massey 135

Mith

Quick one guys, what starting aids does a 135 have (3 cyl perkins)?

I can find 4 positions on the key switch. Middle appears to be off.
Anticlockwise there is a notch (I assumed glow plugs) then a little more anticlockwise the starter turns.
Clockwise from the center just engages the starter.

The tractor is in a bit of a state, no instructions or working guages left. Apparently it 'just stopped' shortly after being refuelled. not much to go on but hey, wouldn't want to make it too easy for me :D

Cheers

Mith

Thanks guys,
it looks like the 'mystery' position on the keyswitch is a thermostart.

I'm 99% sure that there is just a load of junk in the bottom of the fuel tank restricting flow, but I'll rig up a temp tank to make sure it starts and runs OK before I clean it out.

Mith

Sure enough, loads of junk plugging the fuel tap. I unscrewed the fuel tap and put my finger in the hole to stop the fuel pouring out. Cleaned the tap out with my remaining hand and reinstalled. Bled it all though and away it went. :D

Cheers folks.

Mark777

Thanks guys,
it looks like the 'mystery' position on the keyswitch is a thermostart.

I'm 99% sure that there is just a load of junk in the bottom of the fuel tank restricting flow, but I'll rig up a temp tank to make sure it starts and runs OK before I clean it out.

Very interesting....I didn't realize the ol' Perkins 3 cylinders had a drip/igniter/start system? Who'da thunk:wink:

Glad you got her up and running!

Mith

Yup, this one sure did Mark. The heater plug which drips fuel onto a hot element type affair.
Could've done a dance when it started, it was getting pretty cold :D

zionview

The prison where I work has an old IH656 Hydro with the "drip" system of cold starting, we called it the "campfire" starting system. It works, but only if the operator has enough patience. This tractor handled a compost windrow turner, and hardly ever saw the inside of a building. Speaking of patience, they started it on ether so much, it won't start without it anymore.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mith is this what you found?

Mark, I wonder if the Thermostart heating unit we see on our Yanmars was first used on these Masseys.

The one Yanmar uses *is* a Perkins part, or at least a licensed replica. I read somewhere that Yanmar signed a cross-licensing agreement with Perkins around 1970 and I expect this was what it was for.

Pictured below is my Yanmar's original Thermostart and the box for the identical replacement.

This was only $15 at a ThermoKing dealer compared to $65 through Yanmar aftermarket channels.

For these, the instructions say to fill the reservoir bottle with diesel. When you turn your key, this element heats and lets some diesel dribble into the heating element (like the cigarette lighter in a car) where the fuel burns and warms the intake manifold. 10-15 seconds preheating is recommended before attempting a start. Repeat if needed.

DSCN5123Thermostart&PerkinsBox.jpg

Mark777

Yes California, the exact same thought had crossed my mind.

Good business I think, where a company incorporates everything that is realiable, durable and with a proven track record....then build it into their product. I just didn't realize it's copied from domestic Iron like the Massey tractors.

btw: aren't many of the refrigeratred truck trailers cooled by Yanmar diesel engines?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I just didn't realize it's copied from domestic Iron like the Massey tractors.

btw: aren't many of the refrigerated truck trailers cooled by Yanmar diesel engines?
Perkins Corp could even be British, or originated in Britain. I think they have evolved into a company that has accumulated a lot of patents worldwide.

Yes, I bought that Perkins Thermostart unit at a ThermoKing dealer. ThermoKing uses Yanmar diesels in their refrigeration units that you see mounted high on the front of a semitrailer. I think ThermoKing might be a cheaper source of Yanmar rebuild parts if you can find some crossovers.

I'm not sure, but I think the 2TR20 engine(YM2000) has a direct twin in the late 70's ThermoKing units.

Mith

This tractor is back to causing issues.
Runs about 10 minutes then quits. You bleed it again and it'll go another 10 mins then die.
New fuel tap, fuel pump, filters... (Yup, they were all full of junk, see attached picture of fuel pump). It does appear to be starving of fuel when it dies.

I'm wondering if the tank is not venting properly, do these tanks have a vented fuel cap or a separate vent?

Attachments

• Image178.jpg
    Image178.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 62

Mith

Dan, yours has a flat metal cap with a rubber sort of disc inside it?
If thats the case I'm going to stab a hole in it, that'll sort it.