Oil Filters REVEALED

UncleBuck

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html#warning

This site gives breakdown of MOST major oil filter manufactures
and has numerous links for more info - this will keep you busy while waiting for the BIG GAME :cool:
Doc
don't know if this is the right forum ? I have bookmarked this site for future
"REFERENCE"
If not, feel free to move it where you want it, also, where would other future questions about filters, oils, fuels go ?
thanks

N

Nicahawk

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html#warning

This site gives breakdown of MOST major oil filter manufactures
and has numerous links for more info - this will keep you busy while waiting for the BIG GAME :cool:
Doc
don't know if this is the right forum ? I have bookmarked this site for future
"REFERENCE"
If not, feel free to move it where you want it, also, where would other future questions about filters, oils, fuels go ?
thanks
That's a lot of informative information.
icon14.gif

irwin

I've been using NAPA Gold filters for a few years now, Well, had my first bad experience, I change fluids and filters on the 770 this past fall and I found a few drops of oil under the filter, It's tight and still seeping.. I'll wait til the weather warms up in a few weeks and pick up some green JD filters for the fix... I'll still use the NAPA gold on my cars and trucks.

Any studies done that include NAPA filters, they are so convenient for me to get, the NAPA store delivers to my shop many times a day.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jim just to let you know the Mahindra link is wrong. It is listed as mahindrause.com is should be mahindrausa.com

Ed

Just checking to see if you guys are paying attention:tiphat:

(It's fixed now. Doc's server must have a bug in it)

Pete

The NAPA filters are made by WIX. Wouldn't swear to it, but also wouldn't be surprised if they don't make them for John Deere as well.

Who really made your filter?

The real problem is filters are an out-sourced product that can be re-vendored whenever a contract is renegotiated...

B

Barnboy

I use Fram for my truck. I hear they are not the best but i have never had a engine failure.I do change my oil every 3000 miles.

doolyoz

Fuel & oil filters

Tell you a story….A few years back a customer of ours purchased new, a JD grader.
A few weeks later it had fuel problems; a JD mechanic was sent to find the cause… He reported back that the reason was.
Wrong fuel filters had replaced the originals.
This in turn had allowed dirt to inter the injector pipes causing the injectors to become blocked.
The filters were purchased from a reputable dealer, when questioned he pointed out that if you scraped off the green paint you would find the Wix number beneath.
As this was a serious matter a meeting was held between us, the owner and JD.
We listened to the JD Mechanic version of events… I pointed out that the filters used were indeed the same except for some paint. All inspected a new JD filter with some paint removed.
We then inspected the dirt removed from the injector lines; it consisted of what looked like fine sand and particles of rust.
I asked the JD mechanic can water pass through a rotary diesel fuel pump. he answered correctly no. I then asked him how the dirt passed through. He couldn’t answer, his boss shook his head.
That was the end of the matter. JD fixed the engine at no cost… and nothing was said anymore about filters. The dirt was in the injector pipes when fitted.
Note both JD and Caterpillar paint over generic filters. Hope this helps others

workinallthetime

as a mechanic for years i have always lived by 1 rule. I use gm filters on gm engines, i use kubota filters on kubota engines and so on. To me no matter who makes the filter for brand x engines they are built and designed per the mfg, there is a reason the other filters are cheeper and i dont want to find out why. Yes i might save a couple bucks but its just not worth the hastle if something goes wrong. I have seen major engine work declined because a customer had a aftermarket filter on an engine. Now that I am in a position of authority in a shop I see the point, as a tech i did not really understand what was up. When dealing with customer assistance on an issue if the customer apears to be a good customer, the help is available but if a customer looks like someone who only comes to the dealer for hand me outs and never does any service work at the dealer then chances are they wont get any help after their standard warranty is up. I can actually extend or goodwill as they call it up to 60k miles on the trucks and cars i see but if someone only comes in for warranty work has after market filters and has never done any service work at my dealer it just doesnt make good business sense to help them in anyway. I am giving away money to someone who does not spend any money at my dealership. Its all business and i just perfer to not take any chances, i use the filters and parts from the company who built what i owe lots of money on.

Pete

There are two sides to every coin, workin. You've been exposed to the OEM brain-washing for all those years. I, on the other hand have lived a good portion of my life in the aftermarket. I've been to a number of factories and seen the goods coming down the lines going into a variety of boxes.

