Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 AM

bcraley is on a distinguished road
Default 5 acre homestead in Ohio

Hi Everyone -

I recently purchased a flat 5 acre parcel that is currently being farmed in central ohio. No trees. We are building our home 250 feet from the country road and will have a gravel drive for the next several years.

I plan to mow as much as 3.5 acres with an acre of wildflowers/prairie grass planted on an acre and the half acre pond taking up the rest of it. And we'll keep a small garden.

The only tractor experience I have is on a riding lawn mower. I hear one of two things. 1.) Get a sub-compact tractor with front end loader, mowing deck and snow blade. or 2.) get a zero turn and a quad with snow blade.

My concerns are 1.) if I can mow the 3.5 acres in an 1.5 hours I don't want to prolong the mowing to 3 hour by making the wrong machine selection, 2.) how much am I really going to use a front end loader? 3.) How effective is a sub-compact tractor going to be at snow removal?

I'm figuring a budget in the $10k-$15k range, regardless of sub-compact or zero turn w/ a used quad.

So which machine serves me best knowing that I have a 5 acre flat plot to maintain that is currently being farmed?

Thanks in advance!