My YM240 and YM186D

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My two Yanmars.

YM240, 1981. 24 engine hp; 20 horsepower at the PTO.
YM186D, 1984. 18 engine hp; 15 horsepower at the PTO.

These are US-version Yanmars from back when Yanmar had dealers here. They are essentially twins to Japan-market YM2000 and YM1510D, with minor US adaptations including pull/push throttle direction and paint color.

I like to think that YM240 was the specific model that spooked Deere into contracting Yanmar to build Deere's compact tractor line for the next 20 years. Deere realized they couldn't create a better tractor in-house. "Nothing runs like a Yanmar-built Deere." :mrgreen:

I'm uploading the first photo so I can use it in my Signature.

If someone is curious about these models - I have more photos I can post. I've included a couple of recent ones here.

Rototilling. YM186D, using the Yanmar RS1400 tiller that is labelled for use with YM2000.

YM186D towing the 2600 lb watering trailer on flat ground, and again, nearly empty, down a steep grade. (Note the water level in the tank is level).

P1610147rBothTractorsInDriveway.JPG

P1640595rRototilling2011.jpg

P1670184rIBCwateringTrailer.JPG

P1670344rWatering-SteepSlope.JPG

Last edited:

winston

Was privileged to travel up one side of California making a u turn in Oregon and going down highway 1 to San Diego back in 1988. Was much impressed with all the orchards, winery's, etc. Every time I see your pictures I am reminded of how beautiful your state is.

I look forward to your posts not only for your pictures but for the no nonsense, common sense approach in your problem solving. Thanks for sharing.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Winston!

Would you be interested in starting a thread here in the Yanmar forum showing your photos?

I'm stuck inside while it rains so I looked back through the photos I've posted here previously.

Here's one I copied from Yanmar's US website.
Ever wonder why our Yanmars have vent tubes from the brake housings up to just under the seat? Yanmar seems to consider that running half-submerged is ordinary approved use.

attachment.php

Here are some threads with photos that I posted here 5+ years ago, hopefully timeless:

ROPS (rollbar) for Yanmar

Today's project - dig a basement door (backhoe). I also built a deck on that side before I repainted the house.

Strap-on Loader Forks, user-built

Welder Project - Put a Hitch on the Boxblade

Lets see your backhoe! My contribution to Mith's thread. This American made K650 hoe was also sold as Yanmar Y600.

Antique tractors at the California State Fair

Caterpillar 60 - from 80 years ago - Last shown at CA State Fair in 2002.

Yanmar Rototiller RS1400 for YM240 (YM2000) (Seller now closed).

Winter projects in the orchard

My Orchard Overall description, several photos.

Enjoy!

winston

Would you be interested in starting a thread here in the Yanmar forum showing your photos?

I am pretty much computer illiterate. Although my pictures pale in comparision I was going to post a few but couldn't figure it out. Pretty sure my size was originally to large but when I shrunk it down the picture was so small I didn't feel it worth attaching. Here is my example. :confused:

Attachments

• 100_0954.jpg
    100_0954.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 25