At one time I was a factory sales rep for the Monroe shock people. They had a full warehouse, several forklift levels high, of boxes. Not their boxes, but boxes for their main competitor, Gabriel. Also boxes for Ford OEM and Motorcraft, GM OEM and Delco and all sorts of private label retailers.

Also, boxes for tractor manufacturers for the little shocks under the seats, shock boxes for truck manufacturers, even for independent rear suspension and tag axle manufacturers.

With ignition parts, all for the "bakelite type" products such as caps and rotors have mold marks in them. Back in the day when "Genuine GM" parts came in sealed boxes with pull strings to open them I would bet with my GM dealership customers that I could pull a cap off my shelf and it would have the same mold mark as on of their "genuine" parts that they could pull the string on, so there was no playing around.

At the time I was selling Guaranteed Parts, a major phenolic manufacturer for many other companies. Their mark was a diamond with a line through the center of the center that extended on one side. I'd win more than I'd lose. I sold quite a bit to GM dealerships, I've spent many an hour with the guys at the back counters. I'd even make the bet with some techs from time to time. Sort of open their eyes to reality every once in awhile. It's all the same stuff, it all comes down the same line.

One time I ended up in court over a carb kit. Long story, I'll skip the details. Question was OEM vs aftermarket on a carb kit for a Rochester 4GC I think it was. We actually sliced open the sealed bags of one of my kits and a "Genuine GM" kit on the judges counter or whatever you call it.

Item for item they were identical. Laid the gaskets in on the other. Same material, same colors, etc. Even the metal rods on the accelerator pumps had the same scratches in the same places. The instruction sheets were identical, generic with no brand name. Satisfied the judge.

There is nothing wrong with your attitude. And the premium prices the dealerships charge are what makes parts and service often the one profitable area of the entire operation. From a professional standpoint, it's been good to your for years. More power to you.

But, realise it's marketing to the public and propaganda to the techs, not any real difference in the goods themselves. They really do all come down the same line.

We've all got to make a living, and there is no "one size fits all" for dealing with the public. If you can get $40 for the identical item I sell for $ 25, more power to you. But don't kid yourself that you are selling a superior product.

Probably the greatest indication of "aftermarket vs OEM" is in the sheet metal field. Where 10 or 15 years ago an insurance company would not condone use of non-OE sheet metal. Now they not only approve it, but in some cases insist upon it.

Other than the parts issue, I'd say your attitude toward people who bought the brand of car your dealer is selling leaves something to be desired. Just the sort of thing that drives customers and prospects elsewhere.

One time, when working for Monroe I had a current year leased Ford break down in the middle of nowhere. I got it towed to a Ford dealer in a small town and they quickly told me it would be a couple of days to get it fixed. I was on the road, had my packed bags in the trunk. And appointments miles away for the next couple of days.

That "country dealer" gave me a rental to use - FREE. Leased car, owned by some fleet leasing company in Michigan, Missouri tags, clearly warranty work and the gave me a car for a couple of days. Knowing full well that they were never going to sell me a car, that the only time they'd ever see me again was if I made a call on them with the local parts store guy.

I urge you to reconsider your options. There is no telling, it might turn out that treating the sometimes customer as if they were your number one customer might just pay off.

workinallthetime

There are two sides to every coin, workin. You've been exposed to the OEM brain-washing for all those years. I, on the other hand have lived a good portion of my life in the aftermarket. I've been to a number of factories and seen the goods coming down the lines going into a variety of boxes.

At one time I was a factory sales rep for the Monroe shock people. They had a full warehouse, several forklift levels high, of boxes. Not their boxes, but boxes for their main competitor, Gabriel. Also boxes for Ford OEM and Motorcraft, GM OEM and Delco and all sorts of private label retailers.

Also, boxes for tractor manufacturers for the little shocks under the seats, shock boxes for truck manufacturers, even for independent rear suspension and tag axle manufacturers.

With ignition parts, all for the "bakelite type" products such as caps and rotors have mold marks in them. Back in the day when "Genuine GM" parts came in sealed boxes with pull strings to open them I would bet with my GM dealership customers that I could pull a cap off my shelf and it would have the same mold mark as on of their "genuine" parts that they could pull the string on, so there was no playing around.

At the time I was selling Guaranteed Parts, a major phenolic manufacturer for many other companies. Their mark was a diamond with a line through the center of the center that extended on one side. I'd win more than I'd lose. I sold quite a bit to GM dealerships, I've spent many an hour with the guys at the back counters. I'd even make the bet with some techs from time to time. Sort of open their eyes to reality every once in awhile. It's all the same stuff, it all comes down the same line.

