New Kid on The Block

628pm

Site Supporter
As a previous owner of a Kubota x900, then recently purchasing a John Deere Gator xuv835M with hvac, it is very hard to pick out one machine that will fit everyone's needs. The kubota is a workhorse or maybe a work mule since it doesn't go too fast. The Gator has the speed and luxuries (AC and a heater that will make you roll down the window). I think it depends a lot on the dealer you can work with. In my case my Kubota dealer was excellent, and then the JD dealer was just as good. But couldn't beat the price on JD. I never would of thought I would have an HVAC UTV. Yes bobcats look nice, so do Kubota RTV's, JD Gators, and other makes. I won't knock the Kubota, but the Gator is very nice so far. Also the JD dealer who is 60 miles away will pickup the vehicle of it needs service free of charge. So many things to decide on when purchasing.

RKP in SB

As the owner of a Bobcat Tractor I wasn't too surprised to see they are challenging Kubota & Deere

https://www.bobcat.com/utility-products/utv/models/3600/features
---------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like they had Kubota in mind with this feature:
"Tasks with frequent direction changes are easier too. Changing from forward to reverse is as simple as pressing the travel control pedal back and forth with your toe or heel – no gear shifting required."

I'm new to my 1100C, and it'll probably get better as it breaks in, but at this point I have to say that ease of shifting is my least favorite aspect of a machine I'm otherwise thrilled with.

628pm

Site Supporter
On my x900 you had to pump the brakes to help in the shifting also there is an adjustment on the rear of the machine that sometimes needs fine tuned. When all else doesn’t work shut it off. Now I am talking about a 4 year old x900 you 1100c might be better.

foxalaska

---------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like they had Kubota in mind with this feature:
"Tasks with frequent direction changes are easier too. Changing from forward to reverse is as simple as pressing the travel control pedal back and forth with your toe or heel – no gear shifting required."

I'm new to my 1100C, and it'll probably get better as it breaks in, but at this point I have to say that ease of shifting is my least favorite aspect of a machine I'm otherwise thrilled with.

Takes a very firm brake application to relieve the hydrostat to shift. I had the same problem as you until I learned to be very aggressive with the brake. Not much of a problem for me now. The old machines had a control on the dash to relieve the pressure. They were the ones with the 3 speed transmission. We have one at the mine. The new IRS 1100c is leaps and bounds better.

RKP in SB

Takes a very firm brake application to relieve the hydrostat to shift. I had the same problem as you until I learned to be very aggressive with the brake. Not much of a problem for me now. The old machines had a control on the dash to relieve the pressure. They were the ones with the 3 speed transmission. We have one at the mine. The new IRS 1100c is leaps and bounds better.
I'll try that -- really mash down on the brakes. It **DOES** get better as the machine warms up and I'm assuming it'll get better as everything breaks in. I sure hope so...otherwise I'll have to adjust my snowplowing techniques to try to minimize shifting between forward and reverse.
My old Gator with its CVT transmission had similar shifting difficulties, but you could usually work around it with a quick "blip" of the throttle, then shift as the revs fell off.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll try that -- really mash down on the brakes. It **DOES** get better as the machine warms up and I'm assuming it'll get better as everything breaks in. I sure hope so...otherwise I'll have to adjust my snowplowing techniques to try to minimize shifting between forward and reverse.
My old Gator with its CVT transmission had similar shifting difficulties, but you could usually work around it with a quick "blip" of the throttle, then shift as the revs fell off.

On my 04 900, If I don't raise the blade when I still have force on the snow I pushed off the drive, it's difficult to shift from forward into reverse even if I'm pushing the brake pedal.

So try raising the blade before you try shifting to see if your machine acts the same.

foxalaska

On my 04 900, If I don't raise the blade when I still have force on the snow I pushed off the drive, it's difficult to shift from forward into reverse even if I'm pushing the brake pedal.

So try raising the blade before you try shifting to see if your machine acts the same.

Taking the "torque bind" off helps a lot. Noticed the same thing.

RKP in SB

Funny, that was just starting to dawn on me as I plowed this morning. You're right, raising the blade definitely helps.