RTV 900 Front Axle

rgm

I thought I'd share this service info to hopefully help someone avoid an expensive repair.

My 2005 900R has 686hrs with no signs of oil leaks from anywhere. After finishing the annual engine/trans oil & filter change, I realized I had missed the 400 hour service to the front gear case. I didn't even know it had a dipstick!

I had to remove the plow mount, brush guard, and loosen the front grill just to get at the dipstick. I don't know how you're supposed to find it if there is a winch mounted in the pocket.

When I checked, it was barely touching the bottom of the dipstick. After removing the skidplate, I drained the case and was surprised that the oil came out black because it takes UDT trans oil, which is clear.

I know everyone here loves pictures, so the first & second are the front end torn apart and a close-up of the top of the gearcase with the black dipstick in place.

While I was at it I checked/changed the UDT in the front hubs. Both of them were about an inch low on fluid (holds 0.16qts), so I also caught this in time.

Bottom line here is that even with low hours and no leaks, check your fluid levels!!!!!

I hope everyone has a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Rich

Attachments

• 100_2197.jpg
    100_2197.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 100_2194.jpg
    100_2194.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_2200.jpg
    100_2200.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 250

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Rich, very good pointers. :thumb:
I have a 900 w/ 600+ hours and I've never checked that.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If you get one of those long skinny cheap funnels, you can refill it from above by opening the hood and looking down under that flap near the horn. Then you may not need to remove equipment You will see the twist head of the dip stick below. Just make sure to look out for dirt, there a bouts, and put a rag in the funnel till you are ready to pour. I found it really helps to pre measure the oil too. bordercollie.

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
When I got my used 900 I went over it and found eight different places to check\change fluids. The two ft hubs, the ft differential, the power steering, the radiator, the engine, the hydrostat, and the oil for the bed lift. Also jack up the rear of your machine and check that the hub flanges for the wheels are tight on the axles, found out some of the early ones were not torqued correct, mine were loose allowing wear on the splines.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
While I was at it I checked/changed the UDT in the front hubs. Both of them were about an inch low on fluid (holds 0.16qts)

rgm is correct on the amount of fluid.
:thewave:
Yes, and my advise is to all. DON'T go over the recommened amounts
on the fluid levels. For when people think just a little more will do better.
That is when seals start leaking. To much fluids will blow oil seals quicker
than anything. Use the proper weight and level of fluid. Your machine will
do much better than "over-doing" it .....

............. two guns

Mark.Sibole

on the fluids in the front differential and outer knuckles i didnt change mine for the first 2000 hours as i didnt know about them lol.
You should be ok so long as they wernt dry as a bone as no heat builds up in them like the tranny will.
You should be ok just chance and top off fluids and you should be good to go