One time I ended up in court over a carb kit. Long story, I'll skip the details. Question was OEM vs aftermarket on a carb kit for a Rochester 4GC I think it was. We actually sliced open the sealed bags of one of my kits and a "Genuine GM" kit on the judges counter or whatever you call it.

Item for item they were identical. Laid the gaskets in on the other. Same material, same colors, etc. Even the metal rods on the accelerator pumps had the same scratches in the same places. The instruction sheets were identical, generic with no brand name. Satisfied the judge.

There is nothing wrong with your attitude. And the premium prices the dealerships charge are what makes parts and service often the one profitable area of the entire operation. From a professional standpoint, it's been good to your for years. More power to you.

But, realise it's marketing to the public and propaganda to the techs, not any real difference in the goods themselves. They really do all come down the same line.

We've all got to make a living, and there is no "one size fits all" for dealing with the public. If you can get $40 for the identical item I sell for $ 25, more power to you. But don't kid yourself that you are selling a superior product.

Probably the greatest indication of "aftermarket vs OEM" is in the sheet metal field. Where 10 or 15 years ago an insurance company would not condone use of non-OE sheet metal. Now they not only approve it, but in some cases insist upon it.

Other than the parts issue, I'd say your attitude toward people who bought the brand of car your dealer is selling leaves something to be desired. Just the sort of thing that drives customers and prospects elsewhere.

One time, when working for Monroe I had a current year leased Ford break down in the middle of nowhere. I got it towed to a Ford dealer in a small town and they quickly told me it would be a couple of days to get it fixed. I was on the road, had my packed bags in the trunk. And appointments miles away for the next couple of days.

That "country dealer" gave me a rental to use - FREE. Leased car, owned by some fleet leasing company in Michigan, Missouri tags, clearly warranty work and the gave me a car for a couple of days. Knowing full well that they were never going to sell me a car, that the only time they'd ever see me again was if I made a call on them with the local parts store guy.

I urge you to reconsider your options. There is no telling, it might turn out that treating the sometimes customer as if they were your number one customer might just pay off.

To each his own,
A person makes choices based on their life and their experiences, I know gm farms out production, there is no doubt about that. I also have seen the effect of aftermarket fuel filters on durimax engines, however unscientific the test i did was i quit counting at 40 aftermarket fuel filters to 1 GM (made by racor) in relation to fuel injector failures. I can not count the times I told someone they had a bad cat converter, they leave because they dont want to pay for the high $ gm and go to a local muffler shop. The next week they are back with a cat code for low efficiency due to the aftermarket cat. Then there are the distibutors which have reverse polarity from the gm or the aftermarket fuel pump modules that you cant replace just the sending unit on. Oil filters that are made for the engine in the aftermarket world but do not have a drainback valve. Oxygen sesnors which are correct in every way except the voltage reading they give the pcm, the list goes on and on.
I guess i have just been burned so many times from aftermarket stuff i wont take a chance on it, if i have a customer that wants aftermarket parts thats fine just as long as they understand that i will not be standing behind warranty on the parts.
Shocks and front end parts dont cause alot of problems that will set off the check engine light or leave you stranded on the side of the road. I have no problem hanging a set of shocks on a truck from the aftermarket if the customer wants to go that way.
As for your ford deal that sounds like industry standard, parts not available, customer from out of town, no means of transportation, put em in a rental.
to each his own, your experince vs mine
have a good one :wave:

KevPH

To all the Wix/Napa filter fans out there.

Will Wix/Napa warranty or pay for damage incurred with the use for their product??
NO!

A cross referenced wix/napa filter may thread onto or fix your filter housing but may not/likely not meet the same specs. as recommended by the manufacturer.

I found this fact out the hard way! $$$ :()

Don't use Wix/Napa filters!

Baldwin filters are the best, period.
Will Baldwin pay damage incurred with the use of their product, YES!

There are reasons why the Class8 Transportion and off road heavy equipment garages/dealer carry Baldwin filters. Search a Baldwin dealer, and buy with confidence.
;)

Archdean

You guys want to weigh in RE: hydraulic filters you know,
  1. What is the difference if any to oil filters?
  2. Why do they cost at least 3 X's more?
  3. Is it just flow rate or more?
The reason I pose this ? is I was going to replace the no name filter on my log splitter and still have no reasonable explanation from the major filter manufactures of filters!

What are your thoughts?