Massey 35 air filter

JLH

I am having problems on how to properly clean the air filter on a Massey Ferguson 35. Diesel if it matters. Any information would certainly be helpful, thanks in advance.

Jim

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Is that the conical filter with a separate inner air filter? Looks something like the pic below? If so, the outer filter can be cleaned using an air compressor and it's best to blow from the inside of the filter out (or use a shop vac and suck the debris off the outer filter).

The inner filters aren't really supposed to be cleaned as the cleaning process can loosen particles which then get sucked into the engine. It's best to just replace these when they get dirty.

$_3.JPG

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
How many times can you blow out a filter like the one pictured and put it back in service?

I found something like 'Kubota 1989' on one of those once. No blowby so I doubt the engine ever ate dust, but it seems the prior owner just kept blowing out the filter and re-using it. The tractor wasn't a Kubota, so hopefully this was just old stock bought more recently and hadn't been in the tractor as long as I feared. It wasn't very dirty but I replaced it immediately. That tractor came from an urban landscape contractor so hopefully it hadn't experienced as much dust as a farm tractor.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you blow them out from the inside of the filter to the outside or use a vacuum, they can last quite awhile and get several cleanings. What kills their life is when you clean and pack dust/dirt/debris into the filter, it starts clogging similar to a AC-1 furnace filter. It then can't pull the air it needs and your engine will starve for air.

A good way to tell if your filter is getting clogged. When the engine is running pull the filter off slowly and just a little bit so there's only a small air gap . If when pulling it off slowly, there's a change in engine RPM's or extreme sucking at that minor gap, your filter is pretty clogged.

They're normally not that expensive if you shop around. I can find the inner and outer filters combined for around $30.

CA - I'm guessing that was a old stock but newly installed filter. Being a landscape contractor, he probably keeps a large stock in the shop.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a generic photo but when you have both inner and outer filters, here's something of what they look like. The inner obviously slides inside the outer.
Haven't looked at my Deere tractor filter lately to see exactly what's in it but this inner/outer setup is what's in my RTV and ZTR.

s-l1000.jpg