RTV starting in low

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I have never had to adjust mine but the neutral safety switch must be a bit out of adjustment. Does it try to start in high as well? The shift linkage on the early ones was a bit temperamental and may need an adjust as well. Bordercollie had a similar issue a while back.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Mine still starts in H and I have yet to fix it. Sort of handy really. Of coarse no one here under 19 - then they are away at college. I think the switch plug is on top of the engine but sure someone will chime in . If not, I will look it up . Just got in from work and cleaned up and am going out to eat. Yaay after a long day!!! Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The safety switch is on top of the transmission case and is in the main shift arm.I will look at mine tomorrow and see if I can check it out and be more clear about the description. Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Kas1263, Do you mean it is starting itself ? I have had both problems. When it started without the key turned on , the problem was with the ignition switch ($42) and super easy to put on. Still don't plan on fixing the shift switch as it hasn't been a problem for me starting in H with the key on. My humorous episode with this self starting and blaming my collie for starting it is on the forum here. I believe it was under something like "RTV is a real self starter" or look at posts by me if you want to find it. Bordercollie.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The safety switch looks easy to replace . If you look under the cargo bed about 6" from the back of the engine , you will see the shift mechanism . It looks like a can of biscuits - sort of anyway. It has an electrical line with a quick disconnect there. Mine is white. Just under the rubber coiled gear changer arm ,and coming from that plug in you will see what looks sort of like a spark plug that screws into the "can of biscuits" .This is the safety switch. It looks easy to change out to me . The part number appears to be K7561-6221-0. It has a gasket which is K7561-1341-0. Check with the parts guy, but I think these are the right numbers. I order my stuff from Messick's Equipment. They are on here a good bit and good folks. Good Luck, Bordercollie

kas1263

Kas1263, Do you mean it is starting itself ? I have had both problems. When it started without the key turned on , the problem was with the ignition switch ($42) and super easy to put on. Still don't plan on fixing the shift switch as it hasn't been a problem for me starting in H with the key on. My humorous episode with this self starting and blaming my collie for starting it is on the forum here. I believe it was under something like "RTV is a real self starter" or look at posts by me if you want to find it. Bordercollie.

It doesn't start by itself-only when the key is turned. Don't know if it will start in the other gears. I'll check on that part tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
safety switch picture

A picture of the safety switch.

Attachments

• DSCF2611.JPG
    DSCF2611.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 354

Mark.Sibole

I thought i read someplace on how to adjust the switch or something if you have this problem but i cant remember where.