hard.

Tractor specs
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/2/223-ford-8n.html
Rotary Cutter (the 60" one I have)
http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/specs/326-047s.pdf
http://www.landpride.com/products/146/rcr12-series-rotary-cutters

For the canopy, I never had one myself so I can't say how well they work but have seen the umbrella type installed. Do an internet search for tractor umbrella ford 8n and you'll see some.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pulling a 4 ft cutter with my 24hp Yanmar it feels like it could pull a 5 ft most of the time, but the 4 ft is absorbing so much of the hp that I have to shift down to mow heavy grass uphill on a gentle slope.

I think 6 ft with only 24 hp is out of the question if you are cutting material heavier than a lawn.

tlk

thanks guys - one last question. I can buy a used Woods brushbull 5 foot shredder that is heavy duty. How do I know if the 8N can handle this size shredder for its weight?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can you post a link to the particular mower?
From what I see, that's too much mower for an 8N. It's for 30-120HP.
I'd look for something not so heavy duty.
The one I linked to earlier would be about the max. Just under 500 pounds but it's still about the biggest you could use on an 8N.
What's your terrain and what do you plan to cut?

tlk

Can you post a link to the particular mower?
From what I see, that's too much mower for an 8N. It's for 30-120HP.
I'd look for something not so heavy duty.
The one I linked to earlier would be about the max. Just under 500 pounds but it's still about the biggest you could use on an 8N.
What's your terrain and what do you plan to cut?

using on flat property for grass mowing part of the time but also will use in South Texas to mow senderos which can be fairly rough - that is why I am looking for a heavy duty shredder - the Woods is a BB60 model which shows 25-50 HP needed - so it may be too much for the 8 N

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Don't know what sendaros are but if you have a Land Pride dealer near you, they're worth looking at.

The first time I ran mine, I was running over everything. Made an awful racket and I figured I was destroying the mower but kept going. Got home, lifted the deck and the paint wasn't even scratched.

Bush hog also makes a quality mower. IIRC, their Razorbacks are a step down from the Land Pride but they make a heavier duty series.

Smitty335

I pull a 5 foot Mutouri finish mower in second 8n with normal grass height I've had to use first for grass 6 inches tall