Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:43 PM

old glue is on a distinguished road
Default Need help in

Hi all new to this forum. need help in finding what model type tractor Older, we need to be able to pull 40,000 load 60ft. boat on wheels up a 10% grade. Thinking of 4 wheel drive older diesel Not to long of a wheel brace.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

That is a huge load. I don't know of a tractor that could do it. I had a 50ft 32,000 pound houseboat and we used a mobile home toter that the boat club had to pull it out and put it in the water.

We had a member with a heavier cruiser type and it would even pull the toter backwards. He ended up hiring a big 18 wheeler tow vehicle to use as a safety vehicle hooked to his boat trailer (cable under the toter to the boat trailer) when the toter would back him down the ramp. His hitch broke lose one year and the wrecker did it's job and held the boat on the ramp. Chalked it and then the wrecker put the boat in using it's winch and just let the cable out. Always hairy.

With that much weight you need a tow vehicle with a lot of weight and GREAT brakes to be able to hold that size of boat on a grade like that. I would look for something besides a tractor or rent it out the few times you need it. Good luck.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
bordercollie (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

California will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Blue

Montana? Know anybody in the logging industry? They have the experience to pull that kind of weight offroad on steep slippery grades. I would ask around for a reasonable day rate.

Like Doc, I think renting for the day makes more sense than buying, storing, maintaining some kind of monster big enough to control that much weight.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reply's, we are currently moving the boat with an excavator we have a attachment on the bucket and hock that to the trailer, it makes me nervous, so I am seeking alterative unit. My own boat 28 Ft on a 30ft bed plus the 5th wheel setup 20,000.+ I pull that with a 1 ton Dodge 4X4 diesel no problem up the same ramp.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 PM

Need some info on posting picture from E mail to this forum, its not working.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Attachments (paper clip icon)
Browse your own desktop or pictures folder, select one or more, but look at Max Filesize on that screen. You may need to resize to meet the limits.
Upload
Then resume editing, Insert (from paperclip) at the spot you want the photo.

or
Insert Image (the little mountains icon) - to show a photo that is already online elsewhere.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old glue View Post
Need some info on posting picture from E mail to this forum, its not working.
You first need to save the pic out of email to your computer. Then you can browse to the pic and attach it to your post. more info here on adding pics to post:
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums...read.php?t=301

Other Fun Forums:
Old 05-15-2015, 04:02 PM

Default Muving Boat

OK I am going to post a picture of what we are pulling. I have been checking on how to calculate power required to pull load. still learning. Has something to due with Drawbar pulling power?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 995.jpg (108.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-15-2015, 04:06 PM

O yes thanks to California and Doc Gold to get the picture.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:28 PM

Nice looking setup. I see why you are a bit nervous pulling it in and out.
If it were me I'd either hire out fo the day to put it in or out, or shop for toter that is made to pull mobile homes and a load like you have. Used ones are cheaper than tractors here. Course there are a number of mobile home dealers in the area so that's why. You might have to travel to find the right one but I'm sure you can find one. I saw a nice one here go for 4k. My boat club scarfed it up.

If set on a tractor get a heavy one otherwise the 40k will be capable of pulling it down the ramp instead of it pulling the boat out.

One question: In your original request you asked for a tractor with a short wheel base. Why? limited manuvering area? If so, a toter would be ideal. They are short week base compared to an 18 wheeler.

Good luck.

Other Fun Forums:
Old 05-16-2015, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old glue View Post
... how to calculate power required to pull load. Has something to due with Drawbar pulling power?
Great photo!

Drawbar horsepower is maximum pull forward with decent traction in farm conditions. The rating reaches maximum at some optimum speed. I think the tire charts say around 5+ mph with 10% (?) tire slip. The pull will be less starting from a standstill. I don't think there's much relationship of this number to the tractor's braking capacity in reverse on a slippery ramp.

