RUST PREVENTION on RTV900

rapracing

Okay! Never heard of Fluid Film but sounds great. I just found a place on the big auction site that has 12 - 11.75oz cans for $79.42 shipped. Seemed like a good price from what I see. What else do I need to apply this or can I spray right from the cans?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang, that's a great price!!! Can you tell us who has it at that price? I normally get from http://www.kellsportproducts.com and I just checked and it's $107.40.

I'd get at least one case, maybe more. Once you use it once, you'll go through 2-3 cans one day hitting everything in the house, shop and vehicles.

You spray it right out of the can. It'll come with one of those little red hoses that attach to the spray nozzle so you can hit the tight areas.

If they have it at that price, check out a gallon jug. If you can get it for under $45-50 it may be worthwhile getting one of those as well. This gets applied with a paint brush. Works great for larger areas. Snow plow blades, under the mower deck... (when you're done brushing it on, just stick the brush in a plastic grocery bag or ziplock bag. The stuff doesn't harden so the brush remains good. You just want to keep it clean).

DIXIEDOG

Okay! Never heard of Fluid Film but sounds great. I just found a place on the big auction site that has 12 - 11.75oz cans for $79.42 shipped. Seemed like a good price from what I see. What else do I need to apply this or can I spray right from the cans?

You can spray it right from cans if you want but I purchase it by the gallon and spray it with an undercoating gun....the gallon stuff is considerably thicker than the spray can stuff is and it goes on heavier and the higher pressure allows you to get into crevices you can't with an aerosol can

DIXIEDOG

Dang, that's a great price!!! Can you tell us who has it at that price? I normally get from http://www.kellsportproducts.com and I just checked and it's $107.40.

I'd get at least one case, maybe more. Once you use it once, you'll go through 2-3 cans one day hitting everything in the house, shop and vehicles.

You spray it right out of the can. It'll come with one of those little red hoses that attach to the spray nozzle so you can hit the tight areas.

If they have it at that price, check out a gallon jug. If you can get it for under $45-50 it may be worthwhile getting one of those as well. This gets applied with a paint brush. Works great for larger areas. Snow plow blades, under the mower deck... (when you're done brushing it on, just stick the brush in a plastic grocery bag or ziplock bag. The stuff doesn't harden so the brush remains good. You just want to keep it clean).

That's what they sell it for on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUID-FILM-CORROSION-PROTECTION-11-75OZ-AEROSOL-12-PACK-/281179045970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417793c052

rapracing

You can spray it right from cans if you want but I purchase it by the gallon and spray it with an undercoating gun....the gallon stuff is considerably thicker than the spray can stuff is and it goes on heavier and the higher pressure allows you to get into crevices you can't with an aerosol can

I don't have a gun but could probably get one. Do you have to dilute it from the gallon can or just apply it straight.

What kind of pressure to you apply it with?

How about shelf life on the spray? on the gallon cans? Looking at picking up some of each.

Where's a Good place to get a gun??

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How about shelf life on the spray? on the gallon cans? Looking at picking up some of each.
I haven't found the end of the shelf life. I don't think the stuff goes bad, ever. I have spray cans that are a few years old, kept in a shop that freezes and it still comes out fine although I always raise the temp of the can above freezing before using.

rapracing

I had sent you a PM because I didn't know if I could post the place on open forum but I see someone else did. That is the same place I found it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Feel free to post to sites that are of benefit. We have no problem with established members doing it. New members may be spammers so we look at their links closely.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a gun but could probably get one. Do you have to dilute it from the gallon can or just apply it straight.

I've always used a brush so I too would like to hear about sprayer techniques.

Here's a spray can, 2 gallon jugs and a sprayer for $99.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluid-Film-...d-Lubricant-use-as-undercoating-/160873987772

rapracing

Well I hope I like the stuff as much as you all do. Just ordered spray cans and gallon cans along with a spray gun. I have a bunch of places I can put it

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have the fluid film sprayer. It puts on a thick coat. The aerosol cans "fizz" this sprayer doesn't. I bought a 5 gallon pail and it came with 2 empty qt containers that the sprayer screws on. Also has a dabbing brush included.. I reapply often- the mud seems to come off much easier.... collie

rapracing

I have the fluid film sprayer. It puts on a thick coat. The aerosol cans "fizz" this sprayer doesn't. I bought a 5 gallon pail and it came with 2 empty qt containers that the sprayer screws on. Also has a dabbing brush included.. I reapply often- the mud seems to come off much easier.... collie

bordercollie

I ordered one of their undercoat sprayers? Is that what you are using? If so, how much air pressure do you use? Maybe it will tell me when it comes

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
rap - take a look at the fluid film web site. There's a ton of places to use it besides your RTV.

Besides my RTV, ATV's, Tractors and implements, I use it quite often instead of oil on many other moving parts. E.g.
Squeaky hinges
Garage door hinges and rollers and opener track/chain
Belt dressing on squeaky belts
Battery terminals

Basically, if it needs a light lube or corrosion preventative, out comes the Fluid Film.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
bordercollie

I ordered one of their undercoat sprayers? Is that what you are using? If so, how much air pressure do you use? Maybe it will tell me when it comes

Rapracing, I just use the air compressor at the standard setting on the spray piece and plastic cup and it works fine. It will save a lot of time- very efficient as far as reaching into hard places like spring leafs. I have to apply it pretty often. Not a super fine mist but good. and fine enough to go on nicely.
I did have the misfortune of spraying down my weed wiper with it and the rubber stripping curled.:hammer: Cost me $80 to replace.. won't do that again.. But I should have tested it... my bad. Now when my bucket runs out, I will get another. collie

ps I like your statement at the base of your posts. excellent!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Would a professional paint sprayer work for the Fluid Film ? I have several of them.

...... two guns

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Would a professional paint sprayer work for the Fluid Film ? I have several of them.

...... two guns

I don't see why not... I will try that next time.. will probably be a good way to lube the spray gun when it is idle for long too. collie

DIXIEDOG

I apply mine with 40 psi...more and it goes on too heavy and drips...less and it doesn't go as far.

I got my gun with 2 gallons of Fluid Film of Ebay a few years ago....I have seen them in regular auto parts stores as well...they should be under $20.

If you don't already have the Fluid Film you can get reasonable deals on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUID-FILM-1-Gallon-Kit-/160942177193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2578e6bba9

...... two guns

Not well...you will clog it up. An undercoating spray gun is just a 5/16" or so opening up through it....no atomization holes like a normal paint sprayer. Since Fluid Film bonds to metal it would be difficult to get your spray gun perfectly clean and it won't do any favors for paint.

rapracing

Thanks Dixie Dog

I ordered plenty I think for the time being. Also ordered an "OFFICIAL Fluid Film" spray gun. I needed an idea of what pressure you all were using. Saves me the experimentation