Jd 2840

Jd2840

I have a 2840 john Deere. I changed the hyraliuc fluid and filter screen. I also changed out the control value o-rings and the gaskets and o-rings on the gear shift housing. Put new fluid in. Now after bush hogging for a bout 30 min or when fluids get hot, fluid is coming out of the gear shifter leavers. It's not pressure it like it's over filled. Just going down hill. I have talked to a couple of dealers and they just want to start changing parts. Oh and everything works like it should

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing that comes to mind is actually pressure. There should be a vent pipe or hose either under or behind the seat. I'd stick a wire in it to see if there's any obstructions. Bugs and bees like to move into areas like that.

Another possibility is a suction leak somewhere that's allowing air bubbles into the fluid which also makes it expand. As you're aware, heat alone expands the fluid.

Since everything is working, it's unlikely but possible that there's still air in the system which is increasing the volume and making it overflow.

Did you use Hy-Gard or generic fluid?

Here's another thread on 2840 hydraulic issues. Not sure if it will help your situation.
http://nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14990

Jd2840

Jd2840

Tractor supply fluid anti foaming. Lucus addictives and the vent on that tractor is on the fill cap I think.

Jd2840

How do you get the air out. And does anyone think it could be and of the tubes causing this problem.

Jd2840

Ok I have done some more checking on my 2840. I put the tractor on gear and drove around for a bit I pulled the shifter leaver out while drive to see what all I could see I was going up hill so the engine was under load it looked fine I could see the oil moving around. When I turned and started down hill tractor not under Load oil started shooting out the shifter hole. I went back to the barn and just sitting there I could have the tractor at a idle the oil was normal but I could idle it up and it would start shooting out the hole again. All I can tell is that it's coming off a gear on the pump I think. Is this normal I never notice this before I serviced it. The oil I use was super trac 303 is it any good or do I need hi guard