x300

I have a x300 mower with a blown engine ,hole in block,Kawasaki FS54...,What engine can I replace it with,where to find new/used?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's not good. :(

Not sure about the Kaw, but Northerntool has a nice selection of engines about that size at "reasonable" prices. I've also had good results with mowpart.com but they may be a little more expensive.

Being a Kaw, it's going to be pretty expensive. I'd probably look for a B&S or Kohler compatible engine. I'd think if you called either of the companies I mentioned, they can give you the compatible engine models.

Any chance you could re-build it? (pic up new block, piston, rings...) but keep everything else?

I will check those out,block has hole in side and oil leaking.is there something that can be repaired.someone who knows welding and mechanics said must replace but 2d opinions experience may differ.I know how to get it to a shop.Not dealer Of course mower is still under warranty.dealer said oh no your fault.despite my telling them before it was picked up it had oil leak driver started engine drove .did not have hole when they picked it up,sucks big time

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The block will need replaced as well as some other components if you go the rebuild route.

I'd be having it out with that dealer. How are they saying it's your fault? What did they say caused the hole anyway? If still under warranty, I'd be checking the warranty on the engine itself.

I sure as heck wouldn't be using that dealer for the service if it's out of your pocket. Why give them your money?

If you're going to replace the engine, it's normally pretty straight forward. Take pics and notes of the wires, make sure new engine has capability to accept existing wiring then remove. Disconnect the drive pulley. Remove 4 bolts holding the engine to the frame. Install the new engine in the reverse order. You may need to tweak the process for the pulley and may have to address the muffler.

dealer said not covered not engine defect and engine was run without oil,yes by the pickup driver on to truck,anyway never will take to jd dealer again.I had problem with another so changed location,same crap over another tractor,thanks for the info,so I will find an engine

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't find a manual for a FS54 so I'm looking at a manual for FS541v.

I can't believe I don't see anything about a low-oil shutdown. I thought every decent engine has that now. If your oil gets low, the engine shuts down.

I'd still fight it out with the dealer. If it's under warranty and has an oil leak, that's problem #1. If the driver drove it knowing the oil issue, he should have checked before operating. That's problem 2.

Have you considered going over the dealer's head and talking to someone at JD or Kawasaki? They normally have a regional representative you can talk to about this.

I talked to someone at JD he backed up the dealers lie and said it was not a engine defect, I will see what Kawasaki sz but sometimes after being jerked around long enough it is what it is. Oh the same driver asked about buying the mower since he"had an engine" when he bought it back

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You need to know the diameter of the shaft. Does the shaft come out the side (normally front or rear) or does it come out the bottom? Get the HP from the Kaw. You'll want that as well so you can try to match.

Also, try to get measurements for the 4 bolts that hold the engine to the frame.

Take some pics of your engine. Make sure things on the replacement match up closely. E.g. the starter, carb... If they're not close, you'll find yourself having to change throttle cables, electrical wires...

If you post a couple pics here of your existing engine, we should be able to confirm your selected replacement engine once you narrow it down to a couple.

What State or Region are you in? If other members are like me, we normally have a spare engine laying around. E.g. I have a 2-cyl 18HP Kohler (Command Pro?) engine that runs perfectly laying around. Craigslist may be another option once you find what you need for an engine. It's not unusual to buy a whole lawn tractor on CL for cheaper than what a new engine costs.

I will take some pic. Kawasaki no help said jd has secret code to prevent getting any other but jd replacement.??? I an in dayton ohio area.I found a possible engine on craig ,yes I see some used mowers at good prices but I will not buy new engine.I found used troy bilt at auction that is serving well.

Attachments

• MP38637________UN13SEP06.jpg
    MP38637________UN13SEP06.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe you can sell it or trade it for something that is not JD. I hate when companies back you into a corner where you have to buy their stuff when their original stuff goes bad. :angry: