John Deere 5303 Noisy PTO Clutch

countrytool53

Hi
I Have read quite a bit on this site and often found advice very handy. Now I got a problem so I decided to join and hope you guys can help.
I bought a John Deere 5303 FWA 2008 model tractor. Got 2600 hours on and I really enjoy the tractor, especialy the FEL . But my clutch started making this terrible dry screeching noise, so I put a new clutch in. The old clutch was actually not bad. Anyway replaced bearings as well as had the flywheel machined, which was not really necessary. To my disapointment it made the same noise. Everything works perfect, normal clutch PTO engage and disengage, but when you press the clutch pedal about halfway down you hear that noise. As soon as the clutch pedal is all the way down it stops. When you drive say 2 nd gear and depress clutch pedal to change gears you hear that noise, As soon as pedal release no noise. We sure the noise is coming from the PTO part of the clutch as you can feel friction on te PTO shaft if you hold it in your hand (beiing disengaged off cause)and depress thr clutch, Then it stops when the clutch bottoms out/ Have changed rear transmission oil so sure the oil is good. There must be some adjustment on the clutch for the PTO shaft. I have disengaged the PTO lever that engages the PTO clutch totally and it still makes that
noise. Hope you guys can help me with this,
Thanks
Hendrik
Western Australia

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi CT. Nice to meet you, and glad you decided to post.
I did a couple searches since I have no ideas outside of what you already tried ....I found lots of screeching clutches but nothing JD specific. You have everything new in there so I can't imagine why it is still screeching. Never fear, I am an IT guy not a mechanic so with a little luck one of our real mechanics will show up and toss out an idea or two.

jdgreen

The foot operated pedal should have no effect on pto operation. The lever beside the seat operates the pto. If there is action on pto with foot pedal, I suspect the release bearing operating sleeves are binding. parts numbers 5,6,and 7 need to slide freely over each other. When clutch is serviced, these parts need to be cleaned and lubed so they slide freely. Parts number 9 also need to be free in forks number 10. If this is all free, I suspect something may be assembled incorrectly in the clutch assembly.

Attachments

• PUBM1244_______UN30MAR10.jpg
    PUBM1244_______UN30MAR10.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7

countrytool53

JD 5303 noisy clutch

Thanks for info.
All the slides were taken out cleaned, lighty greased up and moved freely before we reasembled.
One thing which I have not done is adjust the PTO clutch operating rod. I have disconnected it but maybe it needs to pull back a little as I might have some freeplay on the lever. I will try that tonight and HOPEFULLY that will make a differrence , What do you think .

countrytool53

Morning Guys,
JDGreen you were right, On closer inspection I can see that the clutch pedal also affects the PTO lever. I wedge a bit of wood under the Pro lever and then no noise from clutch although it was a lot harder to depress the clutch.If you take both clutch levers in your hand you can move them individual but as the clutch(engine) goes further down it takes the PTO one with So the problem must be in the sliders or maybe the forks got mixed up, although they looked very similiar. will have o open the tractor up again. Any further ideas and sorry for doubting you yesterday.
Thanks

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the update country tool. Now good luck getting her fixed and getting rid of that squeak.