Crap Sums it Up

v10rick

Site Supporter
^^^Agree^^^

Considering the robust construction of this engine and diesels in general I am thinking it may tolerate more abuse, compared to a gasoline version of equal HP.

Seems like a common complaint on this forum is lack of power on hills...I thought the same. But I was comparing this RTV to my BX tractor, equipped with the same d902.

Installed the idle control suggested here, but cannot say for certain what effect it had on power from a stopped position.

I removed the spark arrester while doing the head work, which may have helped, but after the head work the climbing power is a close match to my BX2350, equipped with a front loader and belly mower.

No telling what the future holds for this engine. If necessary I am prepared to purchase a new OEM bare block and transfer whatever is salvageable. I confirmed with Messics that a new Kubota block is about $550.

D902 pulls are just too expensive IMO. Even with a 30day guarantee the amount of work to make the swap, only to discover it has an issue that requires a return, its not worth it. If RTV engines were closer to $1500 maybe yes.

I contacted a CL seller, with an RTV listed, who mentioned the d902 was swapped with a d782. He went that route because the 782 engine was around $1500. BUT the engine mounts had to be moved, the oil pan shield required modification along with modding the intake and exhaust to fit. He felt it was not worth the effort but because of $$ it was his only option.

Last edited:

v10rick

Site Supporter
d782
Power 22 Kw / 29 HP
RPM @ 0 RPM
Price $1595.00

This engine seems to be plentiful, compared to the stock 902 engine, any mods required?
Details please.

My engine with the cracked block has been running perfectly, but its nice to have a backup plan.

ccoop1

I had to change the thermostat housing to connect the transmission cooler hose . Had to remove the head to get to 1 bolt out of the thermostat housing . Seen a post on here where someone had done it without removing the head . I used the front pulley and flywheel off the 902. The engine mounts will have to be modified. The 782 is about 1 3/4 in shorter . The exhaust manifold will need to be changed . I found one on EBAY that came off a cub cadet . I had to add a plate onto the bracket where the muffler mounted . You will have to make a bracket for the throttle cable to mount to the engine. You will have to make a new skid plate because the oil pan is deeper .The speed will be a little less because the 902 is governed at 3800 the 782 is 3450 . On the engine mount I cut the top part off of the original mount and added a piece of angle that I had already drilled the holes to match the engine . I bought my engine from Japanese diesel in Pulaski Tennessee 931 492 0316 This is the cub cadet part number the guy had listed on the ex manifold that I bought on ebay 15861-12310

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I think it is amazing how resilient the American farmer has been. To recover a blown out piece of block and weld it back it...then return a tractor to service is just makes me smile.

Although I know at lot of this still goes on, I fear it is also becoming a lost art. Several years ago, my Daughter and I rebuilt the engine on our Ford 9n and my neighbor shook his head and asked "why?" Just go get a new tractor. I tried explaining that our income is unpredictable and tied very much to the weather. You have to keep things running until you can't. Maybe when you can see through the old Ford's block, I might consider other options....maybe.

v10rick

Site Supporter
In my early days restoring muscle cars I encountered a broken 426 HEMI block. Apparently it rolled over in transport which broke the block where the oil pickup was attached. A local machine shop in Frederick MD had a furnace to heat the block and made the repair. It seemed like a routine fix or them. I don't recall the cost but it did not matter, MOPAR was not making HEMI crate engines back then.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I think it is amazing how resilient the American farmer has been. To recover a blown out piece of block and weld it back it...then return a tractor to service is just makes me smile.

Although I know at lot of this still goes on, I fear it is also becoming a lost art. Several years ago, my Daughter and I rebuilt the engine on our Ford 9n and my neighbor shook his head and asked "why?" Just go get a new tractor. I tried explaining that our income is unpredictable and tied very much to the weather. You have to keep things running until you can't. Maybe when you can see through the old Ford's block, I might consider other options....maybe.

Good on ya!

About 2 decades ago I was in financial difficulties and obtained a “throw-away” Ford 9N free. It had a “blown” engine I was told. I found the No 1 cylinder with zero compression and the sleeve shattered and down in the sump.
For less than $300 I bought a complete engine overhaul kit and installed all new sleeves, pistons/rings, bearings etc. and used that tractor for 17 years in every imaginable task which I could not have accomplished otherwise.
When I recovered financially I returned it to the donor in great running condition as a form of thanks. He’s using it to this day. Good ol’ basic tractor still doin’ it’s duty.

v10rick

Site Supporter
A good welder sometimes can repair cracks, might be worth checking out

I think I would file a grievance with ebay

I have recently discovered how this and other shady eBay sellers may have a 5 star rating.
If eBay is not part of the payment transaction buyer feedback can be deleted by the seller.
This seller did not accept PayPal or credit cards, wire transfer, money order or check only.

BTW they have recently vanished from eBay, now selling on Facebook.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Very good point V10rick. If they won't do paypal , I don't mess with them. I heard from another friend that sometimes items may be "hot" under those circumstances. That's a "sometimes" that I won't chance anymore after hearing happenings like this. Thank you for posting !!! collie