For those that purchase a mower since '94

jwstewar

Staff member
If you've purchased either a riding lawn mower or a push mower since '94 you are eligible for participation in this class action law suit.

https://lawnmowerclass.com/

This has to do with manufacturers overrating their engines. Duh, we knew that.

I'll be eligible because of our push mower.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang, I bought all mine used until I finally saved enough to spring for the Kubota. I got a RFM with it but it's not rated in HP. :yum:
Thanks for the tip though, guessing some will benefit from it. :thumb:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, the way I read it doesn't say anything about you purchasing it new, just if you currently own it. There's no place on the form for date of purchase or who you bought it from. It just asks for the mower brand, model number. engine brand, and engine model number.

Jim, thanks for posting this!

Jim

jwstewar

Staff member
I read it the same as Jim, Doc. So as long as you still have it, I think you would be eligible for the refund.

Don

It says 1994 and after and I believe it means purchased new. $75 for a rider or $35 for a push mower. Only the lawyers will make any money out of it. I would guess you would have to have proof of purchase or all the crooks will be in for a payoff.

jwstewar

Staff member
It doesn't ask for a receipt or anything like that. Just make & model of engine and the mower. So as long as someone purchased it new after '94, I think he will be OK. What does he have to lose for trying it? Worst they can do is deny it and he doesn't get his $75. Best case, he gets his $75.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Personally I think its wrong , just like all other Class action suits . Lawyers get rich , Dishonest people are going to try to make Multiple claims & Buy up every junk used mower they can find , using neighbors , friends & even their pets to file false claims , Some folks may go out of business .

Dont bitch about the high price next time You by a new one , Your allready getting your rebate in advance :hide: . JMHO , Bob

jwstewar

Staff member
How am I getting it in advance? I purchased an item based on the specs they set forth (6.5 HP) and it doesn't meet those specs, so I over paid for an item, so I'm just getting a refund for the HP I didn't get even they that is how they advertised it.

Lets put it in other terms. I go the grocery and buy a gallon of ice. When I get home I find it is only 3 quarts. Did I not just get ripped off? That is the same thing that is happening here.

I'll stop this question comment now, does it not do the job you bought it for? No, not really. Does it turn the blade and cut the grass, sure, but if you get into anything thick or tall and it boggs down. You end up going so slow I might as well get my scissors out and cut it that way. If it were really 6.5 HP on a 22" deck, it should cut darn near anything.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I understand JW & see your point . I,m just saying I,m a against the class action suits these days . It used to be if there were enough complaints people would get together to stand up for their rights .

Now its just attorneys advertising on TV & elsewhere Trying to make something out of nothing to get some people to jump on the band wagon because of greed . I,m not saying its not a legitimate Beef & You or others dont have a right to the return . Just seems to general to me is All . Like I said its just my opinion & no offence was meant .

I,ve bought 3 new mowers & several other gas operated equipment since 94 & I sure never seen any problem with the HP . But I do tend to buy bigger then I need in most cases .

I,m just curious as to why its just mowers & dont include generators, chippers , tillers ECT ? Or maybe I missed something I Do Do that a lot . :sorry: Bob

jwstewar

Staff member
Don't know Cowboy. I asked the same question last night. We have a Campbell Hausfield Power Washer with a Briggs 6.5 HP. There is no way it is 6.5 HP. So I'm not sure why they are not included.

A few years ago there was a class action lawsuit involving Devibiss, Sears, Campbell and a few others about over rating air compressors. Sound familiar? That one was structured so that you either got $10 or $15 or tools. You could choose what you wanted from several selections. I ended up choosing to get a pneumatic cut-off tool, an 25' rubber air hose, some chucks, and a few misc. things. Probably didn't cost the manufacturers as many dollars per unit since they made the items, but dollar wise it was probably is about the same as what this mower lawsuit is if I were to have gone and bought the items.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
No I wasn,t aware of that suit JW , guess the biggest thing that bothers me about this is the no need for proof of purchase that you bought it new .

Dont seem right for say a Junker to benefit from it that just gets or buys old mowers for free or cheap . Same thing happened on the cash for clunkers deal , Allthough it was much different & I doubt many were able to take advantage of it , But sure didn,t keep them from trying :wink:

Curious if the one Your talking about if You had to show proof of purchase ? Thanks Bob

PBinWA

I have too many engines to be bothered. I think everything works well enough and I never really put that much faith in the "claimed" HP ratings.

At the end of the day the only people that benefit from these suits are the lawyers.

Erik

the letter i got on this last night said you can also opt for an extended warranty rather than the $$.
while I generally hate class action suits, this option almost sounds worth it to me, especially since I've already had the mower in for warranty service once.

jwstewar

Staff member
No I wasn,t aware of that suit JW , guess the biggest thing that bothers me about this is the no need for proof of purchase that you bought it new .

Dont seem right for say a Junker to benefit from it that just gets or buys old mowers for free or cheap . Same thing happened on the cash for clunkers deal , Allthough it was much different & I doubt many were able to take advantage of it , But sure didn,t keep them from trying :wink:

Curious if the one Your talking about if You had to show proof of purchase ? Thanks Bob

On the air compressor lawsuit, I didn't have to provide anything other than Make/Model and maybe serial number of the engine.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I have a rider that "may" qualify, I don't remember when I bought it. I can dig out the paperwork and check. I also have a push mower that will qualify. I don't know if I'll jump on it though.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On your rider, there's normally something on the mfgr's plate on the machine that indicates the year it was made. Same on some engines.

Alcuy

Times are tough enough now, and getting tougher for manufacturers in this country. We keep adding to the complexity and liabilities for anyone making things and eventually they won't make much here any more. Not that I agree with ripping the consumer off either for false claims. But the Lawyers in this country are really quick to get people to sue. And if they can on things like this to turn them into a class action suit they stand to gain individually much, much more. I don't like much about any side of this deal. Someone gets a little bit ripped off (as in this case); deplorable... Lawyers get rich, even worse because they already make too much, and create too much strife. And the manufacturers have a little bit more cost of doing business in an uncertain business climate... which they may have contributed to by overstating the useable horsepower; it all reeks of greed. Somehow there has to be a change of attitude that creates some honesty and integrity on all sides or we will continue to proliferate this kind of behavior.

And our Government is just as bad about some things, but I do not want to get started on that because this turns into a book instead of a simple Rant...

I'd rather think about watching the grass get green and being able to mow it...

Last edited:

urednecku

This is one of those cases I could argue both sides all day.
Yes, people---in general-- these days are too "sue-happy".
People --in general, including big companies-- are too "money-greedy".

The companies are trying to make every dollar they can, making things cheaper, cutting corners any way they can, and still charge the full price. (Some make an honest mistake. I'm not talking about them.)

You could relate this to a tractor company selling a 75hp tractor as an 85 hp. Probably 98% of the people buying would never know the difference, & another 1.99% would just figure the "newer" machines just didn't have the grunt power of the older ones. THEN, somebody realizes what the mfg. did................