And 'everybody knows' (legend, but based on many observations) that an old farm tractor made 30 years ago may have had insufficient brakes when new and by now its normal to find the brakes are near useless. Doc's advice of a mobile home hauler is relevant here, that would have highway-rated brakes continuously maintained to a far higher standard. But I wonder if it would need huge ballast for a slippery ramp.

Maybe the way to research this is study what other marinas use? But please post here what you find!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM

As for ballast, lke CA mentioned ...at my boat club we load up the back of the toter with cement blocks to add to the weight It works for us.

Other Fun Forums:
Old 05-16-2015, 09:26 AM

Good morning, thanks for the replies I was thinking more of a 4 wheel drive tractor like maybe a Case 2470. The distend we travel is only max 400 ft. and that's in to the storage building, with a tractor and low gearing in to the water spring time and out in the fall, the gears and engine will handle most of the breaking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gates 997.jpg (93.1 KB, 34 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to old glue For This Useful Post:
Doc  (05-18-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Whatever you choose be sure to post a video of the put-in for us.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM

Default Help

I need help in finding a chart, that shows the towing capability of lets pick a Case 2470 the draw bar tells me it can pull18,o50 lbs. but nothing indicates wheeled load towing. Example on the A7G mercury web page a 1000VG6E with a drawbar pull of 8000 to 12000 can pull 160,000 to 240,00lbs. I need to be able to show this in black & white to a Board. Thanks all from the Glue factory.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea for your solution.

Just from my own experience with a tiny rig: Pulling a full tank @ 2600lbs behind my smaller tractor, 1500lbs + me, is darn spooky when I turn on a slight downgrade (soft soil) and the trailer can push me sideways. I don't go down to the steeper parts of the orchard until the tank is near empty. Its hard to see but the level of the few inches of water in this tank is parallel to the floor of the tank.

I have no idea if these same proportions of trailer/tractor weight are relevant for far larger weights but my experience makes me cautious.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:38 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Sidebar...
CA - Do you have some pallet forks for you tractor? If you put that tote off pallet forks on the 3-point, the weight would be on the tractor and not pushing you (probably limited to 100 gallons or less depending on your lift capability). If it feels like you're going to slide down the hill, just drop your 3PH and let the tote hit the ground.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
Sidebar...
CA - Do you have some pallet forks for you tractor? If you put that tote off pallet forks on the 3-point, the weight would be on the tractor and not pushing you (probably limited to 100 gallons or less depending on your lift capability). If it feels like you're going to slide down the hill, just drop your 3PH and let the tote hit the ground.
I made rear forks to fit the QuickHitch and often carry a pallet (photo). But when I first built that attachment I couldn't carry four partial garbage cans of water with my next-size-larger YM240. (see sig photo below).

So when I had 120 new trees to water and had to make up a larger-capacity watering rig, I put this IBC tote on its own wheels.

It takes most of a day, 5 to 6 trips to go around the the orchard with this. If I had 1/3 the weight on rear forks and 3x as many trips that would take longer than I have patience for.

The YM240 where I experimented with the pallet/garbage cans for a watering rig is larger than this little red YM186D. I estimate rear lift capacity on each for driving around is maybe 700 lbs / 500 lbs respectively.

What I have worked out is to take the final 10% of several different tank loads down back, in separate trips. With a little planning this works fine and that minor weight is easily controllable.

My point in this thread is that I found a full load to be too much so I had to give up handling that much weight directly. For me, starting on level ground then taking the last fraction of each tank down the slopes was what I had to do as a compromise.

For the OP's large boat, if that excavator felt insufficient then I don't know how large a tractor he needs but there must be some proportion of tractor/boat weight that will do the job. My own instinct based on my tiny example is the tractor should exceed 2/3 the weight of the boat to control it on a steep ramp. But hopefully somebody else has better, more relevant experience to apply to this.

Doc, what's the ballasted weight of your mobile home hauler?