Fender vs dash mounted loader controls?

Mith

I'm in the process of rebuilding the operator area on my tractor. Ofcourse, this allows me to position the controls where I want them.

Anyway, I was meddling about placing parts where they seemed comfortable to use, and ended up with the loader valve on the fender next to the seat.
I'm wondering if any tractors have this setup, and if it would work out practically.
I can see a problem that it could get kicked when getting on and off.

The valve was just to the left of the steering wheel before, which was fine, except that it leaked onto my leg...
I'll add a picture of the planned location.

Any thoughts are apperciated.

Attachments

• 30-09-07_1831.jpg
    30-09-07_1831.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 263

Mark777

Jim,

I've always preferred the conventional setup where the joysticks and valve body are mounted with a stub platform on the loaders vertical towers. The ONLY drawback is limiting 'egress' to the left or right side of your tractor. IMO, mounting it off the loader tower, close enough to be comfortable, repositions it far enough away to avoid bumping or accidental contact from the operator.

Fortunately your setup seems to be versatile enough to mount anywhere you like.

Mark

B

bczoom

On my tractor, the loader controls are near the seat similar (but slightly forward) to what you have pictured. I do like this position myself in that I'm not reaching forward. My upper arm (shoulder to elbow) is pointing straight down and is at rest. I appreciate this when I'm doing loader work all day. When I have to reach forward, my neck/shoulder start to cramp after a couple hours.

I'm not a real big guy so I don't have issues with my leg bumping it. Some larger people that drove my tractor tended to bump it with their leg but it always pushed the lever out sideways. It appears you have double sticks so there is no outward (sideways) movement so it probably won't be an issue for you.

I've found that whether it's forward or near the fender, it's always in your way when mounting the tractor from the right (as is the brakes, throttle...). I make it a point to always get on/off the tractor from the left.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My control location is adjustable by sliding a pipe through a bracket on the loader tower then tightening a set screw.

The controls were all in a row with the throttle (see picture). I moved the loader controls back so I wouldn't grab the wrong lever if I ever need to quickly kill the throttle or drop the load.

After a little experimenting I also rotated the control outward a little. Now the loader controls are within natural reach and the throttle is clearly separate.
IMG_3157rLiftSeptLid.jpgView attachment 462

Last edited:

Mith

Mark, with the tractor being so small getting on and off is a pain where-ever I put the controls. I guess the only solution is to make it really comfortable and not get off! :D

BC, I hear you on that. Where the loader valve was before I found myself leaning forward all the time, which isnt ideal. I'm no giant either, so I'm tempted to go along with what you have said.

California, from your pictures, and from what BC said, it looks like I could do with mounting the valve a little farther forwards. Maybe I could make a bracket so that the valve could be slid back to make getting on and off easier.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just be sure you put it where you don't have to reach or strech for it when you want to use it. That would get old fast.
I kinda like the fender mount idea, if you could keep all the hoses and such out of the way.
I'm like BC in that I only get on (& off) from the left side of the tractor. To much stuff in the way on the right.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mith, is it customary to dismount equipment on the left where you live?

Since we jump out of the driver's seat to the left from a vehicle, and dismount a horse or motorcycle on the left, probably most of us here don't see a strong need to dismount a tractor on the right.

The World Is A Very Big Place (our assumptions may not be valid worldwide). What is the custom there for farm equipment? Left, or right?

Mith

I dont know if there is a standard to getting off left or right, all the telehandlers I have used the cab is on the left hand side, and you have to get out that way. I've never actually used a CUT with loader, most people dont put a loader on compacts.

I'd like to make it possible to get off of either side if possible, so a mount like yours California is out really.

quincy

I kinda like california's set up. When I saw it I though it was a good design, nice simple solution and he looks mighty comfortable operating the controls... If it were in such a way that the control could slide all the way forward by the side of the dash, you could get out both sides... couldnt you? It looks like that is the way he has it set up...
How about going one step further and going "fly by wire"... Set up a joystick and control the hydraulics by remote...? Kinda like a mini digger? That would be cool.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Set up a joystick and control the hydraulics by remote...? Kinda like a mini digger? That would be cool.

I like the way you are thinking Quincy. That would be way cool. :thumb:

So, what do ya say Mith, wanna give wireless a shot? :D

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tried moving the loader control forward but then I couldn't reach it. I also decided the right side was still too crowded to safely dismount that way. Too much risk that I would jump down with the throttle or hi/lo lever stuck up a pantsleg.

The left side doesn't have so many obstacles but with oversize tires it's more than a comfortable step up, to get on the tractor. I finally built an 'old man step' on the left loader frame.
P1050601rTractorStepSm.jpg

Mith

So, what do ya say Mith, wanna give wireless a shot? :D

No theres an idea, use electic valves, and a remote control. Now that would be sweet with a backhoe. Hmmm, wonder how much a 6 spool elecro valve is? :confused: Whoaa, OK, cancel that idea! :eek:

Grrrr

I think the perfect position to put loader controls is a nice joystick just in front of the right hand side joystick :D

(And then you want a left had reverser behind the wheel so you can have your left hand steering and controlling the direction and you right operating the loader)

Think you can fit all that on your wheelhorse Mith?

Seriously, I think that the loader controls are probably in quite a good place where you have put them now on the fender. With there being so little space, they should be out the way there yet easy to access.

The only problem I see is them catching on branches and things as you drive a long.

But, it probably wouldn't be much different to where they were before in terms of getting knocked.

I have never seen loader controls on the left before, I think because the left hand is normally used for steering, right for hitch controls, gears, etc.

Mith, is it customary to dismount equipment on the left where you live?

Since we jump out of the driver's seat to the left from a vehicle, and dismount a horse or motorcycle on the left, probably most of us here don't see a strong need to dismount a tractor on the right.

The World Is A Very Big Place (our assumptions may not be valid worldwide). What is the custom there for farm equipment? Left, or right?

I was taught left hand side for everything because :

The left had side only has the clutch pedal, the right normally has the brakes. On older tractors, the foot brakes had a catch on them to put the hand brake on so there was more chance of you knocking them off if you got off on the left.

The other reason was trailed equipment is pretty much always offset to the right (looking from behind). This way, if you get off on the left, you are out of the way of the flailing arms etc of the trailed implement.

It probably doesn't matter that much though on a GT or a compact or even a modern farm tractor because tractors are so different to what they used to be.

I still always get off on the left unless I can't.

Mith

I think I have gone back to the origional position that I had the loader valve. The area in the photo is where the fuel tank might have to go now. I'm not too thrilled about sitting next to a tank of fuel, so hopefully I'll come up with a better place to put it.

Its certainly a juggling act getting everything to fit, but really, there is still quite alot of room in the operator area.

As to the left/right thing, I'm just going with what is more comfortable for me.