David Brown 990

Mark.Sibole

Hello all,
I just picked up a 1970 david brown 990 selectmatic for moving snow piles and dragging logs around and for grading my driveway.
I was told it was fully functional and gave 3500 for it.
It has a strong diesel in it all hydrolycs work and functional.
I do have 1 minor problem and i I consider a major problem.
Minor problem is the front bucked sags or creeps even when unloaded and im sure its just the hydrolyc lever needs seals so thats an easy fix.The major issue is when i got it home i noticed the right front inside wheel bearing is completly gone.
I picked up bearings races and a new seal today and dealer bent me over hard unfortunatly.Will never go back there again ill order off line.Now my quandry is when i took it apart it looks like it wasnt but back together right or mickey moused together and may be missing parts or a part that they call a sleeve -oil seal.Does anyone here know anything about the david brown 990 or similar models are case?
If im spending the time and money to fix it i want to do it right but things like a 55 dollar washer im not willing to pay that kind of money to a dealership.
Wife is already chewing on my bum about it and im hoping someone here can help me get the machine functionable without causing a divorce.

Regards

Mark

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on the new to you tractor. Good luck with the wife. I agree with doing it right but I've no clue on this. Good luck all the way around.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Case IH parts books are online at many dealers' websites, including Messicks. The entry I found for the David Brown 990 Selectmatic was for tractors built from 1/71 to 12/76, and shows the part number to be K906569. I checked three different dealers and found prices from $51.00 to $52.69. A web search for that part number turned up one available used from Washington state from anyone but a dealer. I don't think there's much choice but to buy from a Case IH dealer, sorry.

Good luck

Fred

Mark.Sibole

Thanks all.
After days of research on this i found they used 3 different spindles.1 in a 7 inch height 1 in a 10 inch height and 1 in an 18 inch height.All have different sized bearings and parts.I finally tracked down a few spindles in my size that will work.Im gunna pull the other side to make sure all things match and pray this wasnt pieced together by mickey mouse.
I have a line on 1 used spindle in good shape for 110 and 1 for 157 and 1 for 189.Ill have to return the bearings and races i have now because they gace me the wrong parts and get bew bearings and races for the right side and hope nothing else is bad.Wife is already on my arse as it isnt as drive and go as I thought lol.
Ill keep you informed and add pics when i have a chance if you are interested in an antique tractor.

Mark

Mark.Sibole

Ordered new spindle old one was to far gone IMO.
Will get that installed with new races and bearings then order a power steering rebuild kit.
Power steering pump will be a bear to take off unless i totally remove the front loader section.
Here is an image of it as it sits waiting on the spindle
20141103_150758.jpg

Mark.Sibole

A lot of progress made today.
Spindle came in and installed it with new bearings and all greased up.
Tomorrow is oil filter change and oil and check the rest of the fluids.
Hopefully all will be well with it.
In a few weeks ill order the power steering pump rebuild kit fix that then rebuild the spool and it (pray to god ) will be good to go.

Regards

Mark