L35 GST grinds and will not engage

rwgagnon

I have an L35 (late 1990's) with the DT or HSD (not sure how to tell). It has 2k plus hours on it, with the last 200 or so mine. Since I owned it, I have had to use the clutch to shift between forward and reverse with the left hand shuttle shift (the lever on the steering column) The gear changing from 0 through 8 (still) works fine without having to depress the clutch. I have developed the problem of the forward/reverse shift grinds and will not engage either direction even with the clutch fully depressed. If I put the gear shift into 0 position, I can then shift between forward and reverse.

The clutch does have the throw out bearing noise when sitting in neutral, but feels like it is working OK. The clutch holds fine with no slipping in any gear and all hydraulic operations work, including steering. 2wd to 4wd shift also works fine.

I am hoping that someone can give me some idea on what to look for to either adjust or replace, preferably without having to split the machine. I can live with the throwout bearing noise if it saves me from pulling everything apart. Bringing it to the local dealer is a last resort as the cost to have them work on it is extremely expensive.

Last edited: