m7500dt bushhog hit dirt broke transmission?help

hotbabehunter

---does any one out there have any info, and or experience with a if i remember correctly it is a 1979? m 7500 dt four wheel drive 72 hp kubota diesel tractor,

---one of my back tires went off in a hole ditch/hole, and the bush hog hit the dirt, this has happened many times in the past and at the worst the engine stalled, and it is an old john deere hog, but the clutch did not slip apparently, and the cast iron sleeve that slips on to the pto splined shaft broke off apart, and the universal joint came apart, the shaft is okay, it still works, and spins fine under power, but what concerns me, and worries me, is that

---the tractor will not move/go forward or reverse, it shifts, it feels like the clutch works, and it feels like the transmission engages, shifts, and spins, yet it will not move the tractor, i can not believe the pto broke this, and the pto still works, wierd

---at the moment i can not afford these local tractor/dealer repair prices, etc,
---what can i do?

thanks

hotbabehunter@hotmail.com

steven

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Steven! Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I hope the issue with your tractor is not a major or expensive fix .... but I've never had anything like that happen, and I can't even help with diagnosing the issue. As I told you in the PM, I'm a computer doctor ...not a tractor doctor darnit. Tractor doctor sure sounds like more fun to me.
We have quite a few talented tractor guys on here. I'm sure some of them will jump on this and give you some ideas or things to check.
Good luck with this issue. :thumb:

zionview

Since everything with the clutch and shifter seems fine, could you have broken an axle? I'm just suspicious since you hit a hole, and it wasn't the first time.

olcowhand

Power takeoff on all tractors I've been into are supplied power though a separate supply shaft. The transmission driveshaft is hollow with the shaft driving the PTO running inside it. I don't see how the bush hog eating dirt could have done this. I suspect as been said that the dropping into the hole caused whatever it is. A broken spider set in the final drive would do it, as would a few other things. You should be able to remove the shift plate to see what's moving & what's not. You didn't say, but does the PTO shaft still turn?

Last edited:

rj's barn

If you take off the top plate off the final axle drive assembly you can make sure the ring/pinion/diff lock assembly are not damaged. Have a buddy bar the engine over with the tranny in gear. I'll hope for the best for ya.

hotbabehunter

---i really do not know if the axle broke yet, i can not imagine that an axle broke so easily, since i have pulled tractor trailers before wheels spinning and digging and breaking chains etc,
a long time ago
---this was just ridding around cutting with a bush hog, the back tire went in a hole/ditch like an old tire rut, and the side of the hog, (mine is like a sled that slides over the ground so it does not let the blade get to close to the ground), the sled side went in the hole, and then the bar that holds the blades must have hit the ground,

---the pto drive shaft and universal joint broke, and, and the pto splined shaft looks good, still works, and spins, it is okay,

---i thought it might be the shaft the clutch disk is splined to, or the disk it self, or some shaft, or gear inside the transmission.

--is it possible the axle lock mechanism is doing this somehow?

thanks

steven

hotbabehunter

the engine runs good, and i do not know where these inspection plates are, my wife also misplaced my parts, and repair manul , i hope she did not sell it on ebay

hotbabehunter

--is that a gear, or shaft,
---do you think it is a locking pin inbetween the shaft and gear etc,
--do you think it broke somewhere it was designed to, to save money, time, parts etc,
--is this common?

thanks

steven

jeffmac

Same tractor

It sound like we have the same tractor . Do you have any ide where i could access a casing for the front drive hub.?

hotbabehunter

visited my m7500dt, stranded in the pasture for weeks

--so like for the 4th time i wanderd out to my tracotor, abandoned, stranded in the pasture for what seemed like weeks, i started the motor, like i had for the past 10 plus years an shook my head in disbelief.
--how could i hit some dirt, bust the cast iron pto drive shaft off of the pto shaft and break something inside the transmission, it would not go forward, or in reverse, yet the pto shaft worked fine. i tried every gear shifter, ever lever, every petal, i tried and tried like i have operated it all these past years. i even shifted in and out of four wheel drive, the rear wheel hub locker, etc,
--so once again i tried it, i listened, felt it etc, trying to detect a grinding noise, some indication of the problem. the tractor has like a five speed? transmission, and a high low shifter, and another shifter under/nest to the seat for like a high medium, and granny gear?. so i tried the hub locker, the shifters, etc.
--and i felt the gears grind a little when i shifted the gear lever under/next to the seat, but i had tried that many times already, but i do not remember the gears grinding a little, like they were spinning. i put engaged the clutch, and the tractor lunged into a forward creeping gear. i quickly shifted it into the high gear, then first gear, and high, and i was moving like nothing had ever happened
--i drove up to the barn, and parked my baby, incredible i am amazed

jeffmac

I hope you didnt wake up and find it was a dream and your tractor is still stuck in the paddock........

I would like to think the same could happen for me but when i walk out and look the front end is collapsed and the hub casing is destroyed so there isnt much hope for me to have a similar story..

I am really happy for you great stuff..

I have had a similar experience with mine when i come to think of it but i think its more to do with me learning about all the leavers .. there is a lot of choice with our tractor as to gearing.. i was rapt with it up until last week now it looks like an abandoned wreck.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Congrats HBH. :thumb: :beer: That is indeed something to celebrate.

could it have been at an angle where no fluid was around the gears so it would not let it go in gear ...and when you got it moving it was colder so the lube stayed in play. Just a WAG.

No matter congrats, and here's to many more trouble free tractoring hours. :thumb: :beer: :beer:

N

Nicahawk

I'm glad everything turned out OK.
icon14.gif

--so like for the 4th time i wanderd out to my tracotor, abandoned, stranded in the pasture for what seemed like weeks, i started the motor, like i had for the past 10 plus years an shook my head in disbelief.
--how could i hit some dirt, bust the cast iron pto drive shaft off of the pto shaft and break something inside the transmission, it would not go forward, or in reverse, yet the pto shaft worked fine. i tried every gear shifter, ever lever, every petal, i tried and tried like i have operated it all these past years. i even shifted in and out of four wheel drive, the rear wheel hub locker, etc,
--so once again i tried it, i listened, felt it etc, trying to detect a grinding noise, some indication of the problem. the tractor has like a five speed? transmission, and a high low shifter, and another shifter under/nest to the seat for like a high medium, and granny gear?. so i tried the hub locker, the shifters, etc.
--and i felt the gears grind a little when i shifted the gear lever under/next to the seat, but i had tried that many times already, but i do not remember the gears grinding a little, like they were spinning. i put engaged the clutch, and the tractor lunged into a forward creeping gear. i quickly shifted it into the high gear, then first gear, and high, and i was moving like nothing had ever happened

I think you ought to drain your fluids and look for bits of metal...

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Personally, I think you hurt its feelings mistreating it like that. It was just sulking. :wink:

I'm glad you got it moving. Bet you feel a lot better.