4630 SCV adjustment

BOBED1

Looking for the Old timers to give me a little instruction. Changing seals out of my upper and lower portion of my SCV. Just need some help getting her adjusted. New to this work so need a step by step. I don't have the JD tools or the JD manual for making the adjustment. I've seen info of folks using shop air and hooking up to SCV's to make the adjustment.. Any help is appreciated.

jdgreen

I have adjusted hundreds of these over the years, but I have always used the special tools and dial indicator to adjust the valves. The 2 return valves get adjusted to about .021" clearance and the pressure valves about .060". You need to have some method of holding the valve you are adjusting firmly on it's seat while adjusting. A tech manual would be a must here, trying to explain the correct procedure without photos is near impossible. I'm not saying adjusting without special tools is impossible, but I have never done it. I always had access to the proper tools. How were the valve seats on the valves and in the housing? Most times the seats in housing need regrinding to get a good seat and the valves have Teflon seats that get dirt embedded in them requiring replacement of valves for proper operation.

BOBED1

I'm replacing all 4 valves. What about Springs.. any need? I'm just learning here. I can always carry it to my local dealer and get the adj done if I have to.. But I am always look forward to learning more about how my equipment works and finding the boundaries by which I can accomplish my own work.. Lots of knowledge out there, Not much on Utube on this stuff though.. HAHA.. Thanks for the comment JD..

jdgreen

Springs typically do not need replacement. The detent roller many times is worn and needs replacement. Sometimes the detent cam also...