MF 30b problems

Bill Ramsey

I recently purchased a sitting and rotting 30b skiploader from a widow. knowledge of any prior mechanical problems died with the owner. Two hydraulic arms were missing from the loader, and later found in the garage, disassembled.
I have installed 4 rebuilt cylinders on the loader ($$$), installed a good used tire on the rear so now it rolls, fixed the wiring so it starts with a key (not a screwdriver on the starter solenoid), changed engine oil and filter. new muffler with rain cap.
I checked the transmission fluid it was empty. added 5 gallons of tractor fluid from local TSC. level on dipstick is good.

It has two shifter sticks, and pedals for reverse and forward. It will drive forward and reverse when you press the pedal and wait a few seconds. drive forward, stop. press reverse and wait. Bam, it starts moving. What is the problem here?

Also, the rear gannon only goes up or down when tractor is in motion and does not stay up. might be related.

I have the service manual, but don't know what the problem is in the first place.

Thanks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

I'm far from a hydraulics expert but one thing I see a lot is cheap hyd fluid really messing up tranny performance.

I'd probably start by draining out that TSC fluid (dump it back in its container since it should be OK to user for the loader) and replace with MF Perma-Tran fluid (or possibly JD HyGard with the same specs) and see what that does for you.

Bill Ramsey

the problem was in the linkage. it was all stiff. there is springs that need to move a lever. I sprayed some PB Blaster all over it and it came back